DONOR BOAT/ GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Shawn K

DONOR BOAT/ GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

Post by Shawn K » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 am

So as I get farther along in my barrelback build, im starting to think about the driveline, steering and trailer etc. so it seems to me that an older inboard ski boat such as a ski nautique or supra would be a great donor. Couldn't a lot of the parts be reused in the barrelback build? Am I correct in thinking this? Is the driveline a good candidate for the swap? I am very familiar with these boats having grown up in them and a friend owned the local Supra dealership.They all seem to have a small block ford V8 in them and would run out about 45 to 48 mph tops, and had an amazing amount of torque. Im thinking that I could re use things like the rudder, rudder shaft, prop and prop shaft and maybe even the steering components and the trailer with some changes. would this be a good platform to use? What will work and what won't? I guess my biggest concern is the motor and what to expect out of it when it comes to performance. whats the best configuration for this hull design? A V8 or a V6 and what drive to use. im not looking to build a race boat but I would like the boat to have some performance aspects to it. if possible id like it to run out about 50 mph tops but im not sure if this boats hull is structured to accomplish this. I have an opportunity right now to purchashase a mid 80's correct craft with less then 600 hrs. on it and a newer trailer. boats been maintained well and runs excellent, seems to be very healthy for $2500. So any input form you guys that understand this stuff, I would greatly appreciate. thanks

DrBryanJ

Re: DONOR BOAT/ GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:15 am

Matt in Texas (Hercdrvr) used a donor boat for his barrelback. With the right boat, it is a good idea.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 pm

I think a donor boat is a great idea. I wish I had done that on my Barrelback. Start adding the items individually, and you can see that it is lot cheaper with a donor boat. Also you will be able to see how things go together.
Here are come cost estimates:
New trailer $5,000, New v6 motor and trans $13,000. Mufflers $400, Gas tank $400, Prop shaft, strut, prop, $900, Rudder & bearing $400. misc fittings $600, and those are just the major items. The $2,500 you mention for the donor boat sounds like a real bargain.
Also, the hull design for the barrelback will limit the boat to around 40mph. Anything over that becomes dangerous.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:09 pm

Donor has been a great choice for me. Mine was a 1992 Supra with a PCM 351 and an 8 degree down angle transmission. Engine had 365 hours. The only parts I didn’t use were the strut ( wrong angle) and the packing nut on the drive shaft.
The debate over V6 vs V8 in a Barrelback comes down to 4” of extra space with a V6 and that’s about it.
I found a donor boat with plenty of dash electrical problems, exhaust leaks (not risers but leaks farther aft) and bad upholstery. All of this drove the price way down for me. The only thing I did to the engine was buy a rebuilt marine carburetor for $550.
The trailer is a good fit, all it needs is the bunks cut off and re-welded for the narrower Barrelback.
I can’t image buying all the parts individually, yikes $$$!
Matt B
Attachments
7EE6A7C8-0DE9-4BE1-B6BA-CC864DCF1A90.jpeg
4649A2BF-5C2F-4B69-9A02-D00681B97BDF.jpeg
FC3E894E-AA45-4E41-ACF5-A4E4D3DA5188.jpeg

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 pm

I agree. I definitely am considering the donor route. About once per week I check out Craigslist for potential candidates. Even looking at the pieces that you can use, the individual component price will be much higher. Even if it's just engine/transmission, steering, and prop, shaft and rudder. Trailer is a bonus, and then every additional piece also helps. Once my framing is completed and I know my measurements a little closer to "actual", I may be in a position to pull the trigger. That being said, I'm planning on keeping the "visible" elements of my boat my own, but from the mechanical standpoint, go for the savings.
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

monitor

Post by monitor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Shawn K wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 am
So as I get farther along in my barrelback build, im starting to think about the driveline, steering and trailer etc. so it seems to me that an older inboard ski boat such as a ski nautique or supra would be a great donor. Couldn't a lot of the parts be reused in the barrelback build? Am I correct in thinking this? Is the driveline a good candidate for the swap? I am very familiar with these boats having grown up in them and a friend owned the local Supra dealership.They all seem to have a small block ford V8 in them and would run out about 45 to 48 mph tops, and had an amazing amount of torque. Im thinking that I could re use things like the rudder, rudder shaft, prop and prop shaft and maybe even the steering components and the trailer with some changes. would this be a good platform to use? What will work and what won't? I guess my biggest concern is the motor and what to expect out of it when it comes to performance. whats the best configuration for this hull design? A V8 or a V6 and what drive to use. im not looking to build a race boat but I would like the boat to have some performance aspects to it. if possible id like it to run out about 50 mph tops but im not sure if this boats hull is structured to accomplish this. I have an opportunity right now to purchashase a mid 80's correct craft with less then 600 hrs. on it and a newer trailer. boats been maintained well and runs excellent, seems to be very healthy for $2500. So any input form you guys that understand this stuff, I would greatly appreciate. thanks
Hi Shawn. I have not finished my BB, so there is much to learn yet, but I can give you some figures as I have seen it so far.
A friend here in Ky. built his 20' BB for about 15k a couple of years ago. He purchased a doner boat and is very good at scrounging parts. He also keeps very good receipts.
I purchased a low time 1987 Mastercraft for $2500 with trailer. I recommend replacing the accessories if it is an older boat. Mine ran great but after pulling the accessories, they looked pretty worn. Looks like $600 will replace most everything.
As I have learned on this forum, try to get a tranny that is 1:1 gear ratio.
So far, it looks like I will be able to use the prop shaft, strut, and rudder also.
The rudder may be questionable, however, most of the ski boats that I have seen do not use a upper support on the rudder shaft. The shaft is short and would need to be coupled to a extension if you install it per the plans.
The used fuel tank may work in the BB, and the fiberglass exhaust tubes may work. The trailer, with some work, will also be good.
I would have been happy with a v6 but not many inboards around here have them. Mine is a Ford 351w. Fits fine on paper. Have not flipped yet and actually installed it.
Jim Kinsella

Return to “Hankinson designs”