No more EZ-Poxy2

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

bobinpowayca

No more EZ-Poxy2

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:12 am

Howdy, I'm getting ready to paint my Geronimo and had decided on Twilight Blue EZ-Poxy2 LPU - they only had one quart left at west marine, none at Jamestown Distributors - I called Pettit and guess what? they have discontinued the EZPoxy2 and are working on a new formulation.
Well, I'm glad I didn't start the job and then find out I couldn't get any more of the same paint!
Does anyone have any suggestions for another two part polyurethane? I plan on rolling and tipping, not spraying. Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0372.JPG
Bob

mrintense

Re: No more EZ-Poxy2

Postby mrintense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:04 pm

I will have to make this decision myself in the next few months. I have not even begun to research this yet although I have seen references to various paint brands.

I keep hearing good things about Interlux Brightsides but I wouldn't know that from a bottle of finger paint from Walmart at this point! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi Carl, Do you plan on using a one part paint or two part? I probably will do the 2 part for durability although the Interlux Brightside has more color options that I like than the Interlux Perfection (2part).
By the way I called the tech rep at both manufacturers (Pettit re: EZ-Poxy 2 and Interlux re: Perfection) to ask them if it was necessary to use a primer before applying their product. I've heard from some that it shouldn't be necessary to prime a properly cleaned and sanded epoxy resin coating - that made sense to me.
The guy at Interlux said yes, you need to use their primer. However, the guy at Pettit said priming was not necessary, you could put the LPU right onto the resin coating. That made my decision to use EZ-Poxy2 vs. Perfection, until I found out they're discontinuing it! I asked why and he said the product just wasn't moving......
Any thoughts on the necessity of priming? Bob
Bob

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:35 pm

bobinpowayca wrote:Hi Carl, Do you plan on using a one part paint or two part? I probably will do the 2 part for durability although the Interlux Brightside has more color options that I like than the Interlux Perfection (2part).
By the way I called the tech rep at both manufacturers (Pettit re: EZ-Poxy 2 and Interlux re: Perfection) to ask them if it was necessary to use a primer before applying their product. I've heard from some that it shouldn't be necessary to prime a properly cleaned and sanded epoxy resin coating - that made sense to me.
The guy at Interlux said yes, you need to use their primer. However, the guy at Pettit said priming was not necessary, you could put the LPU right onto the resin coating. That made my decision to use EZ-Poxy2 vs. Perfection, until I found out they're discontinuing it! I asked why and he said the product just wasn't moving......
Any thoughts on the necessity of priming? Bob

Well as I mentioned, I've only given this a very small amount of thought so far so I cannot say which is better (1 or 2 part), however when I was in the military, all aircraft paints were 2 part so I would tend to believe they are more durable. I want my paint job to last a long time and like everything else about my build, I am going to spend money when necessary on the things that matter and save on the things I feel I can compromise on. Painting is one of those things I feel matter so I will be leaning in that direction.

As for priming, I don't see how you can possibly be sure you have a smooth hull until you prime and test. My plan is to prime, sand, prime again and sand again if necessary until I get the smoothness I am looking for. Then paint, sand, paint, sand until that's where I want it.

I am not sure which is more expensive (primer or paint) but if it's paint then I am going to concentrate on primer for smoothness so I can minimize the number of repeat coats of final paint for smoothness. But as mentioned I do want a durable coat so I won't skimp on the final paint coats either.

I suppose I need to start researching this more so at the very least I can start saving for it. Still seems kind of distant because I am still not even at the fiberglass stage yet. :?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes Carl, given the effort it takes to prepare for painting I always try to get the best I can find regardless of cost. I'm probably going to go with the Interlux Perfection and do the proper priming. My last coat of epoxy came out pretty bad on the bottom - lots of "cratering" and orange peel so now I'm sanding down the bottom for a final resin coat - then the whole boat gets sanded with 220 and I'm ready to paint.
I think the resin coats are coming out bad because of the heat. I tried to put the last coat on really thin, and started in the morning when it was around 75, but it gets damn hot here lately. I'm going to wait for a cool spell before the last resin coat - and definitely when painting.
I wonder if I should "roll and tip" the resin coats.... Bob
Bob

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:09 pm

bobinpowayca wrote:...snipped ...
I think the resin coats are coming out bad because of the heat. I tried to put the last coat on really thin, and started in the morning when it was around 75, but it gets damn hot here lately. I'm going to wait for a cool spell before the last resin coat - and definitely when painting.
I wonder if I should "roll and tip" the resin coats.... Bob

The heat here is too high in the summer for fiberglassing. I am within a couple of weeks of being ready to fiberglass, but I plan to wait until October so that it will be cooler. Of course, that helps with the expense side as well since I don't currently have enough funds yet to fiberglass! :oops: :oops:

