SoCal La Paz Build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DrBryanJ

Re: SoCal La Paz Build

Post by DrBryanJ »

I'm ready to start my wiring. I have drawn my own diagram. I am bringing my diagram to the gathering for confirmation, but I think I have it figured out. My questions are mostly on wire size and fuse sizes. This site helped me understand things quite a bit.https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/electricity1.html
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I did my own wiring and it was among the most challenging parts of the build for me. I read a lot, asked a lot of questions, had my mechanic review my rough drawings and got great advice from the folks on the forum. I went with a very simple design--fuse panel and switches--and a minimal amount of electronics. Everything works.

I also bought the electrical plans from Glen-L. They were somewhat helpful for creating my overall plan, but my attempts to contact the Bayside marine folks (as suggested in the plans, for questions) were not met with a response. I moved on and used other resources. The plans did recommend I buy quality crimping and stripping tools. I did that and don't regret the extra expense. I also used top quality (Ancor, Blue Sea systems) wiring, connectors, and components. Gives me peace of mind, but time will tell.
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)

kens

Post by kens »

mickfly wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:22 am

I went with a very simple design--fuse panel and switches--and a minimal amount of electronics. Everything works.

The plans did recommend I buy quality crimping and stripping tools. I did that and don't regret the extra expense. I also used top quality (Ancor, Blue Sea systems) wiring, connectors, and components.
These are very key points. Very key and very valid.
KISS method
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

The high quality crimping tool is important. They will hold the terminal while you insert the wire, and then double crimp. They ain't cheap but they are worth it.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

These are good ones.
Jim
Attachments
20210916_104850.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB »

The blue tool in Jim's post is a wire stripper, maybe not as important as a good crimper, but a photo finish second. Best to have just the right length of bare wire held in a really strong crimp.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Thank you to all for the words of advice. I think we're starting to make sense of it all. What really threw me for a loop was how the alternator sends current back to the batteries. Spoke with a few friends who know more than me and feel much better about it.

As for hanging the outboard...Anybody out there have success doing so with an engine hoist? We have a Honda BF135 sitting in a garage, just waiting to be mounted. We also have vehicle lifts at our disposal as one of our friends owns a car shop. Can't wait to see that thing hanging off the back of this boat!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I used an engine hoist to move my outboard around. It isn't on the boat yet, but I do have it on a stand I made that is similar to the transom. I don't see any problem using one.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Ended up hiring out the motor hanging. Used an engine hoist to get the outboard in the bed of the truck and the pros used a large gantry to hang it for us. Very happy with the end result.

Installed electric trim tabs, hydraulic steering, and began to test electrical systems. Just waiting on a few loose ends to ship to us (throttle/shift cables and VHF) and we're ready to launch!

T-top canvas is just being held with zip ties as of now, please don't judge...
IMG_1338.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'll be having my motor installed by the dealer as well. If it were used, I might consider it myself, but with a new motor, well the warranty overrides any thing I might gain by doing it myself. It will also get me on the water sooner. Dealer install maybe a week including any waiting. Myself, probably 3 months. Plus the hassle factor of not being able to do it in my garage because the length exceeds the depth.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

LaPazBuild

Post by LaPazBuild »

Launch Day!

While I’m not naive to the fact the boat will never be done, it is ready enough for use.

Got the boat wet today and put her through the paces. She popped right up on plane and rides like a dream. Foam filling the voids in the bilge area makes for a smooth and quiet ride.

All went well with the exception of the bait tank plumbing. Needed to tighten down a few hose clamps. Bilge stayed bone dry.

Here are a few pictures. Nice day on the water.
42D51D19-D0E8-4969-8642-A5C6A4ADF393.jpeg
B83DD63D-62A4-4EDA-97E1-FC4CBE9423A2.jpeg
E0040A14-40A7-4A22-932C-2E06A74F3B6A.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Hey, congratulations on the launch! Glad everything went well and you are pleased with its performance. The boat looks great!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

Congrats !!
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Hankinson designs”