Electric Drive

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Grand Chillin

Re: Electric Drive

Post by Grand Chillin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Guys,

I've had enough sanding for today, so I'm back to thinking. Which can get me in trouble sometimes.:D Removed the rearend out of the old EZ GO this weekend, boy did I get my money out of that thing.
"Image"
I know it not the best looking thing in the world, but with a little spit and elbow grease and paint who knows. Heck I've even been told that I have cleaned up pretty good once or twice in my life. :lol: OK, back to the business at hand. I am still exploring using this and the rest of the controls off of the cart. The differental is turning free, haven't tested the motor yet. Thought about installing it long ways in the middle pontoon and then transitioning to a drive shaft off of the axle facing aft. Then I remembered from past experience that these rearends send force to the axle with least resistence. The brakes are still on it so I could lock the other one down. Knowing that I need more torque I have been looking at gears and the lowest I can find is 15:1. I think the rearend has a 8:1 now. The motor is rated at 2800 RPM. Even if this would work I know that I'm still looking at the cost of new gears, drive shaft, prop, etc. Just wanting to let ya'll know that the ole ball was still bouncing in the empty space between my ears.

Chip

PS. That is wood snow you see on the floor.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:30 am

Okay let me help you out with some encouragment and motivation to keep your wheels turning on your 'toons. After our last conversation of getting a drive train out of your golf cart, the fix is really simple. These guys have a nice bimini top too on theirs. I am not sure if these guys are members and willing to share their setup. But if they can engineer it with few tools, then I have faith that you can also accomplish it. :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 am

Oyster,what kind of bottom paint did they use on that waterborne SUV??? :wink: :lol:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:36 am

upspirate wrote:Oyster,what kind of bottom paint did they use on that waterborne SUV??? :wink: :lol:
I think it was oil base. I bet Bill is blowing his stack by now, though. :P

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:46 am

Oyster and Upspirate,

You guys crack me up. I don't care what the rest say you two are alright. :lol: Did ya'll notice the name of that vessel? Get R Done She's not the prettest thing on the water but she's afloat and underway. :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Doesn't look like they used much bracing on the bottom....bet it "oil cans" a lot in waves!! :wink:

On a serious note,do you think the rear axle assembly would be just way to much extra weight?

I think I'd just use the motor with a prop shaft....maybe with some pulleys and belts like in the top of a drill press to play around with ratios if you need to.

If the axle has a differential like a car,you could always cut the not needed shaft/side off at the differential ,and weld up the spider gears inside to lock up the assembly like the hot rodders did for a "poor man's Positraction"

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Doesn't look like they used much bracing on the bottom....bet it "oil cans" a lot in waves!!
I bet the guys thought it was a slick idea.

propellanttech

Post by propellanttech » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Gives new meaning to "displacement hull".

James L

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ok, cut it out for a minute my sides are hurting.

Pirate,

Went out and weighed it after seeing your post. I had thought maybe 70 pounds by the way my 16 year old son had carried it when we took it out. Wrong! 100 pounds. I'm glad he wasn't in the garage when I picked it up. :oops: The weight factor is on my radar. The plans call for up to a 20 hp outboard hanging off the back, don't know how much one would weigh, yet! The specs say 1050 lbs load capacity. The one nice thing with these plans are you can build up to a 28' boat with them, so I have specs on all lenghts. This allowed me to calculate the extra load of 450 lbs by adding the middle pontoon. The only difference between it and the two main ones is one A section. I'm hoping this will cover the weight of motor, batteries, etc. and still leave me with about the original load capacity.
It just hit me when I looked at my notes that the specs included the weight of the deck unit, so the load capacity of the middle pontoon will be a little more. Let me fire up my #2 pencil and I will get back to you on that.
The belt/pulley idea had already crossed my mind. The Lo Voltage plans have such a setup so I e-mailed Glen-L hoping they had plans on just the setup and was told no. Hopefully, will be able to test the motor this week. If it doesn't work then my whole plan of using the old cart is shot. :(

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 am

Grand Chillin wrote:... The weight factor is on my radar ...
You might be looking in the wrong Parts Bin !

Do you have any old snowmobiles kicking around in SC ??

The following may be a little difficult to follow, but you may be able to fabricate something similar.

Here's a link to microfiche parts catalog for a 1987 Ski Doo ELAN 250 snowmobile. Are you still with us ??
  • 1) Chaincase can be mounted to an aluminum plate which can be bolted to a transversal cross member.

2) Click on the Clutch link. Fixed Pulley #22 feeds through the top of the chaincase. Splined end of shaft fits into top sprocket. Cut shaft and couple to engine or electric motor.

3) Click on the Track & Axle link. Splined drive axle #3 feeds through bottom of chaincase and fits into bottom sprocket. Cut shaft and couple to propeller shaft, or have propeller shaft machined to match the spline.
This chaincase should cut your weight down to a minimum. Several upper and lower sprocket combinations are available to change gearing. Finding a used sled will be a lot cheaper than trying to order a bunch of new parts !

OK Bill, you can stop laughing now :P

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am

You are joking, right? Thats like asking if Polar bears are from Florida. :D

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am

Grand Chillin wrote:
You are joking, right? Thats like asking if Polar bears are from Florida. :D

This year it feels like they could be!! :lol:

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 pm

This year it feels like they could be!!
Except for the last few days. Man today would have been a great day to be on the water. :)

Broke out the pencil and pad to refigure the extra load gained from the mlddle pontoon and right off the bat I found a mistake in my original math. :oops: I'm now at an extra 410 lbs and I know its right. Had my twelve year old check it. :lol:
Still confident that this should cover the weight of the motor and batteries. Also, today I discovered a way to test the motor with a battery charger. Going to try it tonight.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:18 pm

The motor works. :D Hooked my battery charger to the leads and it electricfied to life, can't say it roared to life. :lol:
At this point I think I might not need the lower gears. Locked down one axle and set the 12 volt charger at 2 amps and tried to stop the other axle with my hand. No way. Can't wait to see what 36 volts will do with one axle. Now all I need is a prop and drive shaft. Then I could test it on the water.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Wait,are you having the prop come out of the rear of the pod like from a sailboat keel,or under the pod bottom?
Pirate,
I'm back to this question you asked before. My answer is I don't know, need help figuring that out. I can go either way, but need to decide before I start building the middle pontoon. My problem is I don't know what size prop I need or the minimum depth to position it.
Guys I know I'm becoming a pest. I'm to blame for that, because once I set my mind on something I go for it head on. I always keep an open mind too. Matter of fact if this doesn't work I have a plan B to bug ya'll with. :D
Chip

I'm back something just hit me. I quess I need to be careful of the angle because of the oil in the differential. Right?

Return to “Electric Power”