Plywood frames?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DaveLott

Re: Plywood frames?

Post by DaveLott »

WOW---- love the flip up seat. Great job.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

alycat

Post by alycat »

Love it, love it , love it! :D
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Where did you get the transparent non-skid tape/appliques?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Andy, like so many other items on the boat we just search shopped "grip tape" on Ebay or Amazon. Great way to get excellent competitive pricing. If an item is more rare, or harder to find, a search on Google may turn up the necessary leads of what website to contact. Amazing time to be alive.

red

Post by red »

congrats on a beautiful boat great job

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Here she is cruising on Clearlake today next to Mt Kanocti at 2500 RPM, about 1/4 throttle and 20 mph.
I hope you can open this link;
https://vimeo.com/93211808

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Grampa Steve wrote:Here she is cruising on Clearlake today next to Mt Kanocti at 2500 RPM, about 1/4 throttle and 20 mph.
I hope you can open this link;
https://vimeo.com/93211808
Very Smooth!! Congratulations on a job well done!
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

billy c

Post by billy c »

Steve-
great to see her out there on the lake! she can cruise all day like that, with your arm resting comfortably on the coverboard
...but she also knows how to respond to lots of throttle too pinning you to your seat :D
have fun out on the water
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Thanks Carl and Billy,

Such a well balanced and smooth running design. Great job Ken Hankinson!

Next I'll try to get some shots of it underway from another boat.

Say Billy, I've been an IO boat driver for most my life, and this is really my first experience with a traditional single screw inboard. It's going to take a lot to get used to the Belle Isle's dock handling characteristics. Other than lots of patient practice, do you have any tips you've learned with your Belle Isle i can use as I figure out how not to look like a total noob, or worse yet, scrape up those beautiful bright sides as she drifts wherever I don't want her to go?

billy c

Post by billy c »

Steve-
yeah a little different than the IO :D
funny how when you learned a long time ago that what you do automatically is hard to get down in words :)
i am sure there will be enhancements made to my quick thoughts on this, but here is a start...
best to set out in a situation where you do not need to navigate astern for a bit as you learn when the rudder becomes effective. basic navigation should be fine and familiar to you under power. learning to guide the stern of the boat when in reverse does take practice as you will will walk sideways with the prop until the rudder catches. (not always a bad thing though if you use it to your advantage). you can pull up to a dock in a similar fashion to your IO while your rudder is active and if you have planned ahead for the prop rotation to pull the stern, leave the rudder in the same position, shift into reverse and pull the stern into the dock leaving the bow in place!
practice and planning are your friends as you learn to work with the inboard. after you get some hours under your belt, you will learn how to make the rudder catch quickly when operating astern and make that beautiful launch from the ramp. :D
then again a little wind and current thrown in and you can really look like a clown :lol:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Thanks Billy, great to hear that the rudder does catch at some point going backwards. Can't wait to see how mine does that, as I explore further handling characteristics.
Do you use a wooden paddle for any docking? (Right now mine is used to hold open the engine hatch lol)

slug

Post by slug »

Steve; I've found on the Titan (I know totally different boat, but still an inboard ) that my best aproach to docking is to come in on an angle slowly, stop solidly, then crank the wheel and give a shot of throttle to pull the stern in without moving forward. Takes some practice to perfect, but works for me (most of the time :shock: )
As for backing up....ask the boat which way she wants to go....and play along :lol:
Doug

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

4000 RPM @ 35 MPH, smooth as silk with my soul mate Hannelore at the helm.

http://vimeo.com/95079131?email_id=Y2xp ... urce=email

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

This is what I know about inboard with rudders. And that is that it takes a lot of getting use to. On my 66 Century Resorter when you back up off the trailer of away from the dock or off the boat lift, I turns all by it's self in one direction regardless of how the steering wheel is turned. When I put her on the boat lift I come in slow and take it out of gear and use reverse to slow down, then bump it in gear to go forward and reverse to stop until I get it started on the bunks the put in to forward to get all the way in. Never touching the Foot throttle. If it is windy or the water is rough you need a docking pole with a hook on it to grab hole of something to pull your self on the trailer or boat lift.
I have been told that a bigger rudder eliminates some of the backing problems.
Most inboards will not steer unless the prop is turning at least idle rpm.
They are fun to drive until you get some time behind the wheel.
Jeff

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

There is just nothing like that feeling. Out on nice water with few other boats, just cruising listening to the engine hum. Who needs a radio?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”