SoCal La Paz Build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

LaPazBuild

Re: SoCal La Paz Build

Post by LaPazBuild »

Flipped! We opted to use a gantry crane borrowed from a brother-in-law to save a buck instead of hiring a crane service to lift it over my house. I researched and found many videos of crews flipping similar sized boats with ease. Wish I could say it went smoothly as it was quite the challenge getting the sheer line to slide along the slings while we were rolling the hull over. In the end, we used a few scrap 2x6's to lift and assist in the process. It took a little longer than expected and a few choice words, but at least its on the trailer now! Moving on with the build!
IMG_2839.jpeg
IMG_2837.jpeg

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Congratulations!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah »

Yes, Congratulations! Looks awesome!

I've been contemplating my flip for some time. At the moment, the Gantry crane process is the favorite.

kens

Post by kens »

Congrats on your flip.
I see you borrowed a gantry,,,how much beer did that cost you ?? :lol:
Y'know, if you gather all the friends & neighbors, and got enough beer, you won't need the gantry !
Nice job.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Thanks all! As it so happens @kens,I work at a brewery so beer isn’t an issue. That being said, I gave him a few cases.

@Yeahyeah- the gantry made for light lifting, ours was 13’tall and I almost feel like we needed more height. Just make sure you have enough lifting strap for the bottom to land on. We had to re-rig ours a few times to get it right.

LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Moving on with the build. We’ve got the carlin in place and we’re trying to make it easier to move around in there without walking on the bottom planking. Thinking about the athwartship cockpit sole support. Any suggestions or info on appropriate dimensions for these supports? We were thinking that 1”x3” set vertically would suffice. Any and all insights/suggestions appreciated!

Return to “Hankinson designs”