First coat of primer on!!

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

zip001

First coat of primer on!!

Post by zip001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 am

I finally got one coat of primer on last night. Seams like a huge milestone. I will do another coat later this morning then let those two coats set for three days and do a light sanding before the final coat. I went with the WR-LPU paint and Yatch Primer. I did not thin the primer at roll and I put it on with a fine synthetic brush and tip with another brush. It does dry fast so I am trying to learn as many lessons as I can while applying the primer so I will be somewhat (laughing) skilled by the time I get to the paint.

I did use the advice offered by several. I used a very wet mop and mopped the concrete floor all around and slightly under the boat about four time before I started to prime. I used a humidity gauge and got the humidity up to about 60%. I had plenty of time to tip before what I had applied dried and was always able to keep a good wet edge.

So far I like this product. No smell, easy to mix, very easy clean up. It even passed the wife approved test:)

I will post pics after the final coat. Thanks for all the advice regarding paints and application techniques.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.

Roberta

Re: First coat of primer on!!

Post by Roberta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 am

The Yacht Primer is very nice to work with. Should sand nicely and provide a nice level surface to apply the WR-LPU. Do thin the WR-LPU a bit and continue the high humidity. Apply the WR-LPU in as thin a coat as possible. If you go too thick a coat, it will run and curtain like crazy. Once you have it down in a section, don't over-work it and try to touch something up. Let it dry and sand out any imperfections later. Brush or roll it on and move on.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am

If you are brushing the primer, I would hope to be able to sand three coats, but have a plan to add a 4th and maybe a 5th coat. Be carful around corners as you will cut though before you know it. If you are not wet sanding, you can sand after 24 hours, at least I did with no issues.

For the WR-LPU, I was thinning upwards of 20% when brushing and adding more water when I was half way though a coat to keep it thin. Again, if you are brushing and going to sand out the final coat plan on more than 3 coats.

These are nice paints to work with, and my wife didn't even know I was painting in the basement.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

zip001

Post by zip001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks Roberta and Jimm

I am pleased with the paint. I think since I can control the humidity so well I will start with 10% thinning when I get to the actual paint. If need I can always thin a little more. I have learned a lot from doing the primer. I traded in the brush for application on the second coat and have gotten pretty good with a 4" foam roller and then tipping with a good 3" brush. I only do a section about the width of 3 or 4 roller widths before I stop to tip. Seems to be working pretty good so far.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit harm on those who would wish us evil.