Rolling and Tipping GERONIMO

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

bobinpowayca

Rolling and Tipping GERONIMO

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Well, after researching the forum, and other forums, google searches, you tube videos, manufacturers' application instructions, you name it,
I'm trying rolling and tipping my boat. Lots of different opinions out there!
The first coat of epoxy primekote I rolled on with the 7" yellow roller and that had pretty bad orange peel. I sanded it down with 150 grit and my RO sander; it was really easy to sand away too much.
Second coat of primekote I rolled on with the white 6" hot dog rollers and tipped with 4" foam brushes. That didn't look too bad, you could see the brush strokes though. I tipped it horizontally on the bottom and vertically on the sides. I sanded that down by hand with a rubber block and 320 grit paper.
Next - what these pictures are of - is my first coat of interlux perfection platinum. I used the 6" white hot dog rollers, and tipped with 4" foam brushes. This time (per some advice I read) I tipped "vertically" on both bottom and sides - i.e., tipped from the skeg to the spray rails on the bottom, and from the spray rails to the sheer on the sides.
By the way, I first painted the skeg, stem and spray rails with a 2" foam brush and after 2 coats they look great.
So, as the pictures show, here's my thoughts so far (I plan on at least 2 more coats):
First, it looks great from about fifteen feet away :D
But up close you see the brush marks - maybe I need a cooler day. But as you can see, under the spray rail it looks really bad :( Now this is where, after rolling, you start the downward tipping stroke, and every time it left a lot of paint and stubble at the start of the stroke - I tried to correct this with a horizontal sweep of the foam brush. I'm thinking this may be because the foam brush is so soft that when you start the stroke it tends to mush down.
I'm going to wet sand this coat with 320 grit. Next coat I may try a badger brush instead of the foam brush for tipping. In fact I'm not too bad with a brush - if I can't get good results tipping I may just try brushing it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_0423.JPG
bad under spray rails where tip stroke begins
IMG_0420.JPG
haze gray and under way!!
Bob

Dave Grason

Re: Rolling and Tipping GERONIMO

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm

I have never used any sort of roll and tip product so I'm no expert but...
Here is a link that shows how one is SUPPOSED to roll and tip this stuff:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... -+Interlux

I have a question. Do you mix this paint with a catalyst... or do you apply it straight out of the can to let it air dry?

I believe (and here I'm going to weasel by stating that I BELIEVE) that any paint that is catalyzed can be color sanded and buffed. Take a look at this link and then scroll down to page 10:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCen ... sa-eng.pdf

According to this tech sheet, you can color sand it and then buff to bring back the gloss. But overall, the life of the gloss may be reduced.

At any rate, I'm glad you shared this with us because I personally have really been wanting more and more forum members to chime in on the various paint processes that everyone has tried. Thank you much for sharing this information.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:09 am

Bob-
the surface looks like it had dried too much before it was tipped. pretty much has to be done hand in hand with the rolling. the Jamestown product application link that Dave posted is a good one.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 am

Also make sure that the product is thinned out a bit and always keep a wet edge. Never go back to an area that was painted even only a minute or two earlier. Like Billy said, if you tip, it should be immediately after rolling. Some products have a retarder that will slow down flashing or wait for cooler weather. Personally, I never tip the product. I let it level out on it's own.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am

But be careful about thinning too much. Like Roberta said, thin it a little but ONLY a little. Too much and you will lose a lot of gloss.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies. One thing that really differs in a lot of the tutorials etc I've seen is the advice on which direction to tip - some say tip horizontally (that'd be longitudinally), some say vertically (perpendicular to the keel or chine), some both, etc. One good reference said to always tip vertically so I thought I'd try that. But the worst part of my first coat was along the spray rails and the skeg - just where I was trying to initiate or end the "downward stroke" - I ended up having to try and smooth it out with a horizontal stroke and that boogared it up even worse.
So it may make sense for me to try tipping horizontally and get a good intersection at the skeg and rails. I may try that. And maybe a bristle brush vs. foam. And probably tipping at closer intervals - smaller areas at a time. Cooler weather. More thinner (?). I'll post pictures of my next effort!
Roberta, I'm wondering what kind of roller you used - did just the roller give you a good finish coat or did you have to polish or something?
Thanks a lot, Bob
Couple more closeups of first coat:
Attachments
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
Bob

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Bob

I always go long ways. If I get brush marks it looks more like wood.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I used Redtree 1/8" foam rollers on phenolic cores. I got a great finish with just the rollers. I did buff to remove dust particles that landed on the finish.

Roberta

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks again folks. Roberta, I hate to be a pest :oops: but what did you buff the finish with? Bob
Bob

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:06 am

I used 3000 and 5000 3M Trizact sanding pads and buffed using the 3M finese system of pads and compounds.

Roberta

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:03 am

Bob, I hope you can get it the way you want it but I think you're doing a great job.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't know if penetrol can be used as a thinner but if it can it goes a long wY towards eliminating brush marks
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Painting”