I have started & its sooo much fun:)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

jode

I have started & its sooo much fun:)

Post by jode »

Hi Guys

Well I have finally got started and I am absolutely loving it...

I managed to mark out the patterns on a layout board/table using a nail to punch little holes through the plans - I then used tracing paper to copy the plans onto the boards. Then I used a method i remember using at school where i rubbed the back of the tracing paper so it laid down some of the carbon onto the board below, I have never done anything like this before and have really enjoyed the working out the how to "how to" Know what i mean?

Oh gawd I had some fun trying to make sure the parts are as symmetrical as can be... next time I want a better way than tracing paper - I think... I mean it worked so maybe it's great... I want it perfect - this is a great lesson in acceptance.

I found a really good & thick Bosch jigsaw blade to stay true whilst I jigsawed out all the frame parts - I have cut all parts out and am now in the process of planning them and shaping the side members as pairs to bring that accuracy up as high as i can.

Here's some pics of what I have done so far, be really pleased to hear what you all think. ( I cant add pictures :( ) I seem to be in a loop .... I'll figure it out!!

Can someone help me with a fixings list? I need to buy the fixings kit but wanted some advice ! what do I need exactly? what's the best way to to get it fixed??

Warmest

Jode

ejr

Re: I have started & its sooo much fun:)

Post by ejr »

Welcome to the group and the forum.

What model are you building? Pictures didn't show up.

Reme!ver, there are no stupid questions, and those more experienced than me will guide you along the way. If you don't believe me, just check my build thread. It is full of "stupid" questions with great answers.
Building a 19 foot Barrelback in Oklahoma
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35757

jode

Post by jode »

I am building a barrelback 19
I see you are building the same, can I ask you, what bolts do i need in addition to the fastener kit?
test image below...

ejr

Post by ejr »

Sorry images still do not seem to be working. Are you using the attachment function?

I am not exactly sure what comes in the fastener kit, as I have been buying on a as needed basis. I do not have them in front of me right now, I think the instructions included a fastener schedule.

If I recall correctly, to date, I have purchased:

(1) The three bolts for the Stem to Keel attachment. For this joint, I purchased silicone bronze bolts, washers and nuts. The bolts are more expensive than the stainless or galvanized counter parts, but at the time I was researching fasteners, I found this article on glen-l's website https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/43320/s ... tbuilding/. Since the bolts are encapsulated in epoxy and cannot be replaced without significant destruction of the hull, it seemed reasonable to "get the best" as insurance against a failure of the stem to keel joint.

(2) Bolts for each of the motor stringer to frame block braces. However, I believe there are two bolts per frame/motor stringer junction. I believe this comes to 32+- bolts (four per block, plus transom uprights). The length of these bolts can only be determined after you build the stringer and the frames, as everyone does these parts a little bit differnt. I purchased stainless bolts for this purpose. My thinking being that while these are below the water line, the boat will live much of its life on a trailer and I can inspect and replace these bolts if need.

There are a number of other bolts that will be needed as the build proceeds, for example bolts to hold the motor mounts to the motor stringers or if you want to make fully functioning lifting eyes, bolts to attach the eyes to the frame. Anywhere I can inspect and replace, I will use stainless. If the bolt is not "readily" accessible, I will use silicone bronze.

I know this does not really answer your question, but I hope it helps.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I think you need one more post in order to post photos.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

jode

Post by jode »

Thanks ejr,
That is very helpful...
I sat down last night and scrutinised the plans, had a count up and put an order in with GlenL for the Sillcon Bronze kit and the stem/keel bolts.
I made a call today to a local fasteners supplier to check if they stocked the marine grade stainless steel kit, they do :D
Now I am going to run all my frame parts through my new thickness planer (OMG I LOVE IT :shock: ) and wait patently for the bronze srews and nails to arrive...
Hopefully be able to post some pics V soon.. (thanks JimmY)

jode

Post by jode »

jode

Post by jode »

jode

Post by jode »

Is it okay to post pictures in here like this?
I am having trouble with the recommended photo sharing site... I can't seem to register and or get logged in.
How does everyone else post pics correctly?
Jode
Attachments
IMG_4504.JPEG

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

If you are using the attachment tab below the text box, that is the best way. Photos won't disappear if your hosting sight goes away.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jode

Post by jode »

Awesome thanks - I shall do that then.
I am starting to thin everything down to 22mm now -
Is there a veiw on thinning down the boards before cutting out or thinning when everything's cut? im doing the latter
Attachments
IMG_4518.JPEG

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I would thin everything first. You dont want Snipe on your finished pieces. I used my sapele as it came from my supplier which was slightly over 3/4" .
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

Agree with Jimbob, best to have all of your stock to the right thickness first, so not only to help with the snipe issue from the planer, but also you can see what you have, grain, any splits, knots, etc. This will be really important when you select boards later when they are visible e.g for coverboards. Plus if you run the stock through all at the same time you ensure that it is all the same thickness and if an edge chips out it is not on the finished piece.

Have fun - Bryan

jode

Post by jode »

I am kinda committed now as i have cut all my boards - I agree though - next time I'll thin them all first and then get shaping. I am trying for 22mm all round and seem to be getting between 21.80 & 22.20 with them all - I'm happy with that - fingers crossed no snipe

ejr

Post by ejr »

I looks like you have already cut the frames. How far off are you from the 3/4"?

I used Khaya (African Mahogany) for my frames and battens. If I recall correctly, when I was preparing my frames, I had my lumber yard straight edge one side and skip plane the faces. This left me a bit more than 3/4" of material. I did not plane the frame material any further. I figured the extra material couldn't hurt. But, like you, i got a new thickness planer as I started my build. I ran every batten I cut through just to make sure it worked. :D

Good luck.

Return to “Hankinson designs”