Long lasting Batteries for your money

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Capitol

Long lasting Batteries for your money

Postby Capitol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:59 am

I've been using "DEKA" batteries "Made in USA" They produce the AGM deep cycle battery and many others.
I've been using them for 2.5 years on my electric boat application. Amps, cranking power are needed but what you really should be looking
at is Life cycles of the battery. DEKA deep Cycle Intimidator battery has 500-700 life cycles.
What does this mean to you is owning a battery that will last a long time.
Oh yes, proper care is always needed. Keep them charged with AGM charger.
If you used amps out of the battery you should top it off. If you let them sit
you will find these batteries will hold 95% I was really surprised by this.
If my batteries sits for couple of 3+ weeks I will top them off just to keep them full.
I want my 4D batteries to last me at least 8+ years
You need a good stepped charger. I purchased one from Napa by the brand of SOLAR
Good price (54.00 dollars plus tax)and long lasting. I hope this helps on your search. You also can purchase
DEKA cranking batteries but as it goes on all cranking batteries you only get 100 to 150 life cycles.
Also I do not work for DEKA, I just did my research and purchased the best battery for my electric boat application

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Long lasting Batteries for your money

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks for the info Capitol--that's what this Forum is about. Sharing research so that the next guy doesn't have to work as hard!

dad21dog

Postby dad21dog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

lithium ion batteries may be more expensive but last alot longer and from what I hear, of lighter weight. I myself will be going hybrid in my Drake with a small diesel for long cruising and an add on electric motor for getting in and out of ports.....using solar panels to recharge as well as powering onboard systems. I will be going with Lithium Ion batteries on the boat......can't wait to start the hull....
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

"love should be multiplied, not divided"

dad21dog

Postby dad21dog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Will do, could be a few years yet but the whole idea sounds exciting to me too as i like any idea that is somewhat environmentally friendly. The harbours will have one less boat to pollute their waters and one more silent boat in and out of the port. Diesels are so noisy etc when you need to give commands for bow and stern lines etc
Dad21dawg
aka Christopher

"love should be multiplied, not divided"

emory70

Postby emory70 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:31 pm

I've looked into lithium ion batteries for my motorcycles. I'm holding off for now. I've read a lot of conflicting stories about them. The most troubling is their uselessness in cold weather. They are MUCH lighter than the awful lead batteries we all still use for some reason. More research is needed before I decide on my next battery purchase.

Return to “Electric Power”