Tahoe 23 or ?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Tahti

Tahoe 23 or ?

Post by Tahti » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello to everyone here. I will be ordering my Tahoe 23 plans very soon but have a few questions:

1. Can I stretch this design to 25'? I live on the west coast of Florida, the ocean is pretty damn calm but one of the great things of the area (St. Petersburg) is you can spend the entire day just tooling around the gulf, stopping for a swim or lunch or whatever. We've been on boats between 19' and 28' and damn it is nice to not get cramped on a full day.

2. What are your thoughts on the Mercruiser 357 as a plant? Any suggestions here and for a transmission are appreciated.

3. Any suggested links for interior and upholstery ideas? I would like to push it a bit more modern, clean and functional, comfortable.

I've been a pretty avid reader here since I signed up and I am impressed by so many of your efforts, thanks for any help and I hope to get to know many of you.

T

TomB

Re: Tahoe 23 or ?

Post by TomB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 am

Tahti wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm
Hello to everyone here. I will be ordering my Tahoe 23 plans very soon but have a few questions:

1. Can I stretch this design to 25'?

3. Any suggested links for interior and upholstery ideas? I would like to push it a bit more modern, clean and functional, comfortable.
Great design choice.

From the instructions "Changing Boat Length: ...For a boat 15" longer, add 2" to the ...spacing between the transom and Frame #7, and 1" to the space between Frame #7 and #8." ...an increase from 22'9" to 24'0", not sure about adding another inch between each frame.

Following the traditional cockpit arrangement, the spacing would add 2" for the fuel tank, 4" for the motor which might translate into 2" leg room for the rear cockpit and 1"-2" up front, and 9" for the front cockpit. As an alternative, consider the stretch and going open utility, similar to this drawing from VanDam Custom Boats.
van dam boat drawings.jpg
I'm anxious to see what you come up with.

Tom

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks Tom! Thats helps a ton, the Van Dam type layout is very intriguing, I will check it out.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 am

Tahti

The big Tahoe is a great boat. Hankinson's design is plenty strong to be built as utility. If you go with the original design, I'd make the cockpits as wide as you can. You can frame the engine compartment to squeeze the compartment and add the length to the cockpits. Make the engine hatch as big as you think you can get away with.

That engine should get you near 50 MPH. To talk about the prop and gear ratios we'll need the engine HP, RPM range and estimated running weight. Will also need the recommended prop diameter. But, that is down the river.

PM Butch Barto. He has run, repaired, and loves his big Tahoe. Butch will be glad to talk with you.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 am

Here's a couple of pictures you might consider for upholstery design. Riva Boats interiors have a modern design on classic looking boats. Most of what I have seen are turquoise and white interiors. Kind of a Mimi Vice theme.
Pics below:
Jim
Attachments
20181006_091031.jpg
20181006_130159.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Here's a couple of more pics showing a bit more detail. Notice the sundeck over the engine compartment rather than the normal wooden hatch you might see.
Jim
Attachments
download1.jpg
download1.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Jim Neeley

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks Bill and Jimbob.

I am glad to hear the design is stout and maximizing the interior space is viable. I will definitely reach out to Butch about powering, etc. as this process goes forward. I'm am trying to put a rough budget together and get myself mentally prepared for being about 20% short when it is all said and done. :shock: I guess I'll plug some rough ideas into CAD after I get the plans.

Jimbob, I guess we share a love of Riva's, it's a bit hard not to in my opinion. My original upholstery idea is very similar to that "miami vice" pic, I hope I find a local upholsterer that will be excited for the project and get what I see in my head.

I'm going to try and put some numbers on the metal bits and instruments and stereo over the weekend. I have received good numbers on the mahogany, plywood, epoxy, etc. So far so good. Thanks again.

T

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 am

T

PM me your E-mail address and I'll send you My cost spreadsheet for little Tahoe. It will at least give you an idea and a list to adjust.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am

If you are checking out instruments, you might want to check out classic instruments from the link below. They have gps speedometers and hour meters in place of an odometer in their marine speedometers. When you get to their website, click on our products, and then universal fit guage sets, and you will see lots of guage options.

https://www.classicinstruments.com/

Jim
Jim Neeley

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:24 am

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate it.

T

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello and Happy Holidays!!!

I'm wrapping up my last few days of work for 2018, and thinking a great deal about my future boat build. An amazing thing happened last night while I was talking with friends over a bottle of vino, my friend Wayne asked me, "what was the first really cool boat you ever saw in person?" It's a really good question IMO because pics are great but the real thing moves our souls. Shape and scale is so distorted photographically. I told him it was a Gar Wood and I saw it in my mid 20's in Stillwater Minnesota. Later in the evening I was remembering the boat and the experience, seeing this long, thin stiletto of a machine and I left building the Tahoe idea behind. I'll be building a 28' Miss Chris. I feel the Tahoe and the boats of that style and era are fantastic and I will always love them but for my first build I will build something similar to my first inspiration. I will also draw heavily from the Van Dam creation "Ghost". As always thank you all for being here, I hope you enjoy a beautiful holiday season and I wish you my best.

T

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:15 pm

T

When you decide to go for one of the "bigger" boat, go for it. We're all still here. Build what YOU want.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 am

Build what moves your soul and post pictures so the rest of us can ride along. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Definitely because I haven't seen this boat built yet. These boats take a good amount of effort and there's s real risk that once you finish one , you may never build another (although there are certainly exceptions - Bill, Neel, Roberta, Matt, and others!!). Build what you want . It may be harder initially, but by the time it really matters how skillful you are, you will have the skills.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Bill, thanks again for the spreadsheet, it has been invaluable. I've been pretty giggly since making this decision. It is a different style boat but for some reason right now it really resonates with me.

Tom, I will be good about pics and will probably be too "post happy" at times.

mrintense, you came by the moniker naturally I see. :wink: I'm no frail flower to effort or difficulty or persistence, I can assure you. I spent nearly 3 decades in the film business, I started out in FX and became an art director and production designer. After a narrow escape which took about 3 years I've been a professional woodworker. I currently have a small, well appointed, 2000 square foot shop after moving to Florida. I also have access to additional space for storage. I still build a good bit of furniture and some cabinetry. I'm developing a line of wooden spearguns and I also build guitars. I look forward to building this boat and I respect the effort it takes because the same sort of effort has been a pretty big part of my life. I will peruse your attached site soon.

All in all I have one more project to wrap up next week and then a couple of spec guitars and rearranging my shop for this build. The Miss Chris plans will represent my xmas present for 2018.

Thank you all.

Return to “Hankinson designs”