Electric Drive

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

upspirate

Re: Electric Drive

Postby upspirate » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 am

You are probably right there in that the diff is normally level and it won't be in your case....all the lube will run down to one axle side if installed on an angle.In addition,the motor is normally to the front,horizontal isn't it,as opposed to upright as you have thought about installing?

I think it's way too much unnecessary weight to use the whole axle.

I think just direct or a pulley arrangement would probably work just fine

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 am

the motor is normally to the front,horizontal isn't it,as opposed to upright as you have thought about installing?

The motor does sit horizontal as in the picture but it is on top. Thought more about this after my post last night. If I knew the minimum prop depth I could then figure the minimum angle needed. That would tell me where the shaft would exit, at the bottom of the transom or through the bottom just forward of the transom. Knowing this answer would also dictate what running hardware needed and cost of same. Also, keeping the angle at a minimum would help with the oil in the rear end. I could always add extra oil to make sure the gears stay in the bath.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 am

Thowaway all the parts except the motor and rig up a shaft drive centerline with the middle pontoon at this point. I did not realize that you had three in this boat. There are numerous switching parts that can also be used. Its really simple. You can have foward and reverse too.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 am

Oyster wrote:Thowaway all the parts except the motor and rig up a shaft drive centerline with the middle pontoon at this point. I did not realize that you had three in this boat. There are numerous switching parts that can also be used. Its really simple. You can have foward and reverse too.

Oyster,

I thought you knew about the middle pontoon all along. I decided to build it mainly to make up for the weight of the batteries. The first problem with attaching the shaft to the motor is that there is no shaft off of the motor, also @2800 RPM I'm worried about torgue. I haven't checked to make sure but I think the gears in the rear end are 8:1 now. I found a 1" x 3/4" coupling yesterday that would fit the axle. Also, I still have all the electrical running gear off of the cart. :D If I only had some sort of shaft and old prop I could rig this up off of 14' boat boat and try it out.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 am

Hum, I am confused which does not always take that much. When I looked at the parts, there seems to be a direct drive train from the motor end in that housing. Let me get back to you later, as I am painting right now.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Oyster,

It looks like your gears are turning now. :lol: Thought it might be helpful if I posted some more pictures. The rear of the differential looks just like the front and here is my current thinking. Remove the brake assembly from the end of one of the axles and using the coupling I found to connect the prop shaft to the axle.

"Image"
"Image"

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Here I go again. I was wondering what if this setup didn't work as an inboard motor, maybe I could just use it and the pontoons and build a float plane. :lol: Remember this is running on 12 volts, not the 36 volts that I can't wait to try.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDou5mWM9-U"

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 am

I'm no expert,but for a plane,you would probably need more pitch to your prop!!!

And maybe longer blades!! :wink: :roll:

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 am

Guys, I don't know anything about props. Other than they turn and the boat moves.

Would this prop be in the ball park for my use?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-BLADE-11-INCH-BRASS-PROP-1-INCH-SHAFT-SIZE_W0QQitemZ250573034443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item3a575113cb

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:06 pm

I have no idea what size prop you would need for your set-up

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 pm

upspirate wrote:I have no idea what size prop you would need for your set-up

Pirate,

I came across this one and figured if could get a deal on it why not give it a shot.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:
upspirate wrote:I have no idea what size prop you would need for your set-up

Pirate,

I came across this one and figured if could get a deal on it why not give it a shot.

There is no need to buy a prop right now. Numerous prop shops will allow you to try different ones to experiement in most cases since many of the shops have used ones on consignment or taken in on trades.. One thing that you need to do right now is to size your shaft and drive train after you figure out which way to go. A one inch hub may or may not be what you end up with, even though there are inserts to downsize avaliable.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 pm

even though there are inserts to downsize avaliable

Didn't know about inserts. Thanks

Dadio

Postby Dadio » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:32 am

Yes, I'm in the process of building Lo Voltage with the "ED" just completed the "ED" while waiting for warmer weather to due the seams in Lo-Voltage.
"Calm seas do not make for good sailors"

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am

Dadio wrote:Yes, I'm in the process of building Lo Voltage with the "ED" just completed the "ED" while waiting for warmer weather to due the seams in Lo-Voltage.

Dadio,

I e-mailed Gail again about just buying the plans for the conventional drive for the Lo-Voltage. She said I can get just the plans for the boat ( which she said includes the detail for the inboard drive shaft setup ) and don't have to buy the patterns for the boat. I haven't really studied using an "ED" on the pontoon, but you got my gears spinning. You say you have completed an "ED" and you didn't post any pictures. :( We will let you off with a warning this time as long as you post some pictures ASAP. :D

Return to “Electric Power”