Electric Drive

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Dadio

Re: Electric Drive

Postby Dadio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Just picked up your post.... I do have pictures, but they are back in Michigan while I'm in Williamsburg, Va. this weekend. Will post pics as soon as I get back next week. I haven't purchased a golf cart motor yet, 36v or 48v don't know yet. I do remember reading something in the build material about pulley sizes and the electric motor, if the motor is rated at say, 3800 rpm's and the motor is rated 2000 you can use different pully sizes to reduce rpm's to the motor. The "ED" uses lower end unit from the cavitation plate down. That plus the shaft from the lower unit is bolted to an assembly. I did a similar thing with a Minkota and a Tubby Tug build. Modified that build using similar plans as the "ED" Then cut a brand new Minkota in half. tough part was routing steering to a ships wheel.
"Calm seas do not make for good sailors"

Dadio

Postby Dadio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:11 am

Here is a drawing of the "ED" explaining how it is suposed to work. My shaft was crafted out of Stainless Steel pipe and tiller arm and plate was 3/8" SS at a cost of about $230. Lower Unit is a Johnson, I think a 15 hp but what I was after was a 10" prop. Fiberglass tube that shaft runs through is made using the SS pipe as a mandrel. The only other cost was the self aligning bearing for a 1/2" shaft was less than $30 at McMasters on-line. The picture shows the "ED" minus one side for clarification.
Attachments
elecdrw.jpg
elecdrw.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 5375 times

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:11 pm

Dadio wrote:Here is a drawing of the "ED" explaining how it is suposed to work. My shaft was crafted out of Stainless Steel pipe and tiller arm and plate was 3/8" SS at a cost of about $230. Lower Unit is a Johnson, I think a 15 hp but what I was after was a 10" prop. Fiberglass tube that shaft runs through is made using the SS pipe as a mandrel. The only other cost was the self aligning bearing for a 1/2" shaft was less than $30 at McMasters on-line. The picture shows the "ED" minus one side for clarification.

Besides that drawing, there is step by step of Allyn building the "ED". How about the pictures of your "ED".

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/elecdr1.html
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Dadio

Postby Dadio » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of my Electric Drive... and one of the transom of "Lo Voltage" and the longitudinals that "ED" will go between.
Attachments
project1 006.jpg
project1 003.jpg
project1 002.jpg

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Dadio,

Thanks for the pictures. Good job! Can I ask one more favor? I was wondering if you could post the measurements of the plywood mount and the lower unit. Then I can see if one will fit in the middle pontoon.

Dadio

Postby Dadio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 am

The width of the longitudinals is 8". Plans call for 8"X21" base but did not account for the 1/2" plywood sides. So the width of the base was 7" + 1/2" + 1/2"=8"

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 pm

I have not given up on my idea of using the rearend and motor out of the old golf cart for the pontoon boat. My number one goal is still to use it to power an inboard in the middle pontoon, but after considering cost and the fact that I was winging it I had to look at other options. This is what I'm thinking about now. A paddlewheel. I'm thinking about mounting the rearend assembly parallel to the aft end of the deck with a drive sprocket on each axle. Say 10 tooth. Then suspending the paddlewheel on an 1" drive shaft with larger sprockets. What size/# of teeth I don't know yet. Been looking at go kart stuff to keep the cost down. Since I'm still trying to save up some coins to buy the rest of my plywood I have been messing around with some wood to build the wheel. Any suggestions are always welcome.

16' Huck Finn 003.JPG

16' Huck Finn 002.JPG
16' Huck Finn 003.JPG

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Chip - with all due respect - that is cool

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Thank You, Kind Sir. Now put Gertrude and her offsprings away I was nice as you asked. :shock: :lol:

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 am

:shock: :roll:

frog4

Postby frog4 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 am

awaiting snail mail to deliver my plans for "ED" ...

any more on this build with the golf cart motor?

Grand Chillin

Postby Grand Chillin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Frog,
are you referring to mine or Dadio's?

frog4

Postby frog4 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:Frog,
are you referring to mine or Dadio's?

BOTH :)

how did they turn out?

Dadio

Postby Dadio » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:24 am

I'm still in the process... a little detour with back surgery this summer, prime building time. Deck and hull complete. Three coats of poly on the deck after three coats of epoxy. #0000 steel wool and polishing to do. Have cleats and chocks, flag pole and step plate to install after that. Should be ready to install motor and electronics this week. I opted not to get into a used golf cart motor but bought the MARS -709 24-72 volt motor new. I have some pictures I can upload when I get home tonight. Oops, found a couple on my memory stick. One after painting hull and another while completing the deck.
Attachments
Lo-Voltage2.jpg
Lo-Voltage1.jpg

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 am

Looking good, Great finish on the paint job. I thing this boat building puts us all in line for back surgery :D

Return to “Electric Power”