Bottom Painting & Plank staining

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Kilejian

Bottom Painting & Plank staining

Post by Kilejian » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Building a 19 ft Barrelback.
Question 1. I am in the process of fiberglassing the bottom. after the forth coat of epoxy, I would like to paint the bottom. The boat will be trailered. What kind of paint do you suggest. I would like a good quality paint without overkill.
Question 2. I would like to stain the mahogany planks below the covering board with CC red mahogany Penetrating stain. This makes the varying mahogany colors more uniform. Is there any advantage in applying Smith's CPES before the coates of Varnish?
John

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:24 am

Kilejian,

My only advice on bottom paint is to use an epoxy "bottom" paint. Polyurethane top side paint will blister if left in the water. You or somebody will leave this boat in the water for a week or more. I'd hate to see a blistered bottom when for about the same money you could have had the right product.

That being said I use Interlux VC Performace 2 part Epoxy with Teflon.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Kilejian

Post by Kilejian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Bill, and thank you for your website. It has helped me alot.

Rational Root

A related question

Post by Rational Root » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Kilejian,

My only advice on bottom paint is to use an epoxy "bottom" paint. Polyurethane top side paint will blister if left in the water. You or somebody will leave this boat in the water for a week or more. I'd hate to see a blistered bottom when for about the same money you could have had the right product.

That being said I use Interlux VC Performace 2 part Epoxy with Teflon.

Bill
A related question

Where the bottom paint meets the side paint.... How do you deal with that ?
I would assume the side paint overlaps the bottom paint.... But how will the side paint adhere to Teflon/Epoxy ?

Thanks

Dave
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

Kilejian

Post by Kilejian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 am

A related question

Where the bottom paint meets the side paint.... How do you deal with that ?
I would assume the side paint overlaps the bottom paint.... But how will the side paint adhere to Teflon/Epoxy ?
Thanks

Dave

I wish I knew....
Kilejian

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 am

If you're painting a boat that is going to be trailered, the bottom paint and the topside's paint will be the same. You can paint it all one color or go wild with your artistic imagination.

If you're going to use an antifouling paint, then seperate the two paints with a bootstripe. That's what bootstripes are for. Also, if you're building a new boat or painting the entire hull, apply your topsides paint first letting it cover well down to the chines. Then apply your bottom paint over that with the proper surface prep.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Kilejian

Post by Kilejian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks for the input.
John Kilejian

Fifty Plus

Post by Fifty Plus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:04 pm

If you are useing a bootstripe tape, apply that first. Then tape the bootstripe to the top and bottom edges. Paint topsides down to tape. Paint bottom up to tape. Then peal tape carefully.
Some topside paints will lift under bottom paint.
Some topside paints will lift under water.
Some bootstripe tapes will not stay on paint.

Carl

Kilejian

Post by Kilejian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Question 2. I would like to stain the mahogany planks below the covering board with CC red mahogany Penetrating stain. This makes the varying mahogany colors more uniform. Some people suggested to seal with Smith's CPES after staining and before applying Varnish. Is this necessary?

cpesIs there any advantage in applying Smith's CPES before the coates of Varnish?
John

SkinnySKiff

Re: Bottom Painting

Post by SkinnySKiff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah, Thanks Bill
Interlux VC Performance 2 part Epoxy with Teflon was exactly what I was looking for.
Do you have a preference for Hullsides and topcoat paint? I am building the Flats Flyer now and close to painting bottomside. I want the sides and top to be a high gloss white. I was thinking Interlux Brightside. Brightside is a topcoat paint, but can it be use for that area above waterline and below topside? Or should I just continue the Interlux VC Performance 2 part Epoxy with Teflon all the way up to the sheer?

Thanks again for the help.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Bottom Painting & Plank staining

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:59 am

Skinny,

I used Interlux Perfection Clear as UV protection over the epoxied bright work. It is also a 2-Part that sticks like hell! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

SkinnySKiff

Re: Bottom Painting

Post by SkinnySKiff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 am

I just got a response back from Interlux.

My inquiry to them was:
"Hello Interlux, I am going to be painting a 19’ flats boat that I am building. Hull is Okoume plywood with 7oz fiberglass cloth with 3 coats of Epoxy Resin. This boat will be trailered and stored in my garage. The boat will be used in salt and brackish water for on average 4 hr fishing trips. My questions are:

Do I require a true antifouling bottom paint? If so which paint do you recommend? If not, what paint do you recommend?

If you do recommend using a antifouling bottom paint, what paint should I use for above waterline but below topside of boat (the sides) as I plan to use Brightside or Perfection for topside painting. I want to have a high gloss white finish when complete. I live in Orlando, Florida."

Interlux's Response:
"Since the boat will only be in the water for roughly 4 hours each trip, I would recommend applying VC Performance Epoxy, which is a biocide free/copper free non antifouling bottom paint. This paint was designed for boats which are trailered as well as boats that do not require antifouling properties. VC Performance Epoxy is very hard and very abrasion resistant and will hold up to the frequent trailering. VC Performance Epoxy should be applied from the waterline below and then I would recommend applying Brightside or Perfection from the waterline on up. I have attached a product data sheet on VC Performance Epoxy for your reference. Hope this helps."

Thought this may help someone who has the same situation as me. Basically the epoxy stuff Bill recomended with the white finish since I am not doing bright work.If you would like the .pdf file they sent me, let me know your email and I will send it.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks for the info Skiiny.

Just to avoid confusion, the "sides" of the boat from the chine to the gunn'l are called the topsides,the top of the boat is called the deck.

Not trying to be a picky pain in the .... , but it may be less confusing

You may want to rethink about the white on the deck.
While pretty,it will reflect the Fla sun real bad and puts lots of glare in your eyes.
I have two all white boats here and they have a ton of glare.My sailboat has light gray non-skid, and it helps a lot

If you paint non-skid areas with a contrasting color such as light gray,beige,light tan, light blue, it will much easier on the eyes.

I would avoid too dark though as this will soak up the heat and be hot on your feet

SkinnySKiff

Post by SkinnySKiff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Ahhh.. thanks for the clarification upspirate. Glen-L ought to put out a 'Word of the Day' Calender. I know I could use it. Learning as much as I can by just reading the tons and tons of FAQ and old threads.

I do plan on doing a non skid area, but had not thought about a contrasting color. I have never seen that before. Definitely something to think about. I will be doing as accent color on the 'topsides' :), but will look around for some optional color for the deck.

Thanks again

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I made a pretty good non-skid for the mini-tug sole by adding a table spoon of play sand to a pint of poarch paint for the top coat. Cheap.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build