Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Tony,

I asked my purchasing assistant, Ms Google, to find everyone interested in selling me a Moeller fuel tank. Great Lakes Skipper, a production boat repair parts supplier that also sells production overruns, was one of the hits with a number of oddly shaped tanks not in the catalog. The sender and fuel supply barb show some corrosion like the tank has been in the warehouse for a long time. I just checked, they don't show the tank any longer. Great Lakes Skipper sells through several channels, here is their listing from www.ebay.com/itm/Moeller-Marine-FT3317- ... _cvip=true. I'm not sure that is much help but that's how I found it.

I will be doing some shaping of the stringers and tank support to match the bottom slopes on the tank.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:24 pm

I added a third wrap of flax packing on the rudder shaft - three is better than two, right? Hope so. I suspect getting it out is harder than getting it in. The hydraulic cylinder is mounted too.
IMG_0346.jpg
Also getting the fuel tank sorted out. It is about 3" aft of the design location with a plywood support. A tight turn on the fill hose fits. No idea where the fill will be...back there somewhere. Maybe I should rotate the tank 180.
IMG_0341.jpg
Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Just a thought. Maybe you could get to the rudder without removing the tank if you rotated it 180 degrees.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:03 am

Tom

The rudder packing gets very little wear because the shaft rotates so little. I've never changed mine in over ten years.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 am

Jimbob wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:25 pm
Just a thought. Maybe you could get to the rudder without removing the tank if you rotated it 180 degrees.
Jim
There's no hope in getting to the rudder without removing the tank. There will be a deck above the fuel tank and I won't even be able to see the steer parts. Heck, even if I could see it I still couldn't reach it. I can hardly fold enough to reach it without the tank in the way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Bill point out, there isn't much there that should need maintenance. A leaking or too tight stuffing box and leaking hose fittings are worrisome until they aren't. :?

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

The engine has arrived!!!

Stretch wrapped all the way from South Carolina.
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg
Eight lag bolts, three used, five for looks. :shock: :shock:
IMG_0355.jpg
Should be easy to disconnect the pallet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Tom
What sized ID are you using for your exhaust. 4" or are you reducing it and if so to what diameter?
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Very nice!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am

Thanks Matt. I'm looking forward to getting it in the boat.

Tony, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't looking into the exhaust much. I have 3 1/2" dia. coming off the engine. The transom has been modified so I can exit that way and I like the flush style exhaust tips. I also like the side exhausts tips used on many Tahoes. A quick look this mornings and I see 4" tips. The Crusader (manufactured by Pleasurecraft Engine Group) Product Installation Manual calls for 4" minimum. There will probably be a muffler(s) too. I assumed in-line, but I also see a ski boat setup with two 3 1/2" fittings to the engine, a large dia tube athwartship, and two 4" discharge fittings, like this www.greatlakesskipper.com/ski-centurion ... r-silencer

I would welcome advice/experience with boat mufflers.

Tom

Liberty

Post by Liberty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:46 am

Good Morning! New to the forum. I am building the Belle Isle. Can anyone help me find reference material for spiling the mahogany side and bottom planking? I am fast approaching this step. The router method has been tossed around but I am have never seen it done.

Thanks for the help!

Doug

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am

I haven't found good photos or videos of the process in action, but Don Danenberg has a description on his website: http://www.danenbergboatworks.com/Planking.htm about half way down the page. He uses a custom base/fence on a laminate trimmer with a spiral straight cutting bit.

It's a way of getting smooth tight fits between plank edges and works well for both antiques boats with thicker planks and for veneered boats with their 1/8" or so thickness planks. The only tricky part of the process is near the ends of the boat where the planks meet the bow stem on planked boats (veneered boats are less complex). Several builders here have used the process and will chime in and show you I am sure.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Doug: If you go to my posts in the power boat section "Modified Malahini" Starting on page 4 I describe what I did to spile the sides.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum Doug. I have seen the results, but not the process of the router spiling on planked boats.

I started spiling when I started diagonal planking. I wanted tight joints for all the layers, more for practice than necessity. I used a block plane and I like the control it gives me. Picking through my posts from about page 3 you can see the method I used. I would use that method again. Sharpening plane irons may scare some people off. I stick strips of sand paper to a flat surface (1"thick glass or marble) in progressive grits, several licks from 80 - 2000 using the sandpaper like grinding stones and I have an extremely sharp plane iron with a mirror finish. Cheap and fast.

Tom

Liberty

Post by Liberty » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 am

thank you! I will look up that post and set up a sanding station for my planes.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 pm

I decided to go all wood for the motor beds.
IMG_0363.jpg
The prop shaft arrived yesterday. I did a test fit and then installed the shaft log, shaft, and engine. I lost count on how many times the motor was been in and out. :lol: :lol:
IMG_0364.jpg
I still need to align the motor and shaft.
IMG_0366.jpg
Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”