Quad electrical motor/prop system for a 150' frigate

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

weevar

Quad electrical motor/prop system for a 150' frigate

Postby weevar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Well a local salvager/scrapper had six electric boat engines all the same. All of them have seemed to of never used. After consulting with a cop to make sure they when where not stole and the local dock electrical engineer as he inisits i call him sence he has a PhD in the field to make sure they worked and to acess the conditions that the electric engines were.

I bought all of them for 3,500 usd half the price of new ones of the same model. So Im thinking about taking apart 2 for replacement parts and using the remaing electric engines for a quad prop system. An electric engine is basicly a motor, gear box, alternator, and a basic propellar.

The props will be 3' from each other in a diamound configuration and is designed to work in pairs the laft and right pair/the top and bottom pair but will still work with all engines running at once. The pair system is for repairing/maintain the engines when in open water(s) with out needing to go into port which I love.

I will live on this boat and I had just sailed to hawaii from California in my last boat. my next trip is to go to the Caribbean through the panama canal with my boat im working on now

weevar

Re: Quad electrical motor/prop system for a 150' frigate

Postby weevar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:17 pm

i just tested the electric motors house power and found it to be 100 hp each and they shook lose so im looking to renforce the mounting for the electric motor which is huge by the way the whole system is 3 feet wide my 5 feet long with the prop and shaft on the bottom of theelectric motor system.

it can be turned on its side and upside-down and still work with out any prblems so far but its the ones that are turn on there side that shook lose and by that i mounting an over time the bolts came loose how can i fix this

aero_dan

Re: Quad electrical motor/prop system for a 150' frigate

Postby aero_dan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 pm

WOW DUDE!, that is a project! As for the vibrations, "Motors" are electric, and are inhearantly very smooth running, no-matter the size, if the power going into them is correct. If you are having vibrations, I would be looking into where it is comming from. I know it is a pain, but try pulling the motors from the drives and see if there is still the vibrations. At this point in the conversation, you do not know what is causing the vibrations. You MUST isolate this prior to mounting. They will never stay bolted down if you can not isolate and eliminate that. Your vibrations could be from out of sync or damaged controllers, (out of balance power to the windings). It could be from problems in the drives, or an out of balance prop (if that was installed when you tried it). By all means, keep us posted. Some of us only visit here rarely.
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

Return to “Electric Power”