Electric Drive

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Grand Chillin

Electric Drive

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm

I am building a 16' Hunk Finn pontoon for use on our pond. Wanted to know if anybody has built a Glen-L electric drive. Haven't decided on a drive system let, so all help welcomed.

Thanks, Chip
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Cranky Badger

Re: Electric Drive

Post by Cranky Badger » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Just a thought Chip, but replacing the powerhead on an outboard with a golf cart motor would give you reverse without using a reversing solenoid pack. Using a longshaft o/b would work better off a pontoon deck anyway I think.

Oyster posted this link in another thread recently, but here it is again.

From what I've read, the outboard conversion's toughest part to DIY is machining a coupler to join the two shafts.

I think you could improve on the o/b conversion by ducting a slower, bigger prop as well rather than relying on the stock o/b cav plate, but we'll see in the spring after I scare up a motor and controller.

I haven't seen the E-drive plans other than what's posted on the website, but I think I'd want to have the mount welded up from steel or aluminum rather than ply once you consider how tight those belts would need to be to keep them from slipping under the torque of an electric motor spinning a prop from a dead stop, but that's JMHO.

All I've done so far on my own project is to get the donor o/b, but another option I've been thinking about instead is using these in a tunnel. On a pontoon, you could use a single motor on each hull with its own battery bank though it would be pretty exposed when beaching the boat. Though I suppose you could rig up a sort of hinged 'trim tab' mount that would be driven down into position by thrust but kick up if a skeg hits bottom...
I emailed Minn Kota a while ago about using these as for continuous-duty applications but their warranty wouldn't cover them in that case. I thought that was odd considering that they get used for trolling for hours at a time...
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Brian,

At this point I'm just considering my options. The main reason I asked about the electric drive is because I have a 1994 electric EZ-GO golf cart that my boys have driven the wheels off of. :lol: The motor controller and charger are still in good shape. Also, a friend of mine is an EZ-GO dealer who could help with wiring, etc..
I had already checked out Oyster's link. An electric outboard would be the easiest way to go. Explored that guy's whole web site, he is something else. Even looked at Minn Kota and Rayeo, but $$$$. Plug and play would be nice. Something different would be better.
Had a crazy thought this afternoon. What if I took the working from the golf cart and install midship or more forward at an angle, long drive shaft, extended strut and rudder. Now that would be something a pontoon with an inboard. :lol:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Grand Chillin - you are really starting to sound like one of this growing group of renegades. :lol:

If there is a will there is a way. But since you have now opened your mouth, we have to see it at the next Gathering. You will not be let off the hook :twisted:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:07 pm

I do wish that Falcon would come back for a bit. That man is the king of kings in regards to making the unorthodox plain. But you have the golf car to draw on, with a bit or marinizing of the fittings and wiring to make it safe for water use.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Dave,

I have followed this forum for about a year now and I am still in awe of the builds and builders. It is a honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as The Merry Band Of Renegades! :D Been told before this or that couldn't be done, only drove me harder. Hope you have finally kicked that stomuch bug. Felt for you.

Oyster,

I told y'all about my boys. Didn't tell you that this cart has already been swimming. :lol: One day I will have to tell the story about how another cart became stuck vertically up against a pine tree, yes vertically. Saw it with my own eyes, still don't know how. Going to give my buddy with the dealership a call tomorrow. He will get a kick out of this. He is a boat nut too.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Dave ,

Almost forgot about the gathering. Wanted to go this year, but already had something planned. Well, I didn't. :( I keep checking for a post of when and where for next year. Soon as I know it will be on my calender. Don't worry about loosening your drag, I want put up much of a fight. :lol:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:Dave,

I have followed this forum for about a year now and I am still in awe of the builds and builders. It is a honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as The Merry Band Of Renegades! :D Been told before this or that couldn't be done, only drove me harder. Hope you have finally kicked that stomuch bug. Felt for you.

Hey, they accepted me, warts and all!!!!!!! :lol:

And yes, the work of these guys is something to behold.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm

And so is your work.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:46 am

This guy from Frisco was at the Gathering 09.
He says to use Motorguide I think the Electronics is in the motor so all you have to hook up is the controls.
Great innovation.jpg

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:53 am

Thud- that is the boat that immediately came to mind. I was really impressed how he hid the battery cable making it look like a rope. Here is a top view.
SF electric tiller.jpg
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 am

Anyone can use a Mini Kota motor. But thats not why we are here. We all come here and work way too hard to complicate all matters of boats and to overspend and continue to wonder aimlessly in our minds about these projects even while sitting in church worshiping to another God before us. :oops:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:07 am

Oyster wrote:Anyone can use a Mini Kota motor. But thats not why we are here. We all come here and work way too hard to complicate all matters of boats and to overspend and continue to wonder aimlessly in our minds about these projects even while sitting in church worshiping to another God before us. :oops:

Huh!!!!.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 am

Dave, it was a dig at the suggestion about the trolling motors - using a ready-made solution when the problem could be solved by mad-scientist bodgery and busted knuckles instead.

And very eloquently put, btw... :mrgreen:
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 am

I wonder if we could use wound up rubber bands like the old balsa wood airplanes...... :idea:
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Return to “Electric Power”