Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

CaptDave

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Postby CaptDave » Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm

CaptDave wrote:
rleete wrote:
CaptDave wrote:(the fat guy with the wide brimmed hat is Capt Dave)

Looks like you need to build another boat. I hear sanding is great exercise...

Sounds like a plan to me...
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Hogwild

Postby Hogwild » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm

I just read your story on building amp eater and loved it, I agree it was a happy day when I wrestled the carlings in place.

Hogwild

Postby Hogwild » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm

The surrey top is made of sunbrella fabric' The framework is made of 3/4 inch pvc. The posts have dowels inside for strength. The posts set in stainless steel stanchion bases that extend below deck. The posts are not glued to the top. They merely fit snug. Everything is held togather by the straps that go from the fabric to the deck. The framework for the top is glued together. The pvc was bent. Hot sand was put inside the pipe and it was bent around a form until cool. Orginally the pvc was to be a prototype with the real framework made of stainless steel or aluminum. Since the boat goes slow the pvc was ok. For storage short pieces of pvc can be put into stanchion bases and the top covers the cockpit,

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Stephen,
Thanks for the detail on building your top. I hope to tackle that later this summer.
Did you paint the PVC blue or did you get it that way? Your Deck really turned out nice.
It appears you have removable hatch covers. Do you have some kind of latch to hold them down?
Capt. Dave

Hogwild

Postby Hogwild » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm

The hatch covers are held down with stainlesss steel draw latches. Got them on amazon. THE PVC was painted with spray can that was made for plastic. Deck has 4 coats of epoxy and 6 coats of exterior urethane sanded between coats.

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Not sure how I missed this beautiful boat when I first began cruising these forums. Great job Capt!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the compliment. The credit goes to Glen L Whit for the beautiful lines he gave this boat and for the easy to follow instructions. The simple elegance of this design is what kept me coming back to the amp eater as my first choice to build.

If there is anyone out there who is viewing this post and you are wondering, "Could I build the Amp Eater? or another Glen-L boat?" Yes you can. Check out some of my construction photos here: https://www.boatdesigns.com/images/Amp-Eater-Construction-Fannon.pdf
If this guy who had only minimal wood working skills can do it so can you. I built practically the entire hull using only a jig saw, a hand drill, a small block plane, sandpaper a pair of pliers and a circular saw. In just over 100 hours of work over the course of 4 months, working available evenings and weekends, the hull was complete. Just follow the instructions! Any other help you need you can get on the forum by reading previous posts and asking questions. There are many proficient boat builders who are willing to help!

I'm so glad I bought plans from Glen-L. The full size patterns and the detailed instructions along with help from the forum and friendly staff assured me of my ability and ensured my success!

Of course if you want to talk to some boat builders in person and see the boats they have built from plans you have seen on the web site, then come to the Boat Builders Gathering in Guild, TN, on Nickajack Lake downstream from Chattanooga, Sept 14-15 and 16.

That's what I did and I ordered my plans after returning home.

Go for it!
Capt. Dave

Return to “Electric Power”