Elec powered Bullet

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

shandman

Elec powered Bullet

Post by shandman »

Closing in on completing my Bullet build. Although the boat is speced for up to a 35hp, I am hanging a Torqeedo 2.0 electric on the transom, the foremost reason being the lake authority in Big Canoe, GA on which I'll boat allows e-power only. 99% of the craft in the marina are pontoon boats, the rest are john boats with small Minkotas. My 22' pontoon with a Torqeedo 2.0 moves out very nicely; I expect my Bullet at less than 10% of the weight of a pontoon will easily be the fastest boat on the lake! :-)
Art Shand

aero_dan

Re: Elec powered Bullet

Post by aero_dan »

Hey there builder, What was the outcome of this idea? I am always interested in electric conversions, and your experience will coax others to try it too. Please update the blog-a-sphere. And a couple pics or more and in action would be fantastic, ... even id it did not work. Cheers mate!
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

shandman

Post by shandman »

Eight years after beginning my Bullet build, I launched it. If I could figure out how to post more than 3 pics (allowed in this post) elsewhere, I would.
:P
Attachments
IMG_8882.jpg
IMG_8875.jpg
IMG_8872.jpg
Art Shand

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan »

Looks great! Go to https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/ logi/ register and post as many as you want. The more the better. Also more room to talk about it. And if you can't figure it out, call Gayle. The Glen-L folks will be glad to help.
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

That's a great looking boat, shandman. I've considered electric power for my Zip too. What sort of cruising speed do you get from the Torqueedo?

shandman

Post by shandman »

I get about 9.5 kts at WOT. I have two group 31 AGM batteries in series (the motor wants 24vdc) which give me about 4 hours cruising at 75-80%. The boat weighs about 195 lbs, slightly higher than the plans suggest only because I overbuilt it a tad. :-)
Howz your Zip coming?
Art Shand

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

Hmmmm, interesting. My Zip is coming on....very slowly. My fault for changing the design and making it difficult for myself. By the time it's done I may be facing similar issues to you in terms of waterways allowing only electric propulsion. I'll have to try to keep my propulsion options open for as long as possible. Maybe by the time I'm ready the Torqeedo Cruise 10 will have become more affordable. Although the 4 would be enough.

shandman

Post by shandman »

Interesting thing about the Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 and 4.0... Granted, it was a number of years ago and things may have changed since then but when I was noodling over which motor to go with (the ultimate decision was based on 24v vs. 48v, the latter requiring significantly more battery weight which would be seriously problematic in such a small boat like the Bullet) I contacted the North American rep for Torqeedo to understand the diffs between the two models. He said the prop size, pitch and SPEED were the same for both motors! Ok, so what's the advantage of a 4.0? Well he said, the 4.0 has more torque than the 2, letting you git up an' go faster. At another 100 lbs and $1200 more? Nope, not worth it. These days there are a number of pretty hot elecs out there, and battery technology is significantly advanced (and way overshadowed by price!) from 8 years ago when I bought the 2.0.
Art Shand

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

Good to know. I guess the real reason to go for the 4 over the 2 then is if you have a heavy (or high resistance) boat and you need the extra torque.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Nice looking build. I will bet that the bullet is the fastest boat on the lake. I have heard that you can get a high speed prop for the torqeedo that will probably give you a little more speed at the sacrifice of some torque, but for your boat that shouldn't hurt much. Advertised for $99 at the link below.

https://www.murrays.com/product/71-1916/

Here is a link that explains the different props available for the torqeedo motors.

https://shopweeboats.com/blogs/expert-a ... ric-motors

Thanks for sharing your pics
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

For posting more pictures, turn the camera resolution down to 4 or 5 MP. That will fill most peoples screen. I don't need to se 12+ MP shots very often.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Electric Power”