Plywood frames?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

cusoak

Re: Plywood frames?

Post by cusoak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 am

They look cool in the mock up on the bench, but not so sure about the look cool on the side of a boat. Such a great looking boat to have what looks like exhaust pipes sticking out the side. I know they are not exhaust pipes but that is what comes to mind first. I know you need air and circulation may there is some way of getting it through the in side of the boat or the engine hatch.
But it is your boat which by the way is great looking. You did a Great job.
Jeff

slug

Post by slug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:42 am

Steve; They are beautifully made. However, I have to say it totally changes the "look" of the boat...puts it in to a different class,....sort of going from a Riva to a Gar Wood.
Not sure how I feel about that as you've done such an incredible job of the "Riva"

Just my 2 cents worth since you asked.

Doug

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks for the props guys (no pun intended lol).
The comments on our engine vents idea are especially appreciated.
The boat came out so good that we're reconsidering, and think it will be better to stick with simple "classic" and go with the traditional chrome plated deck vents rather than do something "controversial" or even problematic. Just can't bring ourselves to cut irreversible holes in those beautiful ribbon formed mahogany bright sides. Thanks Glen-L forum!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am

Steve

My thoughts were about those vents hitting the dock and potential damage. I've had a issue or two with docks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Hatches open;

Hatches closed;

We're ordering chrome plated engine vent scoops for the deck.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Alycat, the pop up cleats were super simple. Just drill two holes, insert, and tighten the nuts with washers underneath. I don't think they're totally frog butt watertight, but we didn't think that was a critical issue. We got ours from Jamestowndistributors.com, but I noticed that Glen-l now also caries them.
FYI, the ones we have online from Marine Hardware also have "drainboots" available:
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Dual-Post-Pu ... fo/05-152/

Just beautiful Steve--she's stunning...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Over time I keep seeing better and better boat work. I'm still proud of my Tahoe. But, Damn you guys are good!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John56

Post by John56 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Over time I keep seeing better and better boat work. I'm still proud of my Tahoe. But, Damn you guys are good!

Bill
Geez, are you kidding? That Tahoe is beautiful!! And I thank you for letting me crawl through it. that was a two year boat building education in 20 minutes!!

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 am

Over time I keep seeing better and better boat work. I'm still proud of my Tahoe. But, Damn you guys are good!
No doubt, there's a lot of serious talent out there, but I think the chief reason for the better boats is the sharing of information over this forum. Many other boats including yours jump-started my creativity when building my first boat and I think it just keeps proliferating. Every time a great boat is launched, a new builder seems to take what was learned in that build and go another step forward. I've been on this forum for a little over five years now and have consistently seen better and better looking boats. It will be really exciting to see what's being built five year from now.

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 am

Bill, your Tahoe is amazing, and an important inspiration for our and many other builds. Yes this forrum is critical and thanks again to Glen-L. I brag that we used the internet almost entirely to build our boat. What an amazing time to be alive! More than enough quality information, resourses, images, tips, experienced advice, and hard to find bits at our fingertips miraculously aiding rooky first timer wannabees like me to realize a previous vapor ware dream to unfold before their very eyes. And even better than they originally thought possible.
Watch this phenomenon continue to impress as we forge into the exciting future.

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 am

I have to agree with the coments above.. I have wanted to build the Flats Flyer for 10yrs and kept puting it off... I found the Glen L Fourm.. started reading and it gave me the cofidence to get going on my build... and I have been building houses, apartments, cabinets and commercial work most all my life.. So I guess,, I need to say Thank You ...
The great information you have here is the best...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:56 am

Grampa Steve

Certainly didn't mean to highjack this thread. Just express my thoughts about your beautiful work!

Thanks all for your comments. I was honored when Barry Witt, Gayle's much much older brother, asked if I would document my build start to finish. We hoped it would help others and let others know about what they were taking on. I've confessed to many mistakes over time. Others have added much info over time. But, I think Barry's original intent has been met.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Here's a shot of the interior looking forward. We're still waiting on the redish maroon all weather snap in carpet that will also line the side pockets and glove box. We used a brushed band on the dash, and brushed tubulars for front foot rest, glove box handle and back seat hand grabs. You can also see the semi clear non skid step pads on each cockpit side. We finished and kept the routed "Plywood Frames" inner edges exposed as they proudly support the interior panels. The walk through (step over) is intended to double as an observer seat, and pick-nick basket shelf (notice the captain's cup (wine bottle) holder on the right side of the dash). Fun or what?

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am

This is looking really fine Steve. Makes me really want to get to the "making pretty" stage on my build.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Any chance you might bring your boat to this years gathering. Would love to see it in person.
Great looking job you should be very proud of what you have built.
Jeff

Return to “Hankinson designs”