Painting over Epoxy

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

John_C

Painting over Epoxy

Postby John_C » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 am

Hey guys,

I'm in the final stages of fiberglassing and I'm wondering how long I need to let the epoxy dry before I can paint.

Thanks,
-John

chugalug

Re: Painting over Epoxy

Postby chugalug » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:09 am

:D I'm following Roberta's advice to wait at least 2 weeks for epoxy to cure before applying varnish.I'm also assuming that applies to paint too.I washed down hull and wiped down hull with a grease remover that I got from auto parts store.then put primer and bottom paint on .
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

galamb

Postby galamb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Most of the tech support notes from epoxy mfg's say a week @ room temperature.

In cooler or more humid climates you should give extra time for a full cure.

Some of the "how long" will depend also on which brand and hardener speed you used and whether your epoxy developed a little or a lot of blush.

Waiting two weeks, while may cause some thumb twiddling and pacing back and forth, is probably advisable unless you built in a climate controlled shop - no sense rushing and having issues.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

I've never found this to be an issue. By the time I put on a few filler coats, let it cure enough to sand it, and sand it till I'm happy with it. It has had plenty of time.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:10 pm

I've got two coats of epoxy over the cloth, sanded to 120, on my way to 1200 over the Mahogany. In the process, I can see some weave showing in a few spots, but have not gone through it to the wood. When I wipe these areas with thinner, the weave does not show. Do I need to recoat the weave spots with epoxy and carefully resand, or just continue sanding and they will also disappear with the clear polyU coat? If I do have some issues after the first coat, can I not sand with 1000/1200 and re-spray another coat of polyU?

red

Postby red » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:18 pm

probably need to add some epoxy if you burn thru you will see the cloth even after you cleat it. What clear are you going to use? Sanding all the way to 1200 will not leave enough tooth for it to bite too the finest grit even for auto motive would usually be 800 I normally only go to 600 for that

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm only concerned about the Mahogany, since I will put several coats on the painted part, sanding in between.

There are a fair number of spots where I can see weave. Again, they feel smooth, now at 240 grit. I'm not into the cloth at all, just visually.

I'm using automotive paint and clear coat. The guys at the shop are talking about 1200, but I agree with you. I think 600 is as far as I'll go.

If I use more than one coat of clear, do you think the weave will show?

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:40 am

My experience with my transom and the weave of the cloth over the stained finish is that the clear will make the weave completely disappear. However, if there is any roughness, it will show through any paint, so if necessary, best to give it another coat. I had a few spots like that as well and didn't take any chances.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks. I did a test section of the bottom paint and you could see the weave very slightly. So I sanded it with 600 and painted it again. Now it's perfect. So I think that is going to work for the painted section. I'm thinking the clear will be the same deal. Nothing wrong with two coats of clear as far as I can tell, and it's not a big deal once set up. A quick once over with 600 and a final coat. The only other option I can think of is to recite with epoxy, which means going back to 120 on the whole hull again. Not anxious to do that :-( It's also possible to spot treat the weave sections with epoxy, but that also just doesn't seem necessary.

Return to “Painting”