varnish problems

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

chugalug

varnish problems

Post by chugalug » Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Put second coat of Epifanes on door yesterday,after waiting 24 hrs to recoat from first coat.First coat went well after 2 weeks cure of epoxy.washed with dish soap,rinsed, and let dry then sanded and wiped down with clean t-shirt.first coat was nice and glossy but had a few imperfections,so sanded with 220 grit then wiped down and second coat.now today the varnish looks like this:
IMG_0821[1].JPG
What went wrong.Wrinkle city.will have to sand down and try again.
Last edited by chugalug on Sat May 07, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Adrock1

Re: varnish problems

Post by Adrock1 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 am

Looks like it needed to dry a bit longer between coats.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 07, 2016 5:12 am

:D Thanks for info.the can says 24 hrs between coats.I might have extended that a few hours .however it might have been too cool on first coat and that extended the time needed.Didn't want to do boat if I would have problems so trying the varnish on the pilothouse backdoor.The temps outside on the second coat was 90,but shop was a little cooler.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat May 07, 2016 7:32 am

My guess is you are putting the varnish on too thick. Thin coats are the best way to apply Epifanes varnish. Make sure the coat is dry before applying the next coat and sand and clean between coats. When I redid the Zip with Epifanes, I waited two days between coats.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 am

:D Thanks ,Roberta.I thought it looked a little thick.maybe cause varnish was cool.(sat on top of metal tablesaw overnight and cooler nights.read somewhere to put on full strength and only thin for first coat.maybe let the varnish can warm up in sink and warm water :roll: :roll:most of it scraped off and will try sanding later.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Sat May 07, 2016 10:33 am

Chug:
I agree fully with what Roberta said about thin coats. When I was applying Epifanes varnish, I found that for all of the coats I applied, it was best if I thinned the varnish by about 25%. I used Epifanes thinner to do that. I also used those thin foam rollers that Glen-L sells, in an effort to keep the coats as thin as possible.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 07, 2016 10:51 am

:D I suppose also that the door was laid flat instead of upright too.gave the varnish a chance to pool instead of running off.also too many variables with temps in shop too.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat May 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Chug, if that stuff is staying gummy, you may need to scrape it all to bare wood. I had trouble with Epifanes on epoxy. It would not harden. You could use a two part poly u on the epoxy.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 07, 2016 2:57 pm

:D Thanks ,Roberta.The first coat over epoxy looked fine to me;just had probs with second coat.was gummy when scraped off this morn.I wanted to try on door as it could be replaced easily.I used regular spar varnish(no epoxy ) on inside of door and put two coats of that the same day.
IMG_0822[1].JPG
got a start for my library :wink:got Abby's Bo-jest book to add later

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun May 08, 2016 2:09 pm

:D Scraped down door and am trying thinner coat of varnish also warmed varnish can by putting in coffee can half full of hot water.also did thin coat on side of cabin after wash down with grease and wax remover.will see what happens.if all else fails ,I can always paint wood same color.

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Sun May 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi Chug,
If this were a car in my shop, I would say that the undercoats got softened by the top coat. When that happens, the solvents from the new coat go both down into the old layers as well as up into the air. Some of the coatings out there like Miss Roberta eluded to like thinned coats. I would add, that the reducer or thinner used should be as fast as climate will allow. The slower thinners will also aggravate the situation. And remember, there are a number of reasons for sanding. One of those being that when you sand the finish, the exposed surface is now "fresher", and should have a good time to dry too. The plethora of exotic epoxies and enamals being produced have this attribute much more than the lacquers of yester-year, (albethey more flexable). Keep at it, with enough coats you can eventually get a good one... :lol:
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon May 09, 2016 7:08 am

:D Am somewhat happy with first coat of varnish on sides of cabin.wiped epoxy down with this stuff(epoxy was applied there last year though)
IMG_0825[1].JPG
Am really happy with fold-up table as I had applied thin coat of tabletop coating over epoxy
IMG_0823[2].JPG
will let door and cabin side cure more for a few days.how many coats of varnish should I apply for protection?

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat May 21, 2016 6:34 am

:D Washed pilothouse down with wax and grease remover and rinsed yesterday.Am going to try putting on varnish this morn.will be thinning mix a little,hope all goes well.