PUG

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Grand Chillin

Re: PUG

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Well, it happened again. :shock: :roll: :evil: this time I added three pieces of 4" tape on the inside. one in the middle and the other two overlapping that one.
Pug 025.jpg
Tonight it was still trying to separate so I added a 4" band aid across the front
Pug 027.jpg
yes, There is still alot of tweaking to be done at the bow, letting the plywood rest and will try again tomorrow.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:59 pm

As you can see in my last picture I'm trying something instead of wire. Zip ties. :wink: the sides lined up so well at the chine that I decided to give them a try.
Pug 030.jpg
also notice the stern worked out well. :D

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 am

I have been looking over the shape of the bow in the earlier one and now the most recent post. It is my opinion that the bow shape is a wee bit fatter than it should be. I think you cut it with a batten. But if you look at the extreme foward, its like you have a fist shape which would cause the very tip not to close up completely. Whether that is correct it would be hard to tell. I bet if go back down the curve and sweep a bit and soften that sweep, you may not be experiencing the issue. I give you credit for being so patient though. When you look down on the bow, its also not that fair and may cause some blunting of the actual bow of the boat when done. So look at that before you ge too far along. The only thing that you may experience if you were to recut the keel line a bit more gradual is that your bottom panel may need to be a bit extended at the chine in the foward area.

red

Post by red » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:53 am

chillin let me know if you like the wire ties better than the wire the only thing is the epoxy will glue them pretty good so you have to get them out as soon as you can or just sand them later on thats what i liked about useing them if i couldnt get them out all i had to do was sand them out

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 pm

red wrote:chillin let me know if you like the wire ties better than the wire the only thing is the epoxy will glue them pretty good so you have to get them out as soon as you can or just sand them later on thats what i liked about useing them if i couldnt get them out all i had to do was sand them out
Red, as I said this is my first time using the zip ties and I only used them because the chine lined up so nice :D they are easier to use, but their drawback is you can't loosen them and adjust. I tacked glued between them, being careful not to cover them. I'll know more tomorrow. :wink:
Pug 031.jpg

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:58 am

Chip - Are you going to have your fleet at the G next year. It is about time for some of us to, er', "utilize" your offerings.

Dang it, I am hankering to get in the shop on the next build but the Admiral has me on hold. Can I come get my fix at your place?
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:22 am

This is the shot that concerns me. In my opinionated opinion something appears to be amiss. The panel is cut inproperly or the numbers on the layout needs some clean up. The side panels do not have enough room foward in the short run to make that curve in my opinion, leaning me to believe that some of the blunt bottom shape needs to be removed.

Even with the shot just above that has the side panels in place, there sees to be some additional opening at the junction of the bottom to the junction at the two side panels.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 pm

DaveLott wrote:
Dang it, I am hankering to get in the shop on the next build but the Admiral has me on hold. Can I come get my fix at your place?
Dave, you are more than welcomed here, just pack up your sanding gear and head East :D The only thing is I'm in Charge here. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:40 am

FYI,
There are particular cable ties that have a little tabs that enable you to loosen them off. Get those and you can re-adjust as required.

Looking good, hang in there. It'll work out,
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:48 am

Grand Chillin wrote:
DaveLott wrote:
Dave, you are more than welcomed here, just pack up your sanding gear and head East :D The only thing is I'm in Charge here. :shock: :wink: :lol:

If I did that I would have to expose "robosander" and he is not ready for debute yet :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 pm

DaveLott wrote:
Grand Chillin wrote:
DaveLott wrote:

If I did that I would have to expose "robosander" and he is not ready for debute yet :lol:
Dave, you are the "robosander". :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: Thanks anyway, but I think I have it covered. Today I bought A Oyster 4200 fairing tool :wink: :D Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:57 am

Ok, Chip - you only have 4 pieces stitched together and already have 4 pages on this thread. What gives? Are you going to try to beat Roberta for the longest thread. Perhaps we need a new Guinness Book listing!!
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 pm

DaveLott wrote:Ok, Chip - you only have 4 pieces stitched together and already have 4 pages on this thread. What gives? Are you going to try to beat Roberta for the longest thread. Perhaps we need a new Guinness Book listing!!
Dave,
I'm Not trying to set any kind of record, nor do I want to. It seems people like to respond to my threads. :o :roll: :wink: :lol: :P plus my Admiral doesn't have me on hold. :oops: :D

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:29 am

Grand Chillin wrote:
DaveLott wrote:Ok, Chip - you only have 4 pieces stitched together and already have 4 pages on this thread. What gives? Are you going to try to beat Roberta for the longest thread. Perhaps we need a new Guinness Book listing!!
Dave,
I'm Not trying to set any kind of record, nor do I want to. It seems people like to respond to my threads. :o :roll: :wink: :lol: :P plus my Admiral doesn't have me on hold. :oops: :D

Rub it in. I cannot even get Midnight out of her berth to work on anything else. The Admiral had me regrade the back lawn with new topsoil and seeding. They ain't no way I can pull a trailer across that until next spring. See, my shop and her temporary berth opens to the back lawn. So every time I use her, the make a mess of the back lawn with the trailer. Even with the 4WD on my truck, I spin tires backing her up the hill into the shop. It IS that steep!!!

So, I am looking for another shop area that is on the level and larger to work in. I have a friend that has an unused shop (used to be a contractor) about a mile away. We are talking. But he wants to sell and all I want to do is use it.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

frog4

Post by frog4 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:53 am

Grand Chillin, looking at your last few pictures, have you figured out what went wrong, where?

Cut quality? Layout? Templates off? Blueprints incorrect? Builder error? Zip ties?

Return to “Electric Power”