Solar powered Amp Eater

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Solar powered Amp Eater

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for the update, Dave. It makes a lot more sense to see pictures of how the motor mounts. That's going to be a very quiet and efficient boat!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:10 am

Neat to see this kind of install. Big milestone in your build too.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks Chris and Matt,
Mounting the motor is a milestone and gives me the feeling of being on the home stretch. Now just for some warm weather. Yesterday I Got out my Garmin GPS Chart-plotter Fishfinder Combo and began to plan just where I will mount the transducer. I also sat down to catch up on entering in all my receipts to see just how far over budget the project is going to be. I have purchased everything I am going to need as far as I can determine except for the anchor and line and the fire extinguisher. I have not bought anything for the solar charging set up. That will happen later but hopefully before the next gathering. If I don't count the tools I bought, the new trailer and the GPS I will only be about 700 -800 over my original estimate of $6000.00. When I am done I will publish my cost spread sheet with all break downs. My wife and I are working on our vacation plans which revolve around the boat this year. Sept will be the G-10. we have given our kids till next month to see if they want to go. If grandchildren will be there we will get a land cabin, if not we'll reserve a floating cabin. The first full weekend in October is the Wye Island Electric Boat Marathon in the Eastern Bay of Chesapeake Bay near St.Micheals MD. A 24 mile all electric, batteries only cruise.
I hope to place well in the lead batteries division. Just to complete the course will be an achievement. I will have the first Glen-l electric boat to participate in the 15 year history of the race, But hopefully not the last!
I can hardly wait for overnight temps to be over freezing so I can get back to It. I want to be boat builder Dave not snowblower Dave!
Capt. Dave

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 pm

The Wye island race sounds like a good time. I hope to make it to the Gathering to see your boat finished. It is such a neat design.

irie E

Postby irie E » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Great looking boat CaptDave, its really coming along! Nice to see projects with electric propulsion. I had a few questions about your setup. I noticed you have installed 2 contactors, a standard and a reversing, I was curious as to why? Were you planning to run a reduction with your pulley setup? How many batteries were you planning to use?

I'm running a me1004 (1:1) with a 10.5x12 prop on a 12' boat, 48v system but @24v the prop turns about 1200 rpm and draws 200 amps. Not sure if that helps at all but its at least a rough idea of power draw and loaded rpm.

That wye island race looks pretty cool. I had only recently heard about that.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:25 pm

irie,

I am running an ME0909 at 24 volts with 4 interstate GC2-XHD 232 AH batteries. I have a 1.81 to 1 drive ratio to start out with. Max Prop rpm would be 1288. That would give a theoretical speed of 14.6 mph with no slippage. I expect my cruising speed will be a prop speed of about 750 rpm. I have an 11"dia prop w/12" pitch. The motor has a 100 amp continuous rating but I mostly expect to be running speeds at less than 50 amps. I may have to use a higher ratio set up. I am only expecting a top speed of about 7 knots - 1/3 that of your surface drive. The main contactor will shut off all power to the controller but the reversing contactors only affect the power from the controller to the motor. This is the recommended set up from the controller manufacturer (alltrax)

To day I installed the belt tensioning bolt. Simple adjustment - 8" carriage bolt with wing nut lock bolt.
Motor with belt tensioner bolt.jpg
Me0909 motor showing belt tensioning bolt

This past week my wife brought back from Chattanooga the seat cushions my very talented sister in law Melanie made for me. I put them in place just to see how the cockpit was going to look when finished.
New Cushions Set in place.jpg
New seat cushions made with Sunbrella fabric and roping. Very Nautical.

Thank you Melanie!

Thanks to some warmer weather I can get a little work done on the boat.
Last edited by CaptDave on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Dave

irie E

Postby irie E » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Great looking seat cushions! Thank you for explaining the dual contactor's. I had mechanical reverse with the outboard conversion so I hadn't bothered with a reversing contactor. For what they cost one would think it would handle it all.

I'm very interested to see what you get for actual run times with those batteries. They are too heavy for my application but 232ah is great. I get 45ah per module so 90ah with the 2 i run currently, but I could add at least 2 more with little impact to the boats performance. I got my batteries from eBay, they were supposedly brand new but I really have no way of verifying that. They have performed quite well.

The belt tensioner setup is very clever. I look forward to hearing how the boat performs.

I

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm

It is about 41 degrees this afternoon on Superbowl Sunday. After doing a few chores I have time before the game to go out to work on the boat. I decided to put on the 2 V-belts and test the motor.
Here is a you tube video of the test.
https://youtu.be/8guhP6ARa3Q
Amp eater Motor with belts.jpg

This is my first time posting a video.
My wife Melissa is the cinematographer.
Capt. Dave

irie E

Postby irie E » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Looked like very smooth operation. What part of the motor mount was moving? I couldn't see it from the video. Are the batteries going in that box also or are they located elsewhere?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am

Awesome, fired right up and no smoke!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 am

Looks great, Dave!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
The belt tension is pulling the motor slightly out of alignment. I am going to put a bolt at the back of the motor mount to keep everything in parallel. The temp is beginning to drop and is reminding me that we are in the middle of winter. Might be a little while before another warm weekend is here to work on the boat. Seeing the prop turn under power I can almost hear the water slapping the hull of the boat as it quietly glides through the water. About 30 hours of work on the boat from now and I will be making the appointment at the division of watercraft for the inspection. (hopefully sometime in April ) It won't be long now before this daydream is reality. I am already thinking about making my reservation at Hales Bar for G-11.

The batteries will be in boxes and strapped to the light colored wood frames visible in the video. The rudder linkage runs between the batteries in back. The 2 batteries in the front will be side by side strapped to a a single frame in front of the bow seat. I will be sure to include pictures of that as it comes together.
Capt. Dave

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:32 pm

A spell of good weather means I can work on the boat. I decided it was a good time to mix up and pour in some flotation foam. I have never done this before but I have watched a couple of videos of others doing it. Here is a video of my first experience with foam. You learn by doing........
https://youtu.be/gjMe1ZiutcU

****Yes, you are allowed to laugh while watching. I had a good laugh myself.****
As you see, the foam expanded much more than I had anticipated. I had a little bit of a mess but not too bad.
Here is a picture after I trimmed off the excess with a sharp knife borrowed from the kitchen and smoothed with a sanding block with 80 grit.
Flotation Foam Trimmed and sanded.jpg
Flotation Foam trimmed and sanded

The forward battery shelf fits nicely over top of the foam.
Flotation Foam Below Battery Rack.jpg
Battery Shelf over Flotation Foam

I hope to pour the foam under the sole and in the stern in the next couple evenings if the temperature holds.
Then its off to Hilton Head for a couple days of R&R,
Capt. Dave

EnsWayne

Postby EnsWayne » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am

I admit I did chuckle a little bit watching the video.

Does the flotation foam provide a density spec or some kind of guidance on how to calculate how much buoyancy the foam gives your boat?

Disclaimer: Not a boat builder. I am the electrical engineer son mentioned several posts ago. I created an account on the forum so that Capt. Dave's answers to all my many questions could be seen by the rest of you as well.
Ensign Wayne

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 am

Wayne

Foam adds no buoyancy, until you sink. Water weighs 62.4 #/cy. ft. Generally, floatation is calculated bases on 60 #/cu. ft. So, allow 2.4 #/cu. ft. for the density of the foam.

(Damn electrical engineers.)

Bill (A Civil Eng.)
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Electric Power”