PUG

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

frog4

Re: PUG

Post by frog4 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:29 am

Grand Chillin wrote:The B-team and I were able to pull her back together :D we traded the copper wire for steeland while not as close as before, I will live with it, but with some more thickened epoxy and some sanding no one will know :roll: I will admit it is not the neatest work I have done :oops:
Pug 022.jpg
I did use 403 this time. :wink:
looking at this enlarged, I'm wondering if you started the stitching process here while flat, then proceeded down the straight after the cure, would the compound radii have worked?

frog4

Post by frog4 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:49 pm

this may help, check down the page about 1/3 -1/2 way ... he laid up flat then opened ...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mosquito/doc ... ilding.php

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Frog,
somebody else suggested the same thing, and looking back that might be the way to go. :D But as usual I followed the instructions and Glen even predicted there being trouble with the bottom at the bow "Pulling together the forward bottom requires considerable force." other than that setback I'm pleased so far. :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 pm

I came across a small Tug with a similar hull and some pictures how they did their"s.

frog4

Post by frog4 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 pm

who designed that small tug?

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:53 am

While the configuation of the bow will surely be a workable solution, I am not sure if the average off the street Joe will find that an easier method and just may complicate the instructions and create a blob of glue and fill. Surely any increase thats generated by easing the transition, of course in my humble and opinionated opinion in the bow area will be of no real improvement in the ride and will probably be a non-issue because of the speed that most of these boats generate when done. Remember these style boats do not run on top of the water and are used in mostly protected areas. So keep the blob and possibly an entirely different looking two sides too, which will probably be generated unless a builder generates a temporary mould in the foward area, from my perspective.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:12 am

WOW , that did not take long.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:19 am

Grand Chillin wrote:Frog,
somebody else suggested the same thing, and looking back that might be the way to go. :D But as usual I followed the instructions and Glen even predicted there being trouble with the bottom at the bow "Pulling together the forward bottom requires considerable force." other than that setback I'm pleased so far. :D
His link shows an entirely different boat that only needs to open up to a shorter width also with a sharper angle and probably would not apply. While I also support that setup, the bottom on your boat especially in the stem will experience a more intense stress factor. So don't be so hard on yourself sir.
Dave your point was? 8)

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 am

The interior is glued and taped, not our best work :( :oops: the keel laminations are next.
Pug 039.jpg

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 am

I was wonderin when we were gunna get more pics!

taps fingers on desk waiting on side profile view....

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Installed the first of three keel laminations tonight, the first one is a piece of 2" wide 1/4" plywood, the next two are 4" wide. we had to get creative with the weights. The bricks look like a line of freight train cars. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Pug 041.jpg

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Looking good cuz!!! I'm still waiting on a side view..... :)

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 am

Looks usable right now.

What about the pontoon?
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 pm

PB, I haven't forgotten about your picture, but I need to pull her outside to get your profile picture and it was calling for rain today. :( Dave, the pontoon is on hold for right now. I was informed that it wouldn't be for long. :shock: :roll: In the mean time we started on the bottom battens tonight, they will consist of a 4" wide piece of 1/4" plywood topped with a piece of solid 1"x2".there will also be a 1"x2" batten between there and the sides. I hope to finish the keel tomorrow. :D
Pug 043.jpg

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:20 pm

I am like'n this lil dude. I might have to start into my lil air cooler motor soon. I'm not sure what make it is, or what HP, but it is electric start. :-) It will werk nice in a pug and the only running hardware I need is a strut.....

Look'n good cuz.

Return to “Electric Power”