Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

CaptDave

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Postby CaptDave » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Carl,
Yes, it is encouraging when the progress is highly visible. I wish my progress could be a some what quicker. It has been almost 2 years since I ordered the plans. I thought I would have it built in 6 or 7 months.
Matt -- don't fret about not seeing it completed at this years gathering. Even though it is under power, the Aquatron will still have a little ways to go. It should be complete by the next gathering though. (sounds like an echo from last year)
I am enjoying the journey and learning new skills. I really appreciate the encouragement from the Glen-l forum gang.
Capt. Dave

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am

We made it to the G-11 with deck and hardware installed.
Hales Bar 2017.jpg
Aquatron in the water at Hales Bar Marina

While we were there my sister in law Melanie of Mel's Marine Upholstery finished my custom boat cover.
Aquatron Cover.JPG
Aquatron with new custom cover

We cruised around for over 30 miles this past weekend on about 4 kw of electricity. We averaged about 4.2 mph with a maximum speed of 6.4 mph (downstream)
Aquatron under way.JPG
Capt. Dave

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:38 pm

I love it Dave! Glad you were there!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for the ride Dave!

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

She looks great Dave :!: Wish I had been there to see her.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 pm

I got to ride in the boat last weekend, it is surprisingly fast. It's not some trolling motor powered boat, the prop really bites when Dave twists the juice knob and he knows exactly how much wattage he's using and his range. He gets my vote for the cool boat at G-11.
Matt B

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm

We took the Aquatron out for one last cruise before cold weather sets in. It was a beautiful day in the mid 70's here in Columbus, Ohio. We had a family picnic and multiple boat rides. We put about 10 more miles on the Amp Eater. The leaves are just beginning to change on the trees and made for a scenic cruise. The bluetooth speaker fits right into its spot at the back of the console. We enjoyed streaming music on our ride today. We didn't have to play it very loud since we only needed to hear it over the sound of the water moving past the hull of the boat.

The reservoir has been lowered a few feet for the winter and also to expose the mud flats for the migratory birds. We found the top of a submerged dam on one of the tributaries that we normally pass over with 3-4 feet or more of clearance. I am thankful for a deep skeg that protects the prop and rudder when scraping bottom on solid under water structures. Needless to say I will have some paint touch-up to do on the shoe. I guess it is the price you pay for being adventurous.

The amp eater never fails to get admiring glances from passers by. It certainly is a unique configuration in these parts of mostly fishing boats and pontoon boats. It is hard to stay home and work on the boat when you can be in the water enjoying it.
Who knows there may be another unseasonably warm weekend that we may be able to sneak in another outing.

We have put on over 80 miles averaging 4.2 m.p.h. over ground according to my GPS. I hope to more than double the number of miles next year.

We ate dinner at Antonio's restaurant that is withing walking distance to the boat ramp and discovered that they deliver to the dock in the event we want to eat on our boat. Maybe next time.

The charger is topping off the batteries right now so the Aquatron will be ready whenever the next opportunity presents itself.
Capt. Dave

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:19 am

Sounds like a great time Dave, we did the same here with the Zip this weekend. Leaves will probably peak next weekend here. Highs are only in the 50's next week.

Return to “Electric Power”