Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mrintense

Re: Tahoe 23

Post by mrintense »

Another beautiful woodie getting ready for its day in the sun. Nice work Tony.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Thanks Steve, Jamie and Carl. It's getting closer. I hope to have the boat basicly finished by the end of the year except the upholstery and trailer.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Finished installing the coverboards and wider centre board. As far as the colour scheme for the deck I was going to use unstained sapele for the in-fill planking and ebony stain the coverboards and centre board, but have decided to go with a blonde infill and unstained sapele for the coverboard etc. Same as the hull. I guess my main consideration was our climate. As it is often between 90 and 110F during summer I felt the darker colours would absorb too much heat. Yet to shape the coverboards but will do that after I do the rest of the planking when fairing the deck.
Attachments
P1010974.JPG
P1010972.JPG
P1010970.JPG
Tony Hain

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I feel for you Tony on the heat considerations. We have similar climate here in Austin with the sun being brutal in July and August. As much I like the look of wooden decks, I am going with painted decks for my cruiser.

What I am amazed by is the variety of designs all these wooden boats are given. I just love the look of all of them. I look forward to seeing what you have in mind for the infill area. Take your time on this.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Carl,
Its not the heat that does you in, its the humidity. 110 and 95% humidty and you're just a wet rag, but winters are glorious. The in-fill is going to be Hoop pine which when coated will have a honey blonde colour. Having it milled now so a week or two should see the deck glued down and thinking about caulking.
Tony Hain

Return to “Hankinson designs”