Painting over epoxy/epoxy over paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

ToneDef

Painting over epoxy/epoxy over paint

Post by ToneDef »

I am building an XP8 and have finally found the color that I want for the bottom and sides. It is Interlux Brightsides Navy Blue, which is the closest blue to the color my engine is now. Can I paint this over my 207 epoxy that I would like to seal/coat the whole boat with? Then can I 207 over the paint again to give it depth?

fergal butler

Re: Painting over epoxy/epoxy over paint

Post by fergal butler »

Hi I used Interlux two part primer first and then the Brightside and with a lot of work got a piano black finish. The epoxy has not got a lot of uv protection so if you feel you have to coat it use a clear varnish but I think you will be happy with the finish and a few coats of wax like G3 will bring it up.

http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboar ... 065-21.jpg

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

ToneDef wrote:I am building an XP8 and have finally found the color that I want for the bottom and sides. It is Interlux Brightsides Navy Blue, which is the closest blue to the color my engine is now. Can I paint this over my 207 epoxy that I would like to seal/coat the whole boat with? Then can I 207 over the paint again to give it depth?
Not to be picky,but isn't the motor you posted you are using on this boat red/silver?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9430&p=64383#p64383

Are you using a different motor?

ToneDef

Post by ToneDef »

I actually repainted the fuel tank a deep royal blue, because I always envisioned the boat having a dark blue bottom, so I made the engine match 8)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Ok that must look good too....what were the original colors?

SkinnySKiff

Post by SkinnySKiff »

I hust finished painting my topsides with Brightsides. I used the primer from Interlux called 'Pre-Kote'. Worked well and made great smooth surface. This was recommended to me from an Interlux Technician. As far as putting on a final coat of epoxy, I would think that would be unnecessary as 'Brightsides' contains Teflon to resist staining and abrasion.

ToneDef

Post by ToneDef »

upspirate I am not sure on the original colors of the engine. It is a Gale (OMC) Sea King built for Montgomery Ward dept. stores in 1945, and I have not been able to find any pictures of one with original colors thus far. It looks good and I have finally gathered just about all of my materials except steering, speedo, and throttle so I am going to begin cutting pieces and building frames this weekend. I will put up some pics.

SkinnySKiff, the reason I brought up coating over the brightsides with epoxy is to potentially give the paint a greater level of perceived depth. I want it to look very deep/thick.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

IF I happen to think of looking for it,and IF there is one at Mt Dora/Tavares show on March 27,I'll post a pic of it with the original/restored colors

SkinnySKiff

Post by SkinnySKiff »

ToneDef wrote: SkinnySKiff, the reason I brought up coating over the brightsides with epoxy is to potentially give the paint a greater level of perceived depth. I want it to look very deep/thick.
Ahh... I see. I have no idea how to make that happen. Sounds like a good idea though. Let us know if you find a successful idea.

Chris Conger

Post by Chris Conger »

One rule is;

You can apply 1 part over 2 part, but you cant apply 2 part over 1 part.

Or... you can paint over epoxy with just about anything; but dont put your 207 on single part paint. It will not hold for long.

For depth your loking for; I would paint with a 2-part poly, and then build cover with 207.

Or to be cheaper and probably just as good...paint your color with a one part and build depth with one part poly-u clear coats.
Chris

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

I'm surprised no one's brought it up yet, but using any type of clear epoxy as a top coat is not a good idea. Epoxy is not UV resistant - it will yellow and chalk with UV exposure. That's why people finishing bright need to use a layer of varnish or clearcoat over the epoxy. If you want to add depth to the paint job by adding epoxy, you will need to do the same and put some sort of UV protecting coat over it. Definitely do not use epoxy as the topmost coat.

ToneDef

Post by ToneDef »

So I may as well just spray a heavy wet coat of cleacoat over the brightsides with the HVLP. What do you recommend that will hold up in a salt environment? Regular NAPA Crossfire or Spies Hecker clearcoat?

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

ToneDef wrote:What do you recommend that will hold up in a salt environment? Regular NAPA Crossfire or Spies Hecker clearcoat?
That is definitely a question for someone else. I'm sure someone will be along shortly. :D

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

ToneDef wrote:So I may as well just spray a heavy wet coat of cleacoat over the brightsides with the HVLP. What do you recommend that will hold up in a salt environment? Regular NAPA Crossfire or Spies Hecker clearcoat?
Well the first thing you must do is to locate a clearcoat with the same formula as the Brightsides. We are not painting two part Imron or metallics or using orange peel type car paints. :wink: Brightsides is not a normal oil base, its not a true polyurethane paint either. You can actually thin it with mineral spirits or Ketone too. While I am not a supporter of thinning expensive paints with alternative materials not truely manufactured for a product, the price of the thinner sold for the paint is still worth the money if its avaliable.

Several things with the paint is that the more coats you apply, the better the job with the Brightsides. Two coats has never been what I consider to be enough other than a clean surface with color for getting on the water. Four is what I consider to be fine for new work. Apply it as thin as you can and do not worry about bleed thru. Make sure that you prime and prime, and sand and then paint. Don't worry about showing through in the first two coats when you are using medium or pastel colors. Sand with 280 at least for the last coat.

I have personally never used this paint. But IBoats list it in their paint section. This may or may not work, depending on the bases which may be incompatible and lift the Brightsides. Ask before you mess up a topcoat paint.

Uraglow™ Diamond Clear is a clear high solids topcoat that will give added clear protection from salt water, UV sun rays & will add substantial gloss to the overall paint job.

Uraglow™ Diamond Clear is a clear high solids topcoat that will give added clear protection from salt water, UV sun rays & will add substantial gloss to the overall paint job.

Return to “Painting”