I brushed and tipped my frames two years ago and tipping does help some, but resin is not like paint and won't level as well. So some roughness will occur no matter how careful you are.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

specialk

Postby specialk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 am

well... I wish I would have listened to y'all ...I used Supermarine Paint... There primers have held up good.. it was a 2part epoxy... there Mono-Epoxy that comes in colors... not good ... I have had to fix several places on the bottom of my flats flyer.. and I promised the person I talked with on the phone that I would let everyone that would hear me preach ... that there paint was NO GOOD... Thank You I am feeling better...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Well, SpecialK, I'm now in a bit of quandry on paint selection and your comment got my attention.
So, I was going with EZPoxy2 from Pettit until I found out the reason they were out of the color I wanted is because they have discontinued that product.
(by the way I plan on using a 2 part polyurethane).
Then I figured Interlux's Perfection is good stuff, except their color selections are very limited and they just didn't have what I wanted.
So I found "Supermarine" paint on the internet - had to send them $10 for their color chart - and it has every color in the rainbow (about 200), just like wall paints. "Ironside" is their 2 part polyurethane. But this is part of "Top Secret Coatings", or "National Paint Supply" , or vice-versa, so I'm a little skeptical using a product I've never heard of. I think I may have used this product a couple of years ago to refinish a swimming pool slide - I got it from an independent marine paint supply in San Diego that Sherwin-Williams took over. Pretty bad but it was outside in August!
Anyway, I don't know if we're supposed to advocate suppliers on this site, but I would appreciate any comments on Supermarine polyurethane, or suggestions for other paints. I'm looking for a lighter green than Interlux Perfection's jade. Thanks shipmates, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0402.JPG
boat won't fit in picture!
IMG_0403.JPG
first coat of primekote
Bob

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:58 pm

For what it's worth - my 2 cents.

On the bottom of my ZIP I used Interlux VC Performance Epoxy. It's been on over 4 years, in the water for a month at a time, many launches and retrievals, thousands of miles towing, and still solid as a rock. Caveat is that I did opt to have it shot by a pro.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Hello gd, thanks, that would be a great paint but I believe it's only in white. bob
Bob

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Some have had better luck than others with SuperMarine paints. I used SM1000 because they had the exact blue that matched my motor and I wanted simplicity of single part paint. It didn't go on as easy as Interlux paints I have used since but its been decent. My biggest issue has been abrasion resistance on the trailer bunks has not been great with SM and don't leave it in the water more than 3 days. I don't think I would use it again. Too many other good paints out there for not much more money. Check with your local PPG or Sherwin Williams to see if they can tint the Interlux paint a color that Interlux doesn't offer.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Yes, the VC is kinda like a Model T, you can have it in any color as long as it's black.

Did find the following:

A shopper asked: Does anyone know if this product can be tinted and if so, where can I get the tint additives? I plan to roll it on, probably 3 coats and finish with 1000 to a smooth finish. Dec 11, 2011
Answer this · Send to friends Good question? Yes (0) No (0)
Hide all 1 answers
LEONARD L: I use Interlux VC epoxy to repair fiberglass sailboats for a local community sailing association for kids. Like you, I had no guidance on tinting of the base white so I experimented. I have been successful in using tinting compounds purchased from West Marine that I have used for tinting gel coat. I have been able to tint the base white VC paint to match the decks of the 420 sailboats repaired. It is easy to do... you just have to experiment with the volumes of the tint used........ good luck.... .Lenny Lundquist, Charleston, SC Dec 13, 2011
Reply to LEONARD Good answer? Yes (0) No (0)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

falconer100

Postby falconer100 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:12 am

Hi, if it helps at all, on my barrelback I used a two part primer (interlux 2 coats) followed by 2 coats of two part interlux undercoat followed by four coats of one part Brightside. The finish is excellent with a high gloss which hasn't faded and resistant to the usual wear and tear, no scratches etc over last five years.
Martin.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Well I got the second coat of primekote on and need to order some paint. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a two part polyurethane other than interlux Perfection or Pettit - was thinking of SM's 2-part but I don't know. Thanks for any thoughts. Bob
Bob

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 am

I really liked using the Epifanes Two Part Poly-U. I rolled it on with no tipping necessary. I suggest getting some brushing thinner to thin the coats a bit by about 5-10%. It is expensive but really goes on well. I get about 100 sq. ft. per 750mg kit. It is milligram and not milliliter, so the kit is about 22 oz. You must use a quality roller with a phenolic core. This stuff will eat up most other rollers and even with the good rollers I needed to replace them as the foam loosened from the core.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Painting”