TEST BOAT

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Bill Edmundson

TEST BOAT

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:01 pm

As many of you know, I had a major failure on my deck coatings. I'm in the recovery mode. I have several product I will try. Pettit High build, Total Boat Lust, Waterloc. and something else. I'll map out where I use each. Some I've gone to bare wood and some I have recoated.

The boat has pretty bad exposure. I'll let you know. My Interlux Perfection on the Tahoe still looks good after 10 years. It is covered most of the time.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Re: TEST BOAT

Post by billy c » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:35 am

Bill, that will be interesting to see how they hold up. Sounds like you have some real challenging conditions to test them in!
Over the years on my boats, the finish usually failed due to UV exposure, checking of the fir plywood, or cosmetically where the weave of the cloth showed due to being a dark color that overheated the epoxy.
Had I correctly maintained the surface in the UV problems by sanding lightly and recoating that would have been the easy way, but I ran them until they needed to be stripped down.
Checking of the plywood never was able to be fixed and always gave me problems once water got thru the cracks and into the plywood. Guess the fix would have been glassing the surface and painting.
The cloth weave showing white after overheating ...we'll see how that goes. My fix was remove the cloth, expose the mahogany, 3-4 coats of epoxy to seal and fill the grain then finish with Perfection Plus. Hopefully that will only require maintainace coats every few years.
I suspect that we will always be refinishing our boats but the ideal for me is just lightly sanding and refreshing the top coat every few seasons.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 am

After reading about the 15 coats of lust on "Wecatchem" in Woodyboater,I'd be tempted to try a faux finish.I'm not a purist about the varnishing.and don't want to be recoating the 15 every few years.I wonder if a few coats of cpes would have helped to prevent checking. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:53 am

I don't know. The can of Lust says up to 5 coats per day, wait 48 hours for the next coats. They recommend 6 to 8 coats.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 am

The more I hear this, the more I am inclined to go with a white painted deck. It's a tough decision because I really like the look of wood planked decking. But like Tim, and Billy, I would not like to have to keep re-doing this every few years.

Bill, is your boat under cover and still affected by the heat? I wanted to have covered storage, but realistically, not sure I am going to be able to manage that later in retirement. So as a fall back, I was considering the boat cover approach. Unfortunately I cannot put up a covered storage area in my neighborhood (HOA) :x :x
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 am

:D I've been thinking on making a small canvass cover for bow deck on "Chug". maybe to make it more waterproof up front and held on with snaps.maybe that could work for you.Take it off for boatshows etc.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

kens

Post by kens » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm

I have read just about all the posts about someone's varnish, PU, clearcoat and so on. The common denominator in all the posts seems to be the discussion about how long someone's varnish, PU, clearcoat will last. All the posts seem to talk about 'how long before' recoating, refinishing.

It seems to me that the part that is missing is the people that 'do not' talk about recoating, refinishing, and that is, the automotive clearcoats.
If automotive clears were not very good, then all the cars on the hiway would be in need of a recoat.
I am a former body shop technician, and spray painter. Some of you may think I am prejudiced. But I still believe the automotive clears to be by far superior to anybody's marine varnish.
The subject of 'when do I recoat' my car just doesn't come up in conversation. And for a good reason.........
think about it, many cars sit in the open driveway on daily basis. driven in the rain, and at 80mph.

Bill, can you do one of the test panels in automotive clear?
I need to know if I am prejudiced.....
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BillW

Post by BillW » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am

Question for Billy C

In your post, above, you mention removing fiberglass cloth.
1. What is the procedure?
2. Does it tear out little wood fibers as it comes off?
3. Is that surface suitable for bright finishing ever again, or, is it now pretty much suitable only for painting?

I have bright finished decks with 4 oz cloth. They are fine so far, but sooner or later.....

Thanks
Bill

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 am

kens wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm
The subject of 'when do I recoat' my car just doesn't come up in conversation. And for a good reason.........
think about it, many cars sit in the open driveway on daily basis. driven in the rain, and at 80mph.
But cars have automotive paint underneath their clearcoat. Our boats have epoxy underneath that requires UV protection. Does automotive clearcoat offer UV protection of a comparable level to more traditional varnishes and similar marine finishes?

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

BillW wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am
Question for Billy C

In your post, above, you mention removing fiberglass cloth.
1. What is the procedure?
2. Does it tear out little wood fibers as it comes off?
3. Is that surface suitable for bright finishing ever again, or, is it now pretty much suitable only for painting?

I have bright finished decks with 4 oz cloth. They are fine so far, but sooner or later.....

Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill
I started a thread a number of months back where I began the restoration of the boat. Unfortunately winter became summer with no spring in between and left me no time to complete the finishing process. I found that careful removal of the glass on the topsides yielded a surface that could be cleaned up and prepped for a bright refinish. The boat is now in the barn and will start the finish process very soon and hopefully a spring relaunch. The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33110
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kens

Post by kens » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 pm

sproggy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 am
kens wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm
But cars have automotive paint underneath their clearcoat. Our boats have epoxy underneath that requires UV protection. Does automotive clearcoat offer UV protection of a comparable level to more traditional varnishes and similar marine finishes?
My point is that I believe automotive clears have more, by far more, UV protection than the marine stuff.
That is why I would like someone (Bill) to test it.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:13 am

Ken

I don't plan to test two part PU's. I believe they are clearly the best UV protection. But, I can no longer use two parts. Auto 2-part requires a much finer sanding and goes on very thin. I'm sensitized to the 2-parts and I don't have a spray booth. I have a 10 year test of Interlux 2-part on the Tahoe. It is holding up great. I think Butch used it also, and maybe Roberta.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:36 pm

What sanding grit are you guys taking your marine finishes to, for this test?