HVLP Equipment Advice Please

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Terry Olson

HVLP Equipment Advice Please

Post by Terry Olson »

Hi - I'm planning to buy a paint sprayer shortly and intend to use it to paint my current boat along with future projects including some automotive painting. In checking Ebay and other sources I see two distinct options. First, go the cheap route buying any of a number of no-name models. The apparent downside to this is that replacement parts are not readily available. Second, go the expensive route and buy a completely rebuildable high-end gun.

I won't be using this gun all that often but when I do I want to get an acceptable result. On the one hand, I doubt I'd wear the cheaper gun out with what little use I give it - but - will it provide an acceptable result? On the ther hand, the expensive gun will no doubt offer a good result but am I buying more gun than I need?

I keep hearing the old adage "You get what you pay for" but that thought is nearly drowned out by the thought that I'm buying a whole lot more than I really need.

Anyone have experience with this?

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I've just been having this very discussion on another forum in another place. I've been spraying paint professionally for nearly 25 years, I have lots of sprayguns, HVLP and conventional, gravity and suction feed, cheap guns and expensive top end ones too.
The top end ones definitely give a better result, but I can get almost as good a job with my very cheapest gun! I can buy spares easily for my expensive guns, when I need spares for my cheap ones it's either a case of buying another one and stripping it for spares, or just using the new one and chucking the old one in the scrap bin.
Where the expensive ones really score is prolonged use, if you are spraying all day as I sometimes have to, a well balanced, comfortable, smooth action spraygun just makes it so much easier.
If you are only intending to use your spraygun occassionally get a cheap one and just look after it, or if you have the money there are some excellent mid-price sprayguns around that produce very good results.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Terry, where do you live?

In many municipalities here in the U.S, the old style conventional guns are not legal anymore because of there supposedly being too much overspray - hence they pollute. That's why the HVLP guns have come so much into vogue. I have a Porter Cable HVLP that I got at the Home Depot a few years ago and it wasn't but about $100. It's been perfect for what I've needed it for. I've been using a conventional high pressure gun for my primer. It's a cheapy no name and it works great, too.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

With some of the expensive finishes we use it doesn't take long for a HVLP
gun to pay for itself in saved paint.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Terry Olson

Post by Terry Olson »

I'm in Minnesota. HVLP isn't required here for home use (so far as I know) but the advantages HVLP offers make it worth the additional cost. We've sprayed cars with the high pressure equipment in years past - and you could always tell which car was done most recently by the overspray all over everything in the garage.

Looks like I'll buy a cheaper gun on ebay and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

TerryOlson

UPDATE - Good Results

Post by TerryOlson »

:D

I bought a cheap HVLP gun on Ebay (There are tons of them - all about the same price so I won't include the link). Next on the list was to get the paint. Of course I went to Ebay again and bought this:

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.d ... 4538139264

The seller has a post in the "for sale" section here on the Glen-L site. Best price, prompt and reasonable cost shipping etc. I'll buy from them again for sure.

I have some painting experience so the gun setup was where I struggled a bit. The paint says it doesn't need to be thinned under "normal conditions", but I had to thin the wee out of it to spray it. I played with the mixture and controls on the gun and found that the longer I sprayed with it the better it worked mainly because I thinned the paint a bit more each time I refilled.

I'm fixing up a "free" boat I found at a yard sale last year. It's like a boston whaler, but a cheap version marketed through JC Penny's years ago under the Shakespeare brand name. It needed a ton of work, but the price was right. This is more of an experience builder than a serious project so the results didn't have to be all that good - and they're better than expected.

Anyway, I sprayed the bottom and sides this morning and wanted to update the post with the results - and the paint source.

Thanks.

TerryOlson

Post by TerryOlson »

I should have mentioned that the boat is a 14' which will be painted inside and out. After spraying the outside of the hull and thinning the rest of the gallon of paint I have nearly a gallon of paint to use in the future - Maybe a quart would have been a better option. Live and learn I soppose.

Return to “Painting”