Tahoe 23 project, Norway

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tahoe 23 project, Norway

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm with TomB.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Yup, I agree with what TomB said too. I'm just really reluctant to say plywood is suitable to substitute where solid wood is called out for a structural member. At least not without a design analysis showing the plywood is acceptable :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:56 am

I don't agree that plywood is weaker. Look at the wooded I beams being used for construction now. They have less spring than dimensional lumber and can span longer distances without deflection. The grain running in different directions helps, not hurts.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am

Toivo,

With respect to the motor stringers, we have been writing about strength and economy. Durability/abuse and rot is another important consideration.

Mark Bonkalla built and documented his mahogany runabout build about 15 years ago. He used redwood stringers and uses his boat for waterskiing. Anchors, water skis, other toys bounce off the stringers and dent the encapsulated wood. The epoxy flaked off and water infiltration became an issue. Quoting Mark, “The redwood simply coated with epoxy looked terrible after only one season.” He added a layer of fiberglass to protect the stringers from abuse.

The spruce/plywood idea might need some added protection.

Tom

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 am

I don't agree that plywood is weaker. Look at the wooded I beams being used for construction now. They have less spring than dimensional lumber and can span longer distances without deflection. The grain running in different directions helps, not hurts.

Ah, well, not exactly, wood I-beams are highly engineered products. The top and bottom flanges are made up of a glue lamination of long oriented plies all running with the length. The web is "beaver barf" also oriented with the length. As the beam is loaded and bends, the flange plies go into tension/compression using long wood strands to provide resistance to deflection. The web to a lesser extent is in both tension and compression serves the primary function of keep the flanges apart. So all three components work to provide stiffness in one direction. Flip it the side and the I-beam becomes a fragile noodle since non of the wood fiber is oriented in that direction.

I wouldn't be afraid of using plywood in the stringers as long as the wood strands oriented in the weak direction are discounted.

Tom

Toivo

Postby Toivo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:34 pm

TomB wrote:Toivo,

With respect to the motor stringers, we have been writing about strength and economy. Durability/abuse and rot is another important consideration.

Mark Bonkalla built and documented his mahogany runabout build about 15 years ago. He used redwood stringers and uses his boat for waterskiing. Anchors, water skis, other toys bounce off the stringers and dent the encapsulated wood. The epoxy flaked off and water infiltration became an issue. Quoting Mark, “The redwood simply coated with epoxy looked terrible after only one season.” He added a layer of fiberglass to protect the stringers from abuse.

The spruce/plywood idea might need some added protection.

Tom

Good point Tom. But how did he manage to dent the stringers in the first place? He didn't cover them with the floor?

Btw i checked with the guy that built the baby bootlegger. He used two 38mm plywood laminated together for stringers. That motor produces 2000Nm

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

But how did he manage to dent the stringers in the first place? He didn't cover them with the floor?

Good questions.

Kids, water skis, anchors, fish guts, dropped tools :arrow: dents. With a little luck, a good boat gets used. :D :D :D :D

I don't think he documented the floor. His website http://www.bronkalla.com/index_boat.html for his Riviera is still up and goes through his build step-by-step.

Toivo

Postby Toivo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 am

TomB wrote:
But how did he manage to dent the stringers in the first place? He didn't cover them with the floor?

Good questions.

Kids, water skis, anchors, fish guts, dropped tools :arrow: dents. With a little luck, a good boat gets used. :D :D :D :D

I don't think he documented the floor. His website http://www.bronkalla.com/index_boat.html for his Riviera is still up and goes through his build step-by-step.

I have other boats for that kind of use ;) My Tahoe is gonna be for cruising, and boat gatherings :)

Return to “Hankinson designs”