Marking Waterline

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

BobD

Marking Waterline

Post by BobD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 pm

I am building the Riviera - the plans provide instruction on where to mark the waterline as '2 inches above the setup level' at the stern - but provide the 'waterline' is 1 and a half inches wide tapering out to two inches at the bow - so is the 'two inches above setup level' to the bottom or middle of the 1 and a half inch wide line that i paint?

billy c

Re: Marking Waterline

Post by billy c » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 am

If you like the look of some bottom paint showing, run an inch above the projected waterline with your stripe. A laser level works well for marking the waterline. As the stripe breaks over the chine at the bow, your stripe will change width, but visually it will appear even. Your laser level will define the proper placement and width of line at the bow.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Bob
Traditionally the water level sits at the top of the bottom paint at the dock when empty. When fully loaded the water level is at the base of the bootstripe. Obviously there is a gap of about 2" between bottom paint and bootstripe. See boats at woodyboater.com
Although most builders don't experience any problems, both Tim Major and myself had to adjust the water line after the first launch. Both Monacos sat more nose down than the plans indicated.
ozzieboat

BobD

Post by BobD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks guys - think I'll start with the bottom of the bootstripe 2"above setup and go from there
cheers
Bob