Stumped on wiring my Stiletto

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

dfleisher

Post by dfleisher » Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 am

Hi. My name is Dave and I am building a 16' Stiletto with my dad, 3,5 years in. What an experience. We have come to the point where we need to wire the boat and are stumped with what exactly to put where. The gas tank is in under the front bench seat.

Are there any wiring specific wiring plans that someone can share. We do not know about electronics so we need specifics or other suggestions. Also is one battery sufficient, we have received conflicting information. Due to our reconfiguration of the seating we want to put the battery up front.

The boat will have:
nav lights front and back, two bilge pumps, gauges: tach, volts, gas and trim, switches for nav lights, bilge and aux, probably a couple extras and the remote.

We will use the boat mainly in lakes and near shore. What am I missing and any suggestions youall have would be greatly appreciated. Once we get past this step we can finish the boat.

Thanks so much in advance. Dave

gdcarpenter

Re: Stumped on wiring my Stiletto

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu May 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Can't imagine any need for two batteries.

I probably made some revisions along the way but this is the basic wiring diagram I created for my ZIP. Hope this helps a bit.

All circuits should run through and be protected by a fuse rated for the current draw of the circuit.
All circuits need a 'ground' wire to let those little electrons get back to the negative terminal of the battery.

It's like water flowing through a pipe!

I have my battery under the front deck and ran 6 gauge cables back to the transom for connecting to the engine main power leads.

Any specific questions you have ask away or PM me, congrats on the build to date, the devil is in the details!

If you do a search here I have some photos of my actual wiring under the thread title "And the Lord said let there be light" and some under "Pre Launch - ZIP".
Attachments
Pragmatic.png
Schematic.png
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu May 01, 2014 1:50 pm

here are a couple of easier to follow schematics I found while researching my wiring project.
Attachments
Malahine%2520Electric.jpg
untitled.JPG

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Great information above from GD.
A second battery is great if you plan on staying out for hours with accessories running such as radio or lighting at night. They are a significant weight though. You could put in a small sized SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) one like are used in alarm systems, they are quite small and will run a radio or lights for a few hours without draining your start battery. You can always add one later if you find you need to, so maybe start with just a main battery. Personally, I'd put a low voltage cutout supplying accessories or at least a low voltage alarm of some sort so you don't get caught out.

Something like this:
http://www.baintech.com.au/battery-prot ... -out-40amp
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

dfleisher

Post by dfleisher » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Thank you guys so much for your assistance. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope to be in the water in July but I'm sure you guys know how weekend project go. Thanks again very much and I'm sure I'll have more questions. David

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks gd, those are some great diagrams. I've saved them off for future reference. (i'm not quite there yet, but getting close :) )

dfleisher

Post by dfleisher » Fri May 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Attached is a picture where we are. Can't wait to get in the water. Thanks Again!
Attachments
photo.JPG

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm

That's down right beautiful. If I were ever to build another boat it would likely be the Stilleto. Hmmmmm, maybe that '61 Mercury 700 FGS (aka "Dockbuster/Tower of Power") that came with the donor boat I bought when building my ZIP........it's still sitting in the basement awaiting some restoration.

I got a little fancy and used 2 bilge pumps, one activates at 3/8" and the other at 1 1/2", kinda safety back up. They are both wired so one lead is direct to the battery ( with a switch in line) for automatic operation, and one lead from each to a 3 way switch so I can 'manually' activate either 1 or 2 pumps. I have no transom drain plugs and the boat can be in the water for a month at a time.

A main circuit breaker feeding the fuse panel is 'insurance', and I also installed an 80 amp breaker between the battery and the cable that runs in the bottom of the boat to feed the terminals on the transom that connect to the engine main power leads.

You have to be getting a bit antsy to get her wet, but now is no tie to slack off!

Be a bit more challenging for you as I did my wiring before the deck went on, us old folks don't much like crawling under the dash :)

travis24

Post by travis24 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm

No GD you state this is your 1st and last build, Just ship that 700 to Michigan and I'll take good care of it.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri May 09, 2014 4:11 pm

You are right, I've built my boat - guess I'll have to mount the 700 on my ZIP once that engine restored. :)

RastaBax

Post by RastaBax » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 am

I am ready to help you, set questions.

Return to “Electric Power”