Small trailerable houseboat

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

jimwood

Small trailerable houseboat

Postby jimwood » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I have been researching building small house boat 20-24' trailerable. Can I build one of the house boats plans on the market and successfully power it by battery/solar backup?
Jim

jcallends

Re: Small trailerable houseboat

Postby jcallends » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 am

Is it possible, of course, is it practical, depends. The entire roof of the houseboat would have to be covered with solar cells and a large number of batteries would be on board. the batteries alone will make this boat very heavy and increase the power needed to move it. What happens the day you take the boat out for a spin and the suns not shining and you exhaust the batteries? So you put on a back-up gas motor and gas tank, now the boat is heavier yet. As a demonstration project this would be very interesting, as a pleasure boat forget it. Several years ago someone on our chain of lakes tried this technology with a pontoon boat and an outboard retrofitted with an electric motor. I never saw it away from his dock and eventually it disappeared. In addition solar cells are not cheap.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:13 am

here is a idea of cost of solo panels
http://www.statetrailer.com/products/Solar you would sill problly need a back up genie
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

J Purcell

Postby J Purcell » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Jim,

I missed your intro post, but since we are neighbors, I thought I would say hi here.

Is this something you want to use on this side of the mountains?

Here is a map of the solar resource potential for the state (not counting the clouds :) ) http://www.ecy.wa.gov/climatechange/greenenergy_maps.htm
Jeremy

Stevengould46

Postby Stevengould46 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Check out this site. Duckflat boats. There have been very fine and sucessful solar electric trawlers built. Go for it.
And look at WoodenBoat Magazine issue #185. I'm going to build it.

DennisL

Postby DennisL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 am

I use a Coleman mighty max 12/24v, weighs 22 lbs and can charge 2 batteries at once in 10-15 minutes. It's not that quiet and is a two stroke, but sips the gas.

Return to “Electric Power”