Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Aligning the motor and shaft is not hard, just tedious. As I remember it is one millimeter per inch of coupling diameter.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Bill,

I was running a low on patience...I'm expecting more tomorrow. .003" feeler gauge is ready for action.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed May 01, 2019 5:54 am

It takes a while. Each time you change one mount they all have to be tweaked.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Managed to get the prop shaft and motor together. I don't remember ever tightening bolts were they didn't draw things together, less than 0.003" gap between couplings isn't very much.

Took a break from the mechanical stuff to do a little wood working. The transom is taking shape.
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
The guard wraps around about the last 7' of the boat. It will be 2-3" wide and 3/4" thick across the transom, flush with the step and cover the seam between the finished and yet to be finished.

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm

That is looking so cool
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Oh my my, does that transom ever look beautiful. It's a great way to incorporate a swim platform (if that was the intent) into the design. Really impressive Tom.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am

That is so beautiful, Tom. You've inspired me with ideas and so now I want to dedicate some time to learning how to use CAD. Do you have a suggestion on which program I should start out with?

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 am

BayouBengal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am
That is so beautiful, Tom. You've inspired me with ideas and so now I want to dedicate some time to learning how to use CAD. Do you have a suggestion on which program I should start out with?
Delft ship is free, but in my daily use I use Rhino3D. I believe (At least they used to) they have a trial version that allowed you a set amount of saves on the trial license.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 am

Tom- that transom design really looks stunning! Im sure there will be others that follow.
I noticed on your deck mockup that your flag and light are right at the point where people reach to get aboard. Maybe your lifing eye could be swapped positions?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue May 14, 2019 11:17 am

Tom, you really have gone the extra mile with this design. Truely amazing. You should be proud of your efforts.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue May 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks Jim & Carl,

The step is a mini swim platform. After the boat is on the trailer and the trailer is in the garage, I will know how many inches are available for a real swim platform. (Right now, I'm not confident the trailer will fit with the door closed.) The platform would go into the step space, not be as wide as the transom and maybe only stick out a foot or so. I've been kicking around the idea of using a hinge setup so the platform could tip so the cantilever part would lay against the transom and the step part would stick up. The step edge might be held down by something like a funny car hood latch. It's a long way off but I would welcome hardware suggestions.
BayouBengal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. As far as CAD goes, I never touch the stuff! My experience is with architectural design software and I don't see much value in it for boat design. I use a pencil sketch, drafting table, cardboard and tape. NAMEngJS knows a lot more about CAD than I do. There was also a recent discussion on the 25' Skiff Build thread between Yofish and Kevin Morin.

Thanks Tony. I am happy with the way it is coming together, not perfect, but good enough for who it's for.

You have a sharp eye Billy! I was studying the way the covering board meets the transom and then drifted into a deck mockup. It seems like I can't make the first decision until I've considered the last decision. In this case, the fuel tank and lifting eye would like to be in the same space. The fuel tank is 7 gallons smaller than the design tank, taking some weight off the stern, so I'm moving the tank 6" aft to compensate for most of the weight allowing me to put the lifting eye in front of the tank and behind the seat.
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg
Your point about the flag/light is well made..."last I saw of her was when she lost her balance and went over the transom with a death grip on the broken stern light". :D I'll probably organize the deck fill, lifting eye and stern light running athwart ship.

Tom

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed May 15, 2019 3:19 am

Tom.… That transom modification is amazing. You are a true craftsman. I have a feeling others will be getting in touch with you for drawings and details. Very nice workmanship... Neel

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks Neel.

Today I started wrenching on the raw water system. Seemed straight forward enough, except...

The plan is to top the water pickup with a seacock and a tee. One side of the tee gets a boiler valve and hose coupling so I can flush the system with a hose. The other side of the tee gets a hose barb and hose to the raw water strainer. All that mess is to be under the rear seat. The idea is lift the rear seat and clean the stainer or shut the seacock or hook up a hose and flush.

I have a plastic raw water strainer and began plumbing bits of hose and fittings to it...dropped it...broke the cover :x :oops: :oops:

So I go off searching for a new cover and learn that the manufacturer recommends putting the bottom of the strainer 6" above the water line and KH recommends putting the corresponding area of the seat 6 1/2" above the waterline so the strainer would be above the seat!

The front edge of the seat is called out as 8" above the floor, pitches down to about 6 1/2" at the back edge and leaves about 14" for a seat back. Have I got that right, it seems low, like sitting on the floor?

The raw water strainer 6" above the waterline, does that seem reasonable? Do I need to put the stainer someplace else?

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm

My strainer is below the WL. Right or Wrong.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu May 16, 2019 4:07 am

Cool transom you’ve got there!
I’m installing the raw water pickup (Barrelback) right now too. I like your plan of a T handle for garden hose hookup. An added bonus of a 2 way set up like that is it’s a giant bilge pump too. Amazing how fast the engine at 3000 rpm will suck water and spit it out the exhaust.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”