Brightsides application questions

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

BillS

Brightsides application questions

Post by BillS » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 am

For those of you who have used Brightsides paint, what was your method of sanding in between coats? Did you sand with a power sander or by hand, either on a block or bare handed?

Did you tip with a brush or foam applicator ans how much pressure worked best for you?

After the final coat, did you leave as is or try to add an extra step of polishing with something?

I would love to see what methods worked for anyone.

vupilot

Re: Brightsides application questions

Post by vupilot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:43 am

I didn't use it on my Zip but used it on my Kayak. I sanded with 320 between coats by hand mostly without a block because the kayak has nearly no level portions. I rolled it on with those white 6" foam rollers that are about the size of a bratwurst and I tipped with a bristle brush, just enough pressure to flex the bristles so they all contact the surface. Work in small sections and keep a wet edge. It came out amazing.

Here is a great video of the technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo

BillS

Post by BillS » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 am

Thanks for the reply vupilot. I have seen that video and it illustrates the technique very well.

My first coat application a couple days ago went pretty well but you could still see where I stopped one section and began the next. I was using a foam brush to tip and decided to go to a standard bristle brush and use a little more pressure to see if that helped.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:50 am

Temperature will affect the working time and when its warmer youll have to move a lot faster than the guy in the video does. It appears he is working in ideal indoor temps. You can also add paint conditioner to help the paint flow for a longer period of time and that will help. You can get them at Lowes and Home Depot in the paint department. They are made by the brand "Flood" and they make one for oil based paints and one for latex based paints. Penetrol and Flotrol I think they are called, just be sure you get the right one. Since I was turned onto them I now use them anytime I am painting anything outdoors in the summer months.

BillS

Post by BillS » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:55 am

I'm in an insulated garage with a window unit AC for temp control but it still must be a bit warm. Running the air seems to cause more dust issues, though so I would rather not use it.

I bought conditioner yesterday and tried it. Thanks for the advice vupilot, it made a difference!
You have to watch out for runs but no brush strokes to be seen.

Now I just have to find a way to reduce the dust that settles on the surface.

shandman

Post by shandman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:59 pm

I have 3 coats of Brightsides single part primer (grey) on my Bullet hull, wet sanded w/ 320. So far so good. Now its time for the top coat. The boat will only see fresh water, and most likely will not stay in the water more than a few weeks at a time, possibly a month or two in the Summer. It strikes me that I don't need bona fide 'bottom' paint for this application. Will single part Brightsides top coat work sufficiently well and look good (assuming decent application work)? Should I consider a 2-part top coat? I'm uncertain how a 2-part works on a 1-part primer.
Art Shand

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Pretty sure they recommend 7 days in the water at a maximum with brightsides. Call and ask Interlux what they suggest for your desires.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:46 am

Art

As Chris said, check with Interlux. Normally, it's not recommended to put two-part over one-part paint. Interlux may have a suitable bottom. I've said many times here, bottom paint goes on the bottom, topside paint goes on the sides, deck, and above the waterline.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build