Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 am 

My local dealer has a 9hp outboard, lower and mid unit. In short, everything I need for an electric motor, except the motor. I've got a 15hp brushless DC motor and as near as I can tell with my trusty micrometer, the same shaft.

So; my ignorance is about to come through. Is there any harm in running a 15hp electric motor on a unit designed for 9hp gas ? I had hoped to find a 25hp lower/mid, but I am not sure what the benefits would be (and the price is right).

Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 am 

wdicken wrote:
My local dealer has a 9hp outboard, lower and mid unit. In short, everything I need for an electric motor, except the motor. I've got a 15hp brushless DC motor and as near as I can tell with my trusty micrometer, the same shaft.

So; my ignorance is about to come through. Is there any harm in running a 15hp electric motor on a unit designed for 9hp gas ? I had hoped to find a 25hp lower/mid, but I am not sure what the benefits would be (and the price is right).

Thoughts ?

I can only speak for OMC because we handled them. Many models from 9.9 - 15 horsepower varied only in tuning and carburetion. The gearboxes were identical.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 am 

The most important thing to know is the rpm of the original engine and the rpm that the electric motor will run at. I have an 8 hp evinrude that I converted to electric. Electric motor will produce up to 25hp but will only spin at 3400 rpms on 48 volts. It will spin more like 4500 on 60 volts. So even though it can produce 25 hp on 48 volts, the propeller will only require about 5 hp at that rpm. On 60 volts I'm in the 8 hp range. If I were to add a larger prop, I could make it draw whatever power I like up until I fry the electric motor or break something in the lower unit. My guess is that with the standard prop your 15 hp brushless motor will not generate anywhere near 15hp unless it spins much faster than the 2 stroke. What model is the brushless motor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-7VVxMGxg

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 am 

I'd like to know what were the former strings on my 1980 Raven ?

Could anyone help me ?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:51 am 

We still have the issue of steel elements in a severe salt normal water atmosphere. That indicates deterioration. Anyone who has ever stayed on the water...