No more EZ-Poxy2

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

bobinpowayca

Re: No more EZ-Poxy2

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks Roberta, I will check that out. Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Yeah thanks again Roberta, I checked out their site and they have just the color green I want :D , that was the problem with the Interlux Perfection, didn't have color I wanted. Also I read Epifany's tech advice and it sure seems more full of conditions and cautions and pitfalls :( than Interlux's "easy as pie" info! I think I can apply it okay - I plan on painting my entire hull with it so it will be below the waterline but mostly on the trailer. I want something abrasion resistant basically.
Also they say to only use a nylon or goat skin :lol: roller - never heard of them! I did okay putting on the second coat of primekote with the white hot dog rollers and tipping with a foam brush, wonder if the epifanes would eat them up.. I think the yellow foam rollers from Glen-l have a phenolic core. Bob
Bob

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:08 am

The hot dog rollers will be eaten up almost immediately, so don't use those. The Glen L rollers are not phenolic core. Look for Redtree rollers. They have the ones I used. I haven't seen any goatskin or nylon rollers. I'll have to look for those.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:44 am

I think the goatskin rollers are the lambskin type. Also the nylon rollers are very nappy. Both seem too thick for this paint. The Epifanes needs to be applied thin or it will run or pile up. If it is overworked, using too much on the roller, it will start to flash and not leave a wet edge and leave roller marks. If these nappy rollers ever let loose, it could be a nightmare.

I used the Redtree 27311 rollers. They are 3/16" foam on a phenolic core. These worked the best for me. But you do need to watch for the cover separating from the core and change it out right away. I generally got through about half a 750mg kit with each roller. I called Epifanes and they admit that rollers do not stand up well with this paint. Spraying or brushing might be better. I did not want to spray and I am horrible at brushing.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

slug

Post by slug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:35 am

FYI; I've consistently used Duponts two part automotive urethane finishes. Think the new ones are called Duothane. They are tough, go on nicely, buff up nicely, and are available in any automotive or industrial colour. My Titan was painted with International red. When I got runs, they were easily wet sanded out and buffed.
Available at most automotive paint/body shop suppliers.

Doug

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks folks! I'm leaning towards the epifanes, Roberta; I like that you were able to roll it without having to tip it. I like Interlux but with all the work I'm putting into my boat I really don't want to put on a color I'm not happy with. Bob
Bob