Silken's Cetol

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

maninblack646

Silken's Cetol

Post by maninblack646 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi has anyone every used this product called Silken's Cetol its a marine varnnish that soaks into the wood, most spar varnnish's I understand sit on top of the wood, and peel easily.

Thanks,
Jamie
Have built the Sherwood Queen, Gentry, 16'cedar strip Whitehall, 16'cedar strip canoe(red bird), 21' Fantail, 15' cedar strip ( prospector canoe )

Nova SS

Re: Silken's Cetol

Post by Nova SS » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm

we had some disscusson on this product recently. I have not used it but have used other Sikens products on log houses and they were awesome to use and held up great. I would suspect that their marine products would be great products as well and I'm planning on using them.

slug

Post by slug » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 am

Used Cetol on our sailboat. It looked nice and stood up as well as I think any "varnish" will under conditions of continuous sunshine. I found that it had to be redone at least every season and if you stay on top of it you will avoid the ugly peeling that results in having to sand right down to bare wood and basically starting over. It was on teak toe rails and handrails.
On the interior we used Minwax polyurethane with excellent results...very thin so a little hard to apply on horizontal surfaces...but extremely tough on the cabin soles.
Doug

babmani

Post by babmani » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 am

The information is very interesting. It is new knowledge for me.

Return to “Painting”