Clean Paint Line

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

bobinpowayca

Clean Paint Line

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Howdy, I'm working on my Geronimo's deck and thinking about getting a good line between two different colors.
If you can tell in the picture, where the deck and hull side join, I sanded a vertical face and put on a 1" wide sheer clamp (or bumper rail). The top of the sheer is flush with the deck, and the bottom extends out over the hull side about one inch.
I am painting the sheer clamp and toe rail gray, and the deck white. No problem getting a clean paint line between the toe rail and deck because it's a 90 degree joint. But as shown by the blue tape, from the toe rail aft I"m painting the outer 1" gray to mark the sheer clamp, and inside of that white.
Any techniques on getting the line without leaving a ridge, and without clear coating? Thanks for your thoughts. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1151.JPG
Bob

billy c

Re: Clean Paint Line

Postby billy c » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Pull your tape before the paint dries.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:03 pm

There's better tape available for this type thing. Go to your local automotive paint shop, tell them what you're doing, and ask them to suggest a masking tape.

And I'll second what Billy C says, don't leave the tape on any longer than necessary. It's a PITA, but generally, you won't be able to just leave it on between coats because then it will be on too long. You've got to pull it off and then re-tape it before the next coat.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks - great advice. All my years painting and I never would've thought to pull the tape right away. Makes sense. Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Will pulling the tape early prevent a ridge from forming?

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:07 am

hoodman wrote:Will pulling the tape early prevent a ridge from forming?

:D
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 am

Are you spraying or brushing?
From spraying experience I can say that we use 3M fine line tape (it is a plastic green color), tack cloth the area before taping, then rub only the paint edge with a popsicle stick or fingernail to make the edge very fine, then spray the taped edges with a thin coat, let that tack up to seal the edge, then continue spraying.
We always wait until dry before pulling tape, the adhesion is not set until dry.
The paint line will never be flush, there is always the thickness of the paint, plus a bit of a tape edge.
In order to get that flush looking paint line is to build up the low side with clear, then block it all out, and polish.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Painting”