Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

BayouBengal

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 am

Tom, the boat is looking fantastic and I really enjoy seeing all of your aesthetically pleasing and intelligent design features.

I'd thought about a glove box also, but realizing that I had plenty of places to put items that needed to be protected or concealed, for the dash, I chose to go simply with an open slot on the dashboard instead for the convenience not having to open and close a door.

Just a thought, but I must say that you're much better than I at coming up with tasteful and convenient design features.

Admiral's Station 01.jpg
Last edited by BayouBengal on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Its good that I hadn't seen your approach to the dash. I might never get it done. Such cool details, curly maple, the shape of the companionway sides, the side pad detail with the blade of wood, and the narrow padded shelf. I love it.

I have a USB and input jack for the radio. I want to hide it. I was thinking of putting it in the glove box with the flares. Then the cell phone could be in there too out of the weather. ...weather? I'm not taking this boat out in bad weather, its not for fishing, so an open compartment would work. I might put compartments on the sides above the cup holders like some of the old woodies. Then I would have room for a big old beefy two hand grab rail for the passenger. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm

The foredeck cover boards have been epoxied and screwed in place.
IMG_0425.jpg
I'm happy with the "S" scarf joints, easy to cut and they tighten up as they're screwed down.
IMG_0426.jpg
Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Tom--beautiful work and I really like the dash/cowl features. Very stylish!

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Also have the dash temporarily mounted, probably no glove box. I couldn't resist filling holes with gauges and steering. I wonder how many hours I've wasted putting stuff in just to see it. :lol: :lol:
IMG_0423.jpg
I've also started mocking up the seats. The boxes represent the cushions. The bolster (big cube under the steering wheel) will hinge up for standing.
IMG_0424.jpg
I think the back cushion is too tall and I should probably lower the seat pan an inch or two. The plan is to make a hockey stick shape connecting seat back and pan with a smaller box underneath so the seat support box is away from the aisle.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks Gayle. I hope Ken wouldn't be offended, its a beautiful design without my embellishments. Tom

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 pm

I struggled with the seats, also, as I think many other boatbuilders do, too. Going with a pedestal that adjusts up/down and forward/back takes a lot of the anxiety of worrying about getting it perfect. You could box in most of the pedestal if you don't want it to show.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 am

Very nice Tom. I have been planning on having my front seat tilt up for standing as well, but have been struggling with how best to do that. What are your plans. I was thinking of using some pillow block bushings and stainless rod. Something like these https://www.graphalloy.com/html/pillow_block_.html. Also how are you going to get the cover boards to follow the contours of the eyebrow?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:03 am

I've gone back and forth on an adjustable front seat. I like the idea but I don't know if I can afford the couple of inches it would take fore and aft. I added 12" to the foredeck and now I'm paying the price.

The seat bolster hinges comes from Tecla, www.greatlakesskipper.com/tecla-boat-fo ... e-set-of-2 I'll hide most of it behind mahogany. There's a little curl of black plastic that acts as a detent to hold the bolster in the up position, I like it.

Decking layout starts today. It will be spiled and without caulk seams or transverse cover boards. The cockpit edge of support/sub-deck/deck end grain is a challenge. A board there, following the deck camber and the curve and twist of the cowls with miter joints, is well beyond my skill. Some of the Riva's had a narrow ribbon of crash pad between the dash and the deck and that's how I will treat it. Crash pad, maybe aqua, will cover the carlings and roll just onto the cover boards and a 1" tall crash pad will cover the cowl/deck edge. The back seat will cover the rear deck edge. The seats will be white if the crash pads are aqua or all the upholstery will be a caramel color. Without the deck seams, the boat is brown, a 23' Baby Ruth Bar (A Caddyshack reference :mrgreen: ) and maybe it needs a little pop of color...

Tom

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 am

I like the seat brackets. Much better than my idea. The decking sounds very complicated. It will be interesting to see how you do this. Please try to post detailed photos. I know I always plan on taking lots of photos to post, but always get too caught up in the project to remember.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm

The next step is putting in the king plank.
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg
I used a laser to check alignment.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm

Then I glued the king planks and the last of the cover boards. Now just have to fill in four little areas with decking.
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg
Tom

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Absolutely beautiful work! I agree with Gayle i really like the dash/cowl feature!

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 am

8) 8) 8) 8)

Simply beautiful!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am

Tom,
It's really looking great. I like all of your custom modifications, especially the stern treatment.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “Hankinson designs”