Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

CaptDave

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Post by CaptDave » Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm

CaptDave wrote:
rleete wrote:
CaptDave wrote:(the fat guy with the wide brimmed hat is Capt Dave)
Looks like you need to build another boat. I hear sanding is great exercise...
Sounds like a plan to me...
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Hogwild

Post by Hogwild » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm

I just read your story on building amp eater and loved it, I agree it was a happy day when I wrestled the carlings in place.

Hogwild

Post by Hogwild » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm

The surrey top is made of sunbrella fabric' The framework is made of 3/4 inch pvc. The posts have dowels inside for strength. The posts set in stainless steel stanchion bases that extend below deck. The posts are not glued to the top. They merely fit snug. Everything is held togather by the straps that go from the fabric to the deck. The framework for the top is glued together. The pvc was bent. Hot sand was put inside the pipe and it was bent around a form until cool. Orginally the pvc was to be a prototype with the real framework made of stainless steel or aluminum. Since the boat goes slow the pvc was ok. For storage short pieces of pvc can be put into stanchion bases and the top covers the cockpit,

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Stephen,
Thanks for the detail on building your top. I hope to tackle that later this summer.
Did you paint the PVC blue or did you get it that way? Your Deck really turned out nice.
It appears you have removable hatch covers. Do you have some kind of latch to hold them down?
Capt. Dave

Hogwild

Post by Hogwild » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm

The hatch covers are held down with stainlesss steel draw latches. Got them on amazon. THE PVC was painted with spray can that was made for plastic. Deck has 4 coats of epoxy and 6 coats of exterior urethane sanded between coats.

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Not sure how I missed this beautiful boat when I first began cruising these forums. Great job Capt!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the compliment. The credit goes to Glen L Whit for the beautiful lines he gave this boat and for the easy to follow instructions. The simple elegance of this design is what kept me coming back to the amp eater as my first choice to build.

If there is anyone out there who is viewing this post and you are wondering, "Could I build the Amp Eater? or another Glen-L boat?" Yes you can. Check out some of my construction photos here: https://www.boatdesigns.com/images/Amp- ... Fannon.pdf
If this guy who had only minimal wood working skills can do it so can you. I built practically the entire hull using only a jig saw, a hand drill, a small block plane, sandpaper a pair of pliers and a circular saw. In just over 100 hours of work over the course of 4 months, working available evenings and weekends, the hull was complete. Just follow the instructions! Any other help you need you can get on the forum by reading previous posts and asking questions. There are many proficient boat builders who are willing to help!

I'm so glad I bought plans from Glen-L. The full size patterns and the detailed instructions along with help from the forum and friendly staff assured me of my ability and ensured my success!

Of course if you want to talk to some boat builders in person and see the boats they have built from plans you have seen on the web site, then come to the Boat Builders Gathering in Guild, TN, on Nickajack Lake downstream from Chattanooga, Sept 14-15 and 16.

That's what I did and I ordered my plans after returning home.

Go for it!
Capt. Dave

rleete

Post by rleete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 am

Dave, I have a request. Can you post the pic of the electrical controls, and label what each switch/button does? Also, did you buy those parts at the same place you got the motor and electronics?

I'm particularly interested on how you switch between different battery banks, and the placement of the circuit breaker, if there is one.

Thanks.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:15 pm

rleete,

I only have one battery bank, 4- Interstate 232 AH 6V batteries in series for a total of 24 volts.
The battery bank is engaged by the solenoid on the motor controller. The polarity is reversed for forward and reverse by the contactors on the right side of the motor control board. Those are controlled by the three position switch on the console. The 5k potentiometer hooks up to the motor controller to adjust pulse widths which effectively adjusts the voltage which controls the speed of the motor.
38 Console with switches and multi-meter.jpg
Console, Multimeter top, 5k potentiometer for speed control on the left, 3 position switch to actuate contactors for reverse, off and forward on right. Momentary push button lower middle is for the horn. This is the favorite control of some of my regular crew.
39 Wiring the motor control board.jpg
Motor control board, Motor controller on left with solenoid mounted, forward-reverse contactors on right
The multimeter shows voltage, current, power in watts and energy used in watt hours.
The watt hours are resettable, the others display instantaneous readings. I got the meter on amazon:
bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt
It was cheap, the readings it gives are close but not exact. What can you expect for 15 bucks. It does have a nice back lit display.

The controls are water resistant my son got for me,,, I will post where to get as soon as I find out.

I have a key switch mounted on the forward surface of the console that I purchased on amazon that turns on and off the control voltage
Pactrade Marine Plastic Ignition Starter Switch 5 Terminals 3 Postions Heavy Duty Off On.jpg
Pactrade Marine Plastic Ignition Starter Switch 5 Terminals 3 Postions Heavy Duty Off On
Capt. Dave

rleete

Post by rleete » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 am

Thank you, Dave.

A bit different than what I am setting up, because I want two separate batteries (12V system) for redundancy. But the meter and switch are both applicable.

Again, thanks.

EnsWayne

Post by EnsWayne » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 am

The switches we used were all Schneider Electric "Class 9001 Type K Heavy Duty Operators". They are very heavy duty, and are NEMA 4 rated, which means they are waterproof even when sprayed with a hose. They are intended for industrial control equipment, and are probably overkill for this boat console. But I think they look pretty sharp. Here are the parts we used:

9001K2107 - 5kOhm Potentiometer for Speed Control
9001KS43BH2 - 3-Position Selector Switch for FWD-OFF-REV
9001KR1BH5 - Pushbutton for Horn

If you search for these online, you'll see they are quite expensive. They're too expensive for us to use them on this project, really, except that my company happened to have all of these on surplus at the time, and so I was able to get them pretty cheap. For the horn, any momentary pushbutton switch would work. And for the FWD-OFF-REV, any SPDT (single-pole, double-throw) toggle switch with a center off position (often referred to as ON-OFF-ON) would work. One "ON" position powers one coil of the reversing contactor, and the other position powers the other coil. You could use that same type of switch with two contactors to accomplish your battery bank switching (something like B1-OFF-B2). Many reasonably-priced switches are available with a rubber boot that essentially makes them splash resistant. Also, any 5K pot would work for the speed control.

You also asked about a circuit breaker. We do not have a circuit breaker on the 24V motor circuit. Instead there is one large fuse (it is mounted just to the right of the motor controller in the control board image.) There is a separate 12V battery used for accessories (horn, lights, bilge pump, GPS) that does have some miniature circuit breakers built into a small switch panel. At least I think it has built-in circuit breakers; CaptDave correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Ensign Wayne

rleete

Post by rleete » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Speed control and fwd/rev is going to be taken off the trolling motor. One variable pot for both, with a center off position. I just want to have 2 batteries for redundancy and range, so I want to switch between them. I also intend to have a separate, smaller battery for running lights, horn and interior lights.

As luck would have it, I gave a whole box of those NEMA 4 switches to the local makerspace less than a year ago. I thought I'd never have any use for them, so better to give them to someone who would.

Thanks for the info, I always find it interesting to see how someone else has done it.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 am

G-12 was a great success. the Aquatron gave several rides and made the trip to the dam. It was a 2-1/2 hour round trip fro the Aquatron due to strong current and milfoil wrapping on the prop, but all in all, a pleasant trip.
Aquatron at the dock at G-12.jpg
Aquatron at the dock at Hales Bar with powerhouse in background
Check out my new Transom Lettering. The fine print says "Hand built from plans by" Glen-L. (logo)

Be sure to catch Tony's drone footage from G-12 that shows the aquatron returning from an early morning cruise.

https://youtu.be/IM0MDggy8KA
Last edited by CaptDave on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capt. Dave

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am

Dave, it was great to finally get to go out in your boat. It was a great experience!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

EnsWayne

Post by EnsWayne » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

That's a great video from the gathering. Millfoil is a kind of seaweed, right? How did you clear the prop? Did reversing it work, or did you have to hang down over the back of the boat to reach the prop?

Also, that's a really cool floating party deck. Looks like a lot of fun. Did all the Glen-L folks pretty much have the run of the place for the whole weekend?
Ensign Wayne

Return to “Electric Power”