Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Postby TomB » Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am

After a number of months dealing with other things, I’m back building again. The transom sub-assembly weighed in at about 60 lbs of clumsy bulk. It was jacked into place and glued and screwed to the keel, motor stringers, and chines. I managed to get it correct for and aft but put in a little twist from side to side, about 1/8”.

Faring out the twist was a pain in the transom! Among other things, the transom corners that I spent so much time carving to meet side and transom planking no longer fit and I no longer trusted the side faring as it approached the transom so I blocked in the corners and re-fared the transom and sides.

Transom profile 180521.jpg

Two layers of planing are now on the sides and transom. The curve of the transom from vertical toward the deck is really tight and was hard to bend with 4 mm ply.

scallop 180521.jpg

The plan is to rabbet the transom to side corners after the third layer of planking goes on the bottom and then carve and install corners boards so the ends of the final layer of transom and side planking will be covered. (similar to other Tahoes)

Tom
Last edited by TomB on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am

The plans call for three layers on the bottom and two layers on the sides (plus a finish layer).

Three layers meeting two layers at the chines works fine. But the plan is for the chine to fade out as it approaches the stem creating an issue (4 mm step) where three layers meet two layers.

Planking starboard stem 180521.jpg

I decided to fare the first layer of bottom planking to eliminate the 4 mm step at the stem. A pro probably would have rabbeted the stem and chine log to keep a full third layer. (I don’t have the skill or energy for such things.)

Planking port stem 180521.jpg

The first layer of side planking will ride over the first layer of bottom planking and become the second layer of bottom planking.
Planking port stem 2 100521.jpg

Tom

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:52 pm

The first layer of side planking runs over the first layer of bottom planking and begins the second layer of bottom planking at the stem. The second layer of side planking is complete and begins the third layer of bottom planking.

This photo shows all three layers. Layer one bottom planking is light colored area in the upper right corner. Layer two bottom planking (bottom end of layer one side planking) is along the stem at the top. Layer two side planking is the bottom area, and there is one small plank that is the beginning of the bottom third layer.

Tom
Attachments
Starboard stem 1_2_and 3 layers.jpg

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

I’m a little further along on the port side, two layers complete with the first of the 3rd layer on the bottom planking.
Port stem starting 3rd layer.jpg

The red circle is about where the chine will vanish as it approaches the stem.
Port Stem Vanishing Point.jpg

Tom

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:20 pm

I had to do a double take on the transom photo. I had forgotten about this part of your build . I still feel this is going to be a real stunner when finished. Don't worry abut the fit problems, I am sure you'll figure out solutions. I don't think there is a boat made that doesn't have something not quite right on it.

Looking forward to seeing your boat after you get the hull finished and flipped over. Nice work Tom.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Carl, thanks for the encouragement. I finished the second planking layer today and started the third layer on the bottom. With two layers on the entire hull, I think it would actually float! I'm anxious to start on something that will show.

Tom

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm

TomB wrote:Carl, thanks for the encouragement. I finished the second planking layer today and started the third layer on the bottom. With two layers on the entire hull, I think it would actually float! I'm anxious to start on something that will show.

Tom

I know the feeling. I feel like I've been making parts forever. Eventually I'll have enough parts to actually assemble the interior! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:45 pm

I have been sanding for flatness in preparation for the next planking layer, belt sander and then an air file. It works ok until it doesn't. My air compressor says intermittent air file work is ok. Now that I understand how much is too much for intermittent I can go ahead and replace the smoked the motor starter capacitor.

Tom

TomB

Postby TomB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Planking continues. The last of the plywood layers went on yesterday. Today I tuned up the chines and keel/stem. After working on it for months it feels like a major milestone. The surfaces are almost fare. Another day will be spent going over the hull with most attention on the bow and the chines at the stem.

180624 bow.jpg

180624 port side ready for planking.jpg

A layer of plywood has also been added to the step in the transom. The step is about 5 inches above the waterline. The plan is to plank from bottom to step as part of hull planking. The step, scallop, and remainder of the transom will be planked with the deck.

180624 transom step.jpg

A waterline has been drawn and I’m starting to line out the final layer of spiled planking. The instructions suggest 1 1/2” to 3” planks. I’m thinking I would like something a little wider. I will draw planking lines on the hull to see what looks good. I am anxious to get started on something that will show. Spiled planking will be the next step.

Tom

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:42 am

She looks great Tom. I think the transom step you created is the nicest modification to Glen-L plans I have seen. I hope to see your Tahoe close up some day..... You are a true craftsman.... Neel

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 am

:D Looks great to me!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:31 am

If I build another boat, I'm going to steal that transom idea! 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I agree with the others, that tail end is going to get a lot of attention. Really nice work Tom.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Neel, Bill, Jim, and Carl, Thanks for the kind words.

I hope to see your Tahoe close up some day.....
me too...me too...

Today I gave the hull a full rub down. According to the front of the air compressor, it is ok to use an air file for intermittent use. Well...I still don't know how much use is "intermittent". The compressor cycled a couple of times before it stopped, again. :oops: :oops: :oops: The good news, I bought a spare capacitor and can repair again.

I made a long sanding board and finished sanding by hand. After five hours of hand sanding with a long board and 15 minutes of pushing around an air file, I prefer the air sanding...if I can keep it running.

Maybe I can line off the hull tomorrow and then get after the rabbets on the transom corners.

Tom

Mike_P

Postby Mike_P » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Here's an electric alternative. a little pricey though...

https://www.vektools.com.au/rupes-elect ... ander.html

Return to “Hankinson designs”