Marine Batteries

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Soloboat

Marine Batteries

Postby Soloboat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm

What type batteries do you use. My setup is 5.7 L chev about 260HP, I am running two batteries, one house battery for all accessories VHF, stereo, bilge pumps, anchor lights, etc the other is exclusively for starting, also using an isolator so batteries should be topped off apprppriately. I have looked at Exide's AGM marine deep cycle, hybrid dual purpose batteries and marine starting battery. What combination would you run for a boat which will see extended runs perhaps going up to 50 miles off shore?.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Lowka53

Re: Marine Batteries

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 pm

8) you want deep cells for the lights and cabin usage the battery for motor you need one for cranking power. The other is for extended usage.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Solo, the house bank should be deep cycle type,however,it also depends how long you will be running, and how long sitting.

In other words, if you are sitting out anchored overnight somewhere, you need deep cycle batteries isolated so it doesn't run down the starting battery. and will charge isolated at a different rate ...if you are only sitting anchored up for a couple of hours, then running/recharging, you might be better off with combo batteries for the house bank.

DeltaDawg

Postby DeltaDawg » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:56 am

Denzil, I have had great luck with Costco deep cycle marine, my 1st 2 lasted 4 years but the 2 I replaced recently lasted 7 years, I have been better at keeping them charged, I have an on board Quest charger from West Marine. I started with the 110 amp hour size but have dropped down to the 80 amp hour size, I am cranking a much smaller motor than you.

The meter on the left has a peak voltage (DVA) adaptor is the reason it is reading different, I had just bought the adaptor and was curious about the readings before I took my stator coil readings with it.

When is your A-Lure going to float, I am anxious to see the pictures? Leland
Attachments
IMG_0822.JPG

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks guys I think I will look at Costco's batteries One with some serious CCA's and one deep cycle with plenty of reserve capacity. Leland I am very close hoping for launch mid April. Just curious as to which outfit makes their batteries.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Return to “Electric Power”