Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

CaptDave

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Post by CaptDave »

This Picture was taken by the PropTalk Boat and is from p55 in the November issue. Here is the link.
https://issuu.com/spinsheetpublishingco ... ov_pt_2020
Aquatron on the Wye River
Aquatron on the Wye River
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Nice photo. Thanks for the link. It was nice of them to angle the photo to also get your house in the background. :D

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

An article about the Wye Island Electric Boat Marathon is in the December issue of PropTalk Magazine pp 42-43

https://issuu.com/spinsheetpublishingco ... ec_pt_2020

Aquatron in the Chesapeake
Aquatron in the Chesapeake
Aquatron at the Miles River Yacht Club Marina
Aquatron at the Miles River Yacht Club Marina
The boat is now covered up for the winter to wait for spring.
Capt. Dave

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Nothing wrong with going slow.Just don't get caught napping.
IMG_1334.JPG
:lol: :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I don't mind going slow. It is relaxing and you can look around at stuff.
plus, I never have wave runners jumping my wake :D :D
Capt. Dave

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Another Adventure in the Aquatron

Monday the 5th of July was a holiday for me and also my birthday, so I decided to do something I've been wanting to do for some time....
Lock through the hand operated locks on the Muskingum River.
Muskingum River Locks Historical Marker
Muskingum River Locks Historical Marker
We put in just north of Zanesville at the Riverside Park launch ramp. We launched there and headed down stream toward Zanesville.
In the Muskingum River
In the Muskingum River
We soon went past Zane’s landing where we saw the sternwheeler Lorena where it has been since 1972 giving rides up the Muskingum River.
Sternwheeler Lorena
Sternwheeler Lorena
There had been no other boats on the river that we had seen until a couple of pontoon boats sped past our slow-moving electric launch. As we continued south we passed under Interstate 70 and the we were able to see the “Y” bridge ahead and the dam in front of it. I wouldn’t want to approach the dam in poor lighting conditions as the drop off is difficult to see and there are only a few buoys warning of its proximity. No cable – no orange barrels keeping you from going over a 14-ft drop. We moved to the port side of the river where a green buoy marked the navigation channel and entered into a canal that led to the locks. The canal is about ¾ of a mile long and takes you under a railroad lift bridge, the “Y” bridge, US 40 drawbridge, a railroad Swing Bridge and the Sixth Street draw bridge. I doubt that any of these bridges have been lifted or swung in the last few decades.
Last edited by CaptDave on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Capt. Dave

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Aquatron Adventure on the Muskingum cont'd

As you approach the locks you come to the historic lock keepers house on the island that separates the canal from the river. There is a dock there where you can get out and explore the lock mechanisms close up.
Lock keepers house
Lock keepers house
I say “locks” because the Zanesville Lock #10 is the only double lock on the Muskingum. As I approached the locks, I signaled the lock keeper that I intended to lock through with one long and one short blast on the horn. He indicated it would be a short wait as the two pontoon boats that had passed me were locking through. I could have let him know I was approaching on channel 13 if I had had a marine radio on board. We had about a 20-minute wait and then the lock keeper appeared and began to open the gate with a large lever that he pushed round and round that turned a gear that opened the huge gates. The lock was completed in 1841 and is still operated with late 19th century hardware. As the gate opened, the lock keeper signaled me to move inside.
Lock Keeper opens the gates
Lock Keeper opens the gates
The lock is 36 ft x 184 ft and my little boat was swallowed up inside of it.
My boat was very small inside of the lock
My boat was very small inside of the lock
We locked through by ourselves. It took about 12 minutes or so to drain the lock to the next level about 7 feet. Then the it took a few more minutes for the lock keeper to open and close the doors and open the valves then another 12 or so minutes to lower the next 7 feet in the 2nd lock chamber. Then we were out on the river. We went upstream a little to look at the back side of the lockkeepers house then turned down stream.
Last edited by CaptDave on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capt. Dave

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Aquatron Adventure on the Muskingum cont'd (be sure to check out the You Tube links)

We headed toward Philo where in about 5 miles we would come across Uncle Johns Riverside Café which was recommended by the lockkeeper. The down river current made going 5.5 mph practically effortless drawing only 15 amps on the batteries. The dock at the restaurant was long enough to accommodate 3 boats which was a good thing as 2 other boats pulled in right behind us. Fortunately there were stairs up the steep bank to where the restaurant sat on the other side of Old River Road.
We were glad to take the opportunity to stretch our legs and use the facilities then relax in the airconditioned comfort afforded by the café on that 90 degree afternoon. Melissa ordered the beer fries and I had the onion rings which were very good and we downed a couple of cold ones (diet cokes).
We decided to head back up river and found it was a little tougher going. Pulling 35 amps on the batteries we were only making 3.98 mph against the current. In about an hour and 20 minutes we were back at the lock where I let loose one long and a short blast on the horn.
Lower Lock #10 Zanesville (See Melissa up top with lock keeper)
Lower Lock #10 Zanesville (See Melissa up top with lock keeper)
https://youtu.be/0_3DNiS5LLQ
Steve the lock keeper saw us and remembered that Melissa had wanted to come up top of the locks to take videos of Aquatron’s passage, And he came down to the bank to help Melissa up the steep incline. As they got to the top another boat joined us. And it would soon get busy as 2 boats came to lock down. Another 2 boats radioed the lock keeper that they would be there in 10 minutes so we waited for them to arrive to lock through. So there would be 4 boats in the lower lock going up and 2 in the upper lock coming down which works out well making efficient use of the water.
4 Boats going up
4 Boats going up
The lock keeper opened the valve between the locks and it was quite the blast of water as 350,000 gallons or so came in over the next 10-12 minutes. I was up front in the lock a little closer to the rush of the incoming water than I would have liked. It was quite a struggle for a while holding the boat steady by holding on to the single cable on the lock wall. https://youtu.be/6_ZNmZnWzFkhttps://you ... _ZNmZnWzFk
In The Lock
In The Lock
As the 2 locks arrived at the same level, the gates were opened and I was the first to cross into the upper lock. Three boats on the left side came through to the upper lock then the 2 from the upper lock took our place in the lower lock then the remaining 2 boats in the lower lock came through to the upper lock. It all went fairly smoothly as the lock keeper directed the traffic from above.
https://youtu.be/GB_u8fCUAcM
The he closed the gates and we continued our ascent. I motioned for the other 3 boats to exit first as I was going to stop at the dock in front of the old lockkeepers house to pick up Melissa. We cruised through the canal up to the dam and then on up the river to Riverside Park where we loaded the boat onto the trailer with only a little trouble as the wind was picking up a little and kept blowing the boat sideways.
But as Melissa eased the car forward up the ramp the boat ended up nice and straight on the trailer just as I had hoped. We headed south on Lewis Drive heading toward the freeway we stopped for the turn onto Hall Avenue and what to our wondering eyes should appear on the left but Funks Ice Cream where of course we made the small detour to stop and get one large Waffle Cone double scoop of Death By Chocolate and one of Mint Chocolate chip. I’ll let you guess whose was whose. What a great way to end a wonderful day on the water.
Last edited by CaptDave on Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Dave

kens

Post by kens »

Thats cool. I still remember a trip up the Kentucky River, I was a little kid. The locks were scary to a little kid, I was afraid the gates would fall in, That video reminds me of those locks, watching all the water as a terrified kid.
I think the Kentucky river has first 4 locks working up to Frankfort. A really good trip adventure would be if you could launch on the pool that has the Palisades-in the fall colors.
Nice trip an video you got there
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

kens wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:48 am
Thats cool. I still remember a trip up the Kentucky River, I was a little kid. The locks were scary to a little kid, I was afraid the gates would fall in, That video reminds me of those locks, watching all the water as a terrified kid.
I think the Kentucky river has first 4 locks working up to Frankfort. A really good trip adventure would be if you could launch on the pool that has the Palisades-in the fall colors.
Nice trip an video you got there
That would be a beautiful trip. I plan to get to the Kentucky river some day in the not to distant future.
Capt. Dave

EnsWayne

Post by EnsWayne »

What a great write-up. You should submit that as an article in the Galley Gossip if you haven't already.
Ensign Wayne

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Thanks, I plan to.
Capt. Dave

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Great adventure, thank you for sharing. You know how much I admire your boat,
Matt B