Rustoleum Boat Paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

tcough

Rustoleum Boat Paint

Post by tcough » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Was in Lowes this evening to pick up some rattle cans for a project for the LOML and saw these on the shelf. Don't know anything about them, but will start doing some research, maybe try a test piece just to see how it looks/applies. Has anyone else seen/used them?
Attachments
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

jcallends

Re: Rustoleum Boat Paint

Post by jcallends » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:31 am

Over the years Rustoleum has been a pretty dependable company and their paints have lived up to their claims. I recently used some water based primer of theirs, the claim that it will work anywhere. It went on fast and dried quick. Think you are right in trying it first. Do they sell quarts?

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:59 am

I used this paint for my waterline boot stripe. So far so good.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 am

I also used it in dark Green for the boot stripe on my kayak. Was only a 3/4" stripe so hard to tell but worked fine. Curiously, the local Lowes I bought it at no longer carries it.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Did a quick check on line. Lowe's online does carry the paints, but it must be a low selling item because all the stores I checked had zero inventory, so seems to only be available online. Like other marine paints, not too many color choices, however, maybe Lowe's can mix them like they do with house paints and using color cards.

On second thought, maybe not. Well certainly worth asking.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

tcough

Post by tcough » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 pm

jcallends wrote:Over the years Rustoleum has been a pretty dependable company and their paints have lived up to their claims. I recently used some water based primer of theirs, the claim that it will work anywhere. It went on fast and dried quick. Think you are right in trying it first. Do they sell quarts?
They were only selling it in quarts. They also had a non-skid additive in pint sizes. There is one topside line for metal boats and another for fiberglass/wood boats.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Tracy

A table spoon of clean beach sand is all you need for non-skid per quart. Nothing magic about it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:14 am

I have that stuff painted on the Plywood floor of my Jon boat. It has their non-skid powder mixed in. It has held up well and I have scrubbed it with a stiff brush several times to clean. The Plywood has cracked quite a bit because it was not encapsulated. I've had it on there about five years.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:18 am

I am restoring a plywood row boat.
Stripped all the paint off an used west system to fiberglass the bottom.
I wanted a Gloss color on for the bottom. Did not want antifouling paint, as the boat will not sit in the water for long periods of time.
So I used Rustoleum Gloss black oil based Enamel Paint. Turned out great.
Jeff
Attachments
1208151557a.jpg

kamisue

Post by kamisue » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:16 pm

my plans called for oil based enamel. Rustoleum was the only can that had oil based in big enough letters to see without my reading glasses. The only change I made was originally I thought gloss white might look pretty and after painting the daggerboardbox decded I needed somethig a little less bright. So I switched to almond. Slathered that stuff on with six inch rollers, 6 coats and I'm happy. A couple of things I did that needed a touchup, I used the same color in a rattlecan. My boat isn't a show piece but it floats.
Attachments
IMG_38061 (1).jpg
2015-05-31 14.07.22.jpg