tip for PUG builders

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Brian Curry

tip for PUG builders

Postby Brian Curry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 am

One of the hardest things in building the PUG is bringing the forward halves of the bottom together......"requires considerable force" according to the instructions. I bought a ratchet strap at Walmart for $5.98 (the kind used to secure cargo) and used it to bring the two halves together as I stiched it.......a LOT easier.

Grand Chillin

Re: tip for PUG builders

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Brain,

I tried straps, rope, c-clamps and about everything else, but the kitchen sink. :wink: :lol: I'm glad things are coming together. :P How about some update pictures. :roll:

Chip
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Chip,

here's a couple of pics of my PUG......I had considered cutting the aft sheer at the temp batten......glad to hear you did the same thing....now I'll do it and march on! I can't believe the stern came together perfectly except for a 1/4 " gap at the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Brain,

Your bow looks alot like mine did. She is coming along great. :D The stern does come out nicely.
But, mine has a big hole in it now. :shock: :roll: I once joked about turning the boat around and using the stern as the bow. :wink: :lol:

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

fixed the mismatched curves in the bow....a little 1/4" plywood and epoxy putty and it's almost a fair curve....a little more sanding and it's done. If all else fails, I can use the bow for a battering ram. Also, I was a little concerned about the sheer line....seemed to flatten out after the bow curve. I was going to cut a long curve in the bulwark to compensate. But when I used a temp spreader to test fit the aft bulkhead in place ....lo and behold the sides spread apart enough to give a nice upward slope to the stern.....just like in the drawings. Presently I'm laminating the keel and battens........progress!
Attachments
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Alright Brian,

It has been a week with no update!!! :( What gives. :roll:

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am

I'm ready to epoxy the interior and then install the deck supports. I'm about ready to order the hull covering kit....I don't believe in buying everything up front......if disaster strikes, you're out a lot of money....I buy as I progress along. As you can see, I'm building the boat in my gravel driveway (no garage).....we had a big rainstorm last Saturday and I was out in the rain trying to get my tarp positioned so the rain wouldn't puddle in the tarp and weigh it down and cause all sorts of problems. Alas, the next day when I took off the tarp I had a couple of inches of water down low in the boat....first time I ever bailed out a boat in my driveway. So I have to get a new tarp and epoxy the interior before the next rain comes! Here's a pic of where I stand now.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_1461.JPG

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 am

Got the foredeck supports in......will install the side deck supports next...if the weather cooperates. It's real cool today and they predict rain for the next couple of days. I ordered the hull fibreglass kit so I should be ready to turn her over in a few days. I'm almost out of epoxy....I guess I always mix up a little more than required for each part of the job.....I don't want to run out 80% of the way through and have to mix up some more. Here's a pic of where I am now....I figured two months to complete the boat.....don't think I'll make it....maybe by the fourth of July. I'm retired so I have no excuses.

Hey GrandChillin, I'll be catching up to you soon.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_1463.JPG

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Brian,

You are coming right along and she is looking good. :D But, I do have excuses: full- time job, family, grandsons' ball games and middle of boat work phone calls from a certain rum runner. :roll: :wink: :lol: Oh, and not to mention I'm about to finish up on a TNT. I hope to finish it next week and then it is full speed ahead on the PUG :D

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 am

Yep blame it on that Rum Runner....every time he calls, you are holding a can from spilling,and supervising a crew!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or so I've heard!! :roll: 8) 8) 8)

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 am

Oh yea,to get back on track,Brian your Pug progress is looking good

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Sun May 06, 2012 10:06 am

Lost two days due to rain and took a day off to go to my grandson's baseball game (he hit a double and scored a run). Time to get back to work. Got the side deck supports in and I'm ready to flip her over, but wouldn't ya know it my hull kit has been delayed.....out of epoxy at Glen-l....ouch! Maybe I'll spend some time sanding the interior. I don't want to install the deck until I'm done with the hull and flip her back over.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_1474.JPG

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Nice work, Brian, :D

Are you going to install the bulwarks before you glass? Also, out of curiosity what width between your carlings did you end up with at the 4" beam and at their aft end?

Chip

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Chip, I got 46.5" and 51.5" between the carlings......it's not important to me because I'm not building the wheelhouse as per the plans....I'm doing my own design. As for the bulwarks.....I'll install them after I'm done glassing the hull and turn her back over. I haven't decided yet if I want to do the bulwarks as per the plans or just do the forward ones with a concave curve mating it to the aft sheer. I'll have to draw some sketches with my wheelhouse on the hull and see which looks best. I'll install the backing block for the bow eye today with the last of my epoxy and get my neighbor to help me turn her over.

Brian

Brian Curry

Postby Brian Curry » Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 am

Got her flipped over......put in screws for the battens......waiting for my hull kit so I can do filling of some screw holes and other minor stuff and then it's glass and paint time....oh yeah, and some sanding too!

Brian
Attachments
IMG_1475.JPG

Return to “Electric Power”