Electric Drive

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

Mr Hot Rod

Re: Electric Drive

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am

What if I took the working from the golf cart and install midship or more forward at an angle, long drive shaft, extended strut and rudder. Now that would be something a pontoon with an inboard. :lol:
Sounds to me like a twin Bob Drive Installation ...
Best feature would be the retractable running gear. Think of the fun you'd have steering the thing !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:44 am

Thud and Dave,

I was impressed with that boat also. Cables in rope. I like that kind of thinking.

Oyster wrote "Anyone can use a Mini Kota motor." Even me. :lol:

"Image"
"Image"

Like I said have already considered a bolt on or a conversion of one. But I know that this boat needs more thrust. Already wish I had more in the tug. Would love to give Mr. Hot Rod a run for his money. :lol:

ttown,

Rubber bands. I like the way you think. They also were little rubber band powered boats.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:33 pm

BTW- We conducted extensive sea trails before the surgery :lol: I even crack myself up sometimes.

"Image"

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Grand Chillin wrote:BTW- We conducted extensive sea trails before the surgery :lol: I even crack myself up sometimes.

"Image"

Just a thought....if you turn the motor around in that tug picture....it'll go frontwards!!! :wink: :roll: :lol:

Are you thinking solar panels on the hard top?

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 pm

upspirate,

Good one. And to think I kept telling them to turn the boat around. :lol:

I had another brain f---, I mean storm today. How about twin Minn Kotas and dual throttles. It would look like one of them fancy off shore runners. :lol:

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 pm

OK Guys,

Put your thinking caps on. My mind keeps coming back to this crazy inboard idea. Above deck, below deck, direct drive, gear driven, etc. :?: My buddy with EZ-GO was out today. Hopefully he will call tomorrow. I think we are on to something. :D
"Image"
Would like to have the motor and drive system under deck. Should have room. Pontoons at midship are 19" and the plans give a draft of 9". Then hide batteries and controls in seats and storage.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am

Grand Chillin wrote:upspirate,

Good one. And to think I kept telling them to turn the boat around. :lol:

I had another brain f---, I mean storm today. How about twin Minn Kotas and dual throttles. It would look like one of them fancy off shore runners. :lol:

That would work....but you'd have to have hydraulic ram lifts on your battery box/motor lid and a mirror on the under side of it!!!

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 pm

This inboard idea must be the way I'm supposed to go. It is stuck in my mind. Played phone tag all day with my friend with EZ-GO, forgot he is busy getting carts ready for Santa. :D

Here is my new brain strom. Build a forward half of a pontoon and position it midship, centered under the deck between the main pontoons. Install drive system in this half pontoon. Batteries and controller would still be concealed on deck. This would shorten my drive shaft and reduce my angle. If I'm thinking crazy somebody please let me know. Then I'll know I'm on the right path. :lol:
"Image"

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:30 am

How about something like a torqeedo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utXxauZOso

----

Religion
We don't know what happened at the start of the universe. We don't know why.
There must be a God.
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 am

This would shorten my drive shaft and reduce my angle
Now you are on the right track. Your boat will plane out flatter and you will increase your speed and quite possibly to an unsafe handling angle. You may need to install skid fins which are avaliable from Glen L too. :lol: :lol: You may need a roll cage too around the seating area. :P :lol:

Oh,,,,ahh, wait a minute, you already have fins for both left and right turns . 8)

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:37 am

Careful Mike......!!!!!! :lol: :wink: :shock:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:01 am

upspirate wrote:Careful Mike......!!!!!! :lol: :wink: :shock:
I know, but tis be the season of fun for sure and hopes that all matters are recieved in which the context of the posts are considered. We must not take ourselves too seriously. Its all about context, especially when the building of a pontoon hull for a pond is taking place and the originator of the thread has been a good sport too. Afterall he posts pictures of his boat with the propeller backwards and headed that way when in the context of cruising in his electric launch. :lol:
Maybe I need a break. Later

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:49 am

Rational Root,
Thanks for the link. I have already used a trolling motor in a build. Looking to step it up a notch on this one. That motor would be perfect for an inflatable. You could put the boat and motor in the trunk of a car.

Upspirate

Don't worry about me, I am a good sport and best of all, I can hold my own. :wink:

Now Oyster,

A roll cage? That would be down right ugly on my nice pontoon. I have a better idea. How about a detachable capsule like they use on race boats. :D

BTW, I hope you own a helmet, because you are now my official test pilot. And remember I want to give Mr. Hot Rod a run for his money. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm

You could always attach rod holders to the roll bar and make it like a radar arch!!!

I think your pod idea would work,but do you want that much draft? How deep is your pond?

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Upspirate and Oyster,

You two can rest easy now. The problem with the wrong direction Tug boat has been corrected. How was the problem solved you ask. Well after hours of careful scientific study and some c&c time a plan was put into action. First, we secured the motor in a stationary position and then we slowly rotated the boat 180 degrees. :lol: Thanks to both of you for your great concern in this matter. I offer the following picture as evidence of our success.
"Image"

Return to “Electric Power”