Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for the update, Dave. It makes a lot more sense to see pictures of how the motor mounts. That's going to be a very quiet and efficient boat!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:10 am

Neat to see this kind of install. Big milestone in your build too.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks Chris and Matt,
Mounting the motor is a milestone and gives me the feeling of being on the home stretch. Now just for some warm weather. Yesterday I Got out my Garmin GPS Chart-plotter Fishfinder Combo and began to plan just where I will mount the transducer. I also sat down to catch up on entering in all my receipts to see just how far over budget the project is going to be. I have purchased everything I am going to need as far as I can determine except for the anchor and line and the fire extinguisher. I have not bought anything for the solar charging set up. That will happen later but hopefully before the next gathering. If I don't count the tools I bought, the new trailer and the GPS I will only be about 700 -800 over my original estimate of $6000.00. When I am done I will publish my cost spread sheet with all break downs. My wife and I are working on our vacation plans which revolve around the boat this year. Sept will be the G-10. we have given our kids till next month to see if they want to go. If grandchildren will be there we will get a land cabin, if not we'll reserve a floating cabin. The first full weekend in October is the Wye Island Electric Boat Marathon in the Eastern Bay of Chesapeake Bay near St.Micheals MD. A 24 mile all electric, batteries only cruise.
I hope to place well in the lead batteries division. Just to complete the course will be an achievement. I will have the first Glen-l electric boat to participate in the 15 year history of the race, But hopefully not the last!
I can hardly wait for overnight temps to be over freezing so I can get back to It. I want to be boat builder Dave not snowblower Dave!
Capt. Dave

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 pm

The Wye island race sounds like a good time. I hope to make it to the Gathering to see your boat finished. It is such a neat design.

Return to “Electric Power”