Utility Build Finsh Question

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

joshuab

Re: Utility Build Finsh Question

Postby joshuab » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:28 pm

This paint was rolled and tipped, two coats of prekote, two coats of brightside blu glo white then masked off a boot stripe and two coats of brightside flag blue, each coat was rolled with a mini 4" foam roller then tipped with a $10 synthetic bristle brush, kept my garage @ 65 deg and used scotch brite pads to completely scuff the entire surface after letting each coat dry for at least 24hrs. I did notice much above 65 degrees and the paint would start to tack up before it flowed out smooth, so temp was critical. I did not thin any of the paint or primer just straight out of the can, the paint is not perfect but much better than i thought i could ever get it, it can be done but was a steep learning curve for me, hope this helps,...josh
Attachments
20150519_203357.jpg
Brightside
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 am

That blue is pretty, I'll be overjoyed if I can get mine looking that good!

largej

Postby largej » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:38 am

Hi Josh,
Thanks - getting a lot of useful info. I am using the same Jamestown paint and think it yours looks great. I am still struggling with getting the paint to flow and set-up w/o brush marks. I am doing everything in my basement, I live in upstate NY, so temp is pretty constant at 65-68. I spoke to folks at Jamestown and they said humidity can be an issue. Low is bad as it dries out the paint too quick. They said it is not easy to roll tip to a perfect finish for the first-timer...not too encouraging.
How many coats did you put on and do you use anything to "seal" the paint?
Thanks - Jim

largej

Postby largej » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Folks,
I am back with my latest painting issue. I have about 6 coats of the Brightside paint on and can not get the final coat to finish without steaks. I have tried thinning at 10% and even a little more on the last coat in effort to help it flow. Jamestown said I am doing everything correctly. This is my 3rd attempt at the final coat. Can I wet sand and buff out at this point since I have such a good base? Here are some pics to illustrate Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions - Jim
The attachment IMG_1832.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_1832.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
IMG_1834.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Since there is no clear coat like automotive finishes wet-sanding and buffing tends to make the finish a duller/softer look but it will smooth it out.

Whats your process? Using foam rollers then tipping with a brush? Are you using a foam brush or bristle?

largej

Postby largej » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:56 pm

I have tried both - good quality brush and foam brush. I roll tip. Tried rolling only 4 widths (I use 3" rollers) and then last time I did just 2 widths. Results are pretty much the same. Thinning seams to work but that's when I get the brush strokes - but not all the boat - the front of the hull "V" section is perfect...Seems like the problem is most prevalent on the flat aft section of the hull.
What if I lightly sanded, and used a clear poly spar varnish like Helmsman? I can dilute it and wipe on with a cloth?

I can't wait to flip but I want to get the hull perfect since I took so much time to get the surface perfectly smooth.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Are you using foam rollers? Foam rollers put the paint on very thin and consistent. If you are using rollers with a nap like you would for household painting you are probably getting the paint on too thick then when you go to tip it you get the marks that don't go away. Try the 6" white foam rollers, they are about the size of a Bratwurst and put the paint on thin. Sorry you are having trouble, I loved using Interlux because it was so easy to use and came out so smooth, wish I did my Zip with it. I put it on just like this video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo

largej

Postby largej » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:04 am

Thank for the video link. Yes, I have been using foam rollers as well. I really have tried to do everything to the book - I even was exact with 10% dilution rates on the paint/brushing liquid for the last two attempts. I ordered another quart of paint and will keep on trying. When I 1st started I was getting ridges because I was using too much paint. Now I wonder if I am not using enough, although it looks good immediately after I lay it down. It looks OK after drying up-front (looking aft)so I must be doing something correctly.
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG

gap998

Postby gap998 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Ok, I've never done this, so I may be talking nonsense; but I notice that the lines seem to be continuous along the length of the hull. On the video he paints in small vertical sections, so that the tipping is always done into flowing paint; are you perhaps doing too large sections and tipping into drying paint?

Hope you work it out - Painting is the bit that I'm dreading, so I'm hoping I can benefit from your experience!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

largej

Postby largej » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:06 am

Hi Gary,
Good and really important point. I made that mistake at the beginning. I was rolling about a foot in a half width (4-5 roller widths) and was tipping into tacky paint - felt like a 'dragging' on the brush when I went into the "wet-edge" I since have kept the width to about 6 inches. But, I really think the real problem is the paint is drying too fast. I increased the amount of thinner and I moved all my lights away from the boat. My frustration is I prep to a perfectly smooth surface (wet sand with 600 grit), paint and have these issues and then need to repeat the process. I should have used grey primer so I can tell when I have gone all the way back in time to when I was priming. My wife is wondering if it will ever get flipped. I plan on spraying the sides - another new adventure! Stay tuned. This forum is great for information.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Again, maybe my thinking is awry, but thinners evaporate quickly; thick paint skins over but remains soft underneath for a while - maybe you are now over-thinning and its a temperature/humidity issue? Like I said, I don't know - just brain-storming.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

largej

Postby largej » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 am

Finally!
I was able to finish the bottom to a nice, mirror look. Turned out to be a combination of proper thinning (10%) and doing small strips to maintain the wet edge. Here are a few pics - the spray rail and stem strip are mahogany and side has the base coat (beige) for now - I will finsh that last.
Flip went well with ropes; now back to carpentry work and finishing the inside.
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG
Thanks everyone for suggestions and helping me through this phase

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 am

Love it :!: Nice contrast between mahogany and beige.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:51 am

Very very nice. Beautiful contrast. First time I've seen something like that
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Painting